How can I send a message to another station???

How can I send a message to another station???

Post by Alan Kamrowski I » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 03:51:49

How can I send a message to another station???  I am not talking about
email, just a one line message like "I'm taking the server down" or "Please
logout", etc.  Novell has a send utility I used to use, is there an
equivalent utility for Windows networks?

Thanks,

Alan

How can I send a message to another station???

Post by Matt Y » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 05:02:15

Open a command promtp and type NET SEND /?

That will give you the info you need.

--

Matt Y.

Change SFL to "schwagfl and nospam to "home"

Quote:> How can I send a message to another station???  I am not talking about
> email, just a one line message like "I'm taking the server down" or
"Please
> logout", etc.  Novell has a send utility I used to use, is there an
> equivalent utility for Windows networks?

> Thanks,

> Alan

How can I send a message to another station???

Post by Aby Norma » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 14:50:22

You can do this from the Server Manager or from a command prompt, net send
workstation_or_username your message or as Matt Y. said, do a net send /?

How can I send a message to another station???

Post by Alan Kamrowski I » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 01:42:02

Matt,

Thanks--that worked great!

Alan

How can I send a message to another station???

Post by Alan Kamrowski I » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 01:42:04

Aby,

Thanks--I'll give that a try!

Alan

1. PREVENT INCOMING MESSAGES SENT VIA NET SEND /DOMAIN

Have you thought to disable the messenger service on the server?

Allen

--
Allen Harkleroad
Microsoft MVP - Windows 2000, Networking, IE and Office

Please keep questions in the newsgroups, so others
can benefit.

"J'ai juste peint votre de chat jaune"

Emailed questions will not be answered

---------------------

Hi Everybody,
                      We have a Windows network setup. People on other
workstations often used to send
                       unnecessary messages to my Windows 2000 machine using
the NET SEND command.
                       Tired of being unnecessarily interrupted, I changed
the properties of Windows Messenger
                       Service from the Services window. It was automatic
earlier- I changed it to Manual.
                      So now Messenger Service does not automatically
startup.
                     There are certain default processes which MUST be
running in Windows 2000 (the list is
                     given in:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q263/2/01.ASP ). If any of
these
                     processes are'nt then I can expect my Windows 2000
machine to crash. The Windows
                     Messenger Service is however not listed as a default
process.
                    But I would like to confirm whether switching off this
service would cause any hazards or
                    damage to my system?
                    Isnt there another way to prevent incoming message
alerts from other Windows machines
                    on my Windows network, specifically any way to prevent
messages coming from a PARTICULAR
                    Windows machine? Partiularly I would like to know
whether any variation of the NET command
                     would do the trick? What does NET SESSION
[\\computername] [/DELETE] do?
                    Thanks in advance. I am posting this question in the
following newsgroups as well:

                    to get attention, as this is a very serious problem that
I am facing.

snodx

2. Rt Click menus keep popping up by themselves

3. how to send message to whole network through net send Command

4. Violence in the Media

5. How do I send multiple line messages with Net Send

6. Unexpected Status $40/$00

7. PREVENT INCOMING MESSAGES SENT VIA NET SEND /DOMAIN

8. Blacklist/Censorship/Trolling

9. how to send message to whole network through net send

10. How can I schedule a Net Send Message to Send once a day automatically

11. Sending message to all domain users with NET SEND

12. Sent folder not registering sent messages

13. problem acceding my Win2000 station from a Win98 station