Win2k can't read selected boot disk

Post by Damia » Sun, 30 Jun 2002 00:40:40

I recently installed Win2k(SP2) and win98 on a dual boot
setting.  Since Win2k has issues with my Promise Ultra
ATA\100 TX2 PCI IDE controller on installations.  I had my
C:(win98) on the motherboards secondary IDE port in the
master setting and my D:(win2k) on the slave setting.  Now
I have moved both drives over to my PCI card.  The win98
drive is on port1 on the master setting and the win2k is
on port2 with a master setting.  When I boot win98 it
works fine.  When I try to boot win2k it gives me a
message like this:

Win2k server could not start because of a computer disk
hardware configuration problem.  Could not read from the
selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

Here is what my boot.ini file looks like:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=signature(df17174b)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)
\WINNT
[operating systems]
signature(df17174b)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)
\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Server" /fastdetect
C:\ = "Microsoft Windows 98"

Can I just change this boot.ini file around, or do I have
to do somehting else?  I have tried running a repair on
the drives through the win2k CD. I know this should work
because when I first got the card everything worked fine
until my recent reinstallations of the OS's.

Thanks!
Damian
.

1. Win2k can't read selected boot disk

[...]

2. Not receiving all emails - MSN Explorer

3. seup gives 'disk read error' for ok disk and drive...

4. k5b6 kadmind5 on Solaris 2.4

5. Can't read boot disk

6. Python vs. Object REXX?

7. Win2K doesn't read the disk after hibernation

8. efs & dired-x

9. Q: re 'boot' disk/files for a mirrored disk

10. Datagram socket failure on read select under win2k and xp

11. 'A disk read error occurred' can you help me please?

12. Win2k Will Not Boot - But a Win2k Boot Disk will?

13. W2k Install Error... Could not read from the selected boot disk check boot path and disk hardware