help requested: lost drive/partition - ntfs to 'raw'?

help requested: lost drive/partition - ntfs to 'raw'?

Post by M » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 01:23:02

I have a maxtor 160gb drive that I was using to store and back up files.
Last week my computer crashed (hardware) and I moved my primary drive and
backup drive (160gb) to another computer while I fix my primary system.
After a few days the backup drive started acting funny, and blocking access
to certain folders(it wasnt the typical "you dont have permission" it was
"..the folder is moved or gone.." - i don't remember exactly.

I rebooted my system and when it came up the D: drive was gone. The drive
letter was there, but it said I needed to format it to gain access. I did a
chkdsk d: and it said, "chkdsk cannot check RAW partitions". I tried some
(most) data recovery software to get anything back, but it was slim-
pickens.

I had about 110 gb's of data that I cannot replace, so I am a little
deparate to do what I can to get some/all of the data back.

here is what I have tried, and I would appreciate any further help.

- CHKDSK: (message: "cannot check Raw partitions")

- Partition Magic/"Check for errors": (no errors)

- Maxtor Powermax/Advanced Disk Checker: (drive in perfect condition)

- Getdataback Software: recovered about a 100mb of files

- Disk Commander: could not recover anything

- EasyRecovery: (not finshed yet..)

- I tried putting 160gb on a promise ultra133 ide card, and SIIG Ultra 66
card (no results)

-- if there are any other utilities, or if there is something else I should
try -- please let me know.

Thank You, Mike

   http://www.newsfeed.com       The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

1. Compression of NTFS Partitions - Pro's & Con's

All my partitions on a Seagate SCSI hard drive are NTFS.  Is it good
practice to compress all the NTFS partitions.  Tech support folks have told
me that under WinNT4 that performance is a bit better with compressed NTFS
partitions?  Is the same true of Win2000 Professional SP1?

Put another way are there reasons to compress NTFS partitions other than too
save space? What are the disadvantages of compressed NTFS partitions. Can
NTFS partitions be uncompressed and if so is there a utility to do this in
Win2000 Professional?

Joe Henry

2. Sync to non-default outlook calendar

3. Hard drive partition problem Win2k Pro (Raw Partition)

4. transputer. dead ?

5. Why do you feel a need to point this out?

6. Why does win98 always '20 times/day' check my A: drive 'HELP'

7. Netdetect

8. Help w/Win2000 NTFS partitions and NT 4.0 NTFS partitions.

9. remove 'everyone' group from root of NTFS drive?

10. Direct Cable Connection can't see 'host' as drive on 'guest'

11. Page File '''HELP'''

12. Help--erase hard drive, partition, and reinstall 3 O/S's