VPN and DNS Resovler Issue

Post by Ralph R. Ry » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Question:

Has anyone figured out how to have the client of a PPTP connection use the
DNS server info supplied by the RRAS server before DNS server info already
on the client?

Example:

I have a cable modem connection at home, so my machine has DNS info bound to
the NIC.  I get connected to my corp. lan with PPTP and the PPTP server
assigns me a DNS server address.  My corp. LAN uses private addressing
(172.16.X.X).  I would like to connect to resources on the corp. LAN by dns
name and not have to use IP or add host entries in my host file.  It appears
all that I need to do is change the order of dns servers; from the NIC DNS
server to the PPP PPTP DNS servers.

Anyone figure this out?

Otherwise I am going to setup a Win2k server at home, that will be DNS
secondary to my primary DNS server at work, and assign that DNS server to my
NIC DNS server address.

Thanks

Ralph

VPN and DNS Resovler Issue

Post by Malcolm Sol » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Set up the DNS to use in the IP properties of the VPN connection. Those will
apply to that connection.

Malcolm

Quote:> Question:

> Has anyone figured out how to have the client of a PPTP connection use the
> DNS server info supplied by the RRAS server before DNS server info already
> on the client?

> Example:

> I have a cable modem connection at home, so my machine has DNS info bound
> the NIC.  I get connected to my corp. lan with PPTP and the PPTP server
> assigns me a DNS server address.  My corp. LAN uses private addressing
> (172.16.X.X).  I would like to connect to resources on the corp. LAN by
dns
> name and not have to use IP or add host entries in my host file.  It
appears
> all that I need to do is change the order of dns servers; from the NIC DNS
> server to the PPP PPTP DNS servers.

> Anyone figure this out?

> Otherwise I am going to setup a Win2k server at home, that will be DNS
> secondary to my primary DNS server at work, and assign that DNS server to
my
> NIC DNS server address.

> Thanks

> Ralph

1. VPN-dns issue and gateway issue

Alright, I'm running Win2K Server SP3 and Windows XP
Clients.
VPN is pretty straight forward and users can connect.
The problem I have is that when a user connects, they get
their ip address (i.e.192.168.0.55), users on the LAN
begin to experience degrading performance on the network
as packets begin to get confused (I think).  If you ping
the ip address from inside the lan, it resolves to the
server's name (192.168.0.55=server) instead of the remote
pc.
The remote user can't access network resources but when I
delete the added dns entry for the ip address
192.168.0.55 = server, then suddenly it can ping and
connect to the server.  This doesn't work all the time,
only when it adds the entry.  If it doesn't add the
entry, I simply can't connect to any network resources.
This seems like two problems a routing and a dns issue.
Any help?  Thanks!
Eric

2. REVIEW: GO TYPE KEYBOARD

3. VPN windows2000 dns checkpoint issues

4. Can't install newsreader....

5. VPN Win2k Pro DNS Issue

6. Need help with the graphics package

7. VPN & DNS issues

8. Phone and modem

9. AD DNS and VPN issue

10. VPN DNS Issue

11. VPN and DNS Name resolution performance issue

12. VPN issue for End users, VPN end point multiple subnets adding static routes on the fly ?

13. Win98 DNS Issue using Win2k DNS