HOWTO: allow user to install programs

Post by Dale » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 08:53:20

Environment : small network with W2K server. Some users can
log onto network using the server as a workstation.
I would like these users to be able to install software from
the internet - e.g., msn chat, msn game zone (all java
programs).

With account set as default User privilege, there is
insufficient rights to install. In W2K help, so far I've
only found info related to Add/Remove programs. I've looked
through Domain, Group, & Local policy settings & don't see
anything promising. The only default group that seems to
have sufficient rights to install is admin group - not
something I want to do.

Can anyone point me to documentation or help out with
required policy/group settings that would allow this without
leaving the doors wide open?

Thanks,

Dale Sampson

HOWTO: allow user to install programs

Post by Ben Roubice » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 05:04:44

in the group policy for your domain, there is a key that you can change to
elevate installation privileges.  i think its called "Always install with
elevated privileges".  i think in order for this to work, the appliation
must use an installshield with the windows installer.  the key is located in
Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows
Components->Windows Installer.  i have been using it and i have been
relatively successful with it. hope this helps

--
Ben J. Roubicek
Database Administrator / Web Developer

Quote:> Environment : small network with W2K server. Some users can
> log onto network using the server as a workstation.
> I would like these users to be able to install software from
> the internet - e.g., msn chat, msn game zone (all java
> programs).

> With account set as default User privilege, there is
> insufficient rights to install. In W2K help, so far I've
> only found info related to Add/Remove programs. I've looked
> through Domain, Group, & Local policy settings & don't see
> anything promising. The only default group that seems to
> have sufficient rights to install is admin group - not
> something I want to do.

> Can anyone point me to documentation or help out with
> required policy/group settings that would allow this without
> leaving the doors wide open?

> Thanks,

> Dale Sampson

HOWTO: allow user to install programs

Post by Chris Collin » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 01:11:43

But this doesnt solve the problem if you are installing lets say FLASH
Plugin from the net.  There has to be another way other than pushing down a
MSI file or giving the user admin rights.

> in the group policy for your domain, there is a key that you can change to
> elevate installation privileges.  i think its called "Always install with
> elevated privileges".  i think in order for this to work, the appliation
> must use an installshield with the windows installer.  the key is located
in
> Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows
> Components->Windows Installer.  i have been using it and i have been
> relatively successful with it. hope this helps

> --
> Ben J. Roubicek
> Database Administrator / Web Developer
> Student Computing Services
> Information Technology
> Washington State University
> Work: (509)335-0605
> Pager: (509)334-5056

> > Environment : small network with W2K server. Some users can
> > log onto network using the server as a workstation.
> > I would like these users to be able to install software from
> > the internet - e.g., msn chat, msn game zone (all java
> > programs).

> > With account set as default User privilege, there is
> > insufficient rights to install. In W2K help, so far I've
> > only found info related to Add/Remove programs. I've looked
> > through Domain, Group, & Local policy settings & don't see
> > anything promising. The only default group that seems to
> > have sufficient rights to install is admin group - not
> > something I want to do.

> > Can anyone point me to documentation or help out with
> > required policy/group settings that would allow this without
> > leaving the doors wide open?

> > Thanks,

> > Dale Sampson

1. HOWTO: allow user to install programs

Environment : small network with W2K server. Some users can
log onto network using the server as a workstation.
I would like these users to be able to install software from
the internet - e.g., msn chat, msn game zone (all java
programs).

With account set as default User privilege, there is
insufficient rights to install. In W2K help, so far I've
only found info related to Add/Remove programs. I've looked
through Domain, Group, & Local policy settings & don't see
anything promising. The only default group that seems to
have sufficient rights to install is admin group - not
something I want to do.

Can anyone point me to documentation or help out with
required policy/group settings that would allow this without
leaving the doors wide open?

Thanks,

Dale Sampson

2. VPN Client suports L2TP for Windows 9x with Windows 2000

3. Allowing users to install programs after logging in

4. moving desktop files - PC to Mac

5. How to allow user to install program on their own workstation

6. FREE SOHO Software Suite

7. Allowing Users to Install Programs?

8. Allow users to install programs

9. allow user to install programs

10. Allowing users to install programs

11. allow user to access newly installed programs

12. program to fake win2k to allow win9x programs to install