Cluster: nodes in different subnets

Post by Raine » Tue, 30 Jul 2002 05:08:37

Hi,

we plan to set up a cluster and the two nodes are at different locations and
in different IP subnets. Both nodes have two NICs, one for the local net and
one for the cluster-"heartbeat".

As far as I know the Heartbeat-NICs have to be in the same IP subnet, or you
can solve that at the Switch/Router with a V-LAN.
But the network NICs can be in different IP subnets.

Is that true and is there no problem with the failover if they are in
different ip subnets ?
Thanks for your comments.

Regards,
Rainer

Cluster: nodes in different subnets

Post by Chirs Whitaker [Microsoft » Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:32:05

All the networks have to be in the same subnets. I.e. all
private NICs have to be in the same subnet and all public
NICs must be in the same subnet.

Note: A cluster that spans multiple sites is known as a
geographically dispersed cluster. For these to be
supported by Microsoft, they must appear on the
geographically dispersed cluster HCL.

There is a whitepaper on MS.COM that describes the things
you should think about
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?
url=/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/maintain/optimize
/geoclust.asp

Chris Whitaker
Lead Program Manager (CLuster Technologies)
Microsoft

confers no rights.
You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft
Corporation. All rights reserved.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,

>we plan to set up a cluster and the two nodes are at

different locations and
Quote:>in different IP subnets. Both nodes have two NICs, one

for the local net and
Quote:>one for the cluster-"heartbeat".

>As far as I know the Heartbeat-NICs have to be in the

same IP subnet, or you
Quote:>can solve that at the Switch/Router with a V-LAN.

Post by jws403 » Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:32:21

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,

>we plan to set up a cluster and the two nodes are at

different locations and
Quote:>in different IP subnets. Both nodes have two NICs, one

for the local net and
Quote:>one for the cluster-"heartbeat".

>As far as I know the Heartbeat-NICs have to be in the

same IP subnet, or you
Quote:>can solve that at the Switch/Router with a V-LAN.
>But the network NICs can be in different IP subnets.

>Is that true and is there no problem with the failover if
they are in
>different ip subnets ?
>Thanks for your comments.

>Regards,
>Rainer

>.

1. clustered node fail to boot up while another node is running Cluster Service

I set up two computers for Clustering an application.
I install primary Active Direcotry on first node and
backup Active Directory on second node. These two nodes
are connected to an external SCSI harddisk. I don't have
external SCSI termninator, so I use ther internal
terminator in Host Adaptor (set termination to Automatic):

FirstNode ---- SCSI Harddisk --- SecondNode

I disable the "write cache" , "send start unit command"
and "reset SCSI bus" options of my two Adaptec 2950 UW
SCSI host adapter.

I have installed the Cluster successfully and the standby
server(say, server 1) will failover once the active server
(say, server 2)is down. However, server 2 will fail to
boot up. It will supspend just before the "Starting"
windows boot up screen is shown. And If I stop the cluster
service in server 1, server 2 will resume the booting
immediately.

Anybody can help me? what's wrong with my configurations ?
or I need to install external SCSI terminators ?

Thanks in advance

Ben

2. Online ordering of Onyx products

3. clustered node fail to boot up while another node is running Cluster

4. Which CD-RW ?

5. Cluster services on secobdry node of my cluster service has stopped

6. Using Boris Fomitchev's SGI STL with CW11

7. Cluster (MSCS) - Node failing to join cluster

8. (none)

9. Cluster Error On Node 2 - Cluster Error.PNG [0/5]

10. Different subnet assigned to different ports in RRAS

11. different scopes for different subnets...

12. Ctrl+Ins, Shift+Ins, Shift+cursor

13. A single computer being a node on 2 different networks