Floppy Disk read failure in W2K/XP

Post by Sideshow Bo » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 11:20:14

I have a problem with reading floppy disks in my A & B floppy drives in W2K
and XP. When I put a disk in either of the drives, Windows Explorer will
read the first one fine. When it's removed and another inserted it continues
to read and display the contents of the first floppy disk when the drive is
accessed.
This goes on and on with any disk after the first. I originally thought it
was a
hardware failure of some type but when I boot it up in DOS mode with an old
98SE boot disk, both drives read floppies individually just like they're
supposed to.

I first noticed this computer doing this with XP Pro installed. I figured it
was corrupted somehow so I wiped it and reinstalled Win2000 Pro but it does
it now too. I physically replaced the two floppy drives which made no
difference.
I have no idea how to fix this. It seems to be within Windows itself. Any
ideas what to try. TIA.

Floppy Disk read failure in W2K/XP

Post by Beauregard T. Shagnast » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 11:37:46

Did you try to Refresh after inserting the second disk? With Explorer's A drive in focus, press F5 or View/Refresh.

   bts

> I have a problem with reading floppy disks in my A & B floppy drives in W2K
> and XP. When I put a disk in either of the drives, Windows Explorer will
> read the first one fine. When it's removed and another inserted it continues
> to read and display the contents of the first floppy disk when the drive is
> accessed.
> This goes on and on with any disk after the first. I originally thought it
> was a
> hardware failure of some type but when I boot it up in DOS mode with an old
> 98SE boot disk, both drives read floppies individually just like they're
> supposed to.

> I first noticed this computer doing this with XP Pro installed. I figured it
> was corrupted somehow so I wiped it and reinstalled Win2000 Pro but it does
> it now too. I physically replaced the two floppy drives which made no
> difference.
> I have no idea how to fix this. It seems to be within Windows itself. Any
> ideas what to try. TIA.

Floppy Disk read failure in W2K/XP

Post by Sideshow Bo » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 11:58:27

Yes, I have. Same result.

Did you try to Refresh after inserting the second disk? With Explorer's A
drive in focus, press F5 or View/Refresh.

   bts

Quote:> I have a problem with reading floppy disks in my A & B floppy drives in
W2K
> and XP. When I put a disk in either of the drives, Windows Explorer will
> read the first one fine. When it's removed and another inserted it
continues
> to read and display the contents of the first floppy disk when the drive
is
> accessed.
> This goes on and on with any disk after the first. I originally thought it
> was a
> hardware failure of some type but when I boot it up in DOS mode with an
old
> 98SE boot disk, both drives read floppies individually just like they're
> supposed to.

> I first noticed this computer doing this with XP Pro installed. I figured
it
> was corrupted somehow so I wiped it and reinstalled Win2000 Pro but it
does
> it now too. I physically replaced the two floppy drives which made no
> difference.
> I have no idea how to fix this. It seems to be within Windows itself. Any
> ideas what to try. TIA.

Floppy Disk read failure in W2K/XP

Post by Stuart Sutherlan » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 12:06:09

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:20:14 -0500, "Sideshow Bob"

>I have a problem with reading floppy disks in my A & B floppy drives in W2K
>and XP. When I put a disk in either of the drives, Windows Explorer will
>read the first one fine. When it's removed and another inserted it continues
>to read and display the contents of the first floppy disk when the drive is
>accessed.
>This goes on and on with any disk after the first. I originally thought it
>was a
>hardware failure of some type but when I boot it up in DOS mode with an old
>98SE boot disk, both drives read floppies individually just like they're
>supposed to.

>I first noticed this computer doing this with XP Pro installed. I figured it
>was corrupted somehow so I wiped it and reinstalled Win2000 Pro but it does
>it now too. I physically replaced the two floppy drives which made no
>difference.
>I have no idea how to fix this. It seems to be within Windows itself. Any
>ideas what to try. TIA.

Have you tried disconnecting one of the drives and see if that works
OK.  Try a different cable?

Stuart Sutherland

Floppy Disk read failure in W2K/XP

Post by Richard Urba » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 12:37:15

Funny! I have used both Sony and Teac floppy drives in Win2K and WinXP
without any such problems!

Quote:> I have a problem with reading floppy disks in my A & B floppy drives in
W2K
> and XP. When I put a disk in either of the drives, Windows Explorer will
> read the first one fine. When it's removed and another inserted it
continues
> to read and display the contents of the first floppy disk when the drive
is
> accessed.
> This goes on and on with any disk after the first. I originally thought it
> was a
> hardware failure of some type but when I boot it up in DOS mode with an
old
> 98SE boot disk, both drives read floppies individually just like they're
> supposed to.

> I first noticed this computer doing this with XP Pro installed. I figured
it
> was corrupted somehow so I wiped it and reinstalled Win2000 Pro but it
does
> it now too. I physically replaced the two floppy drives which made no
> difference.
> I have no idea how to fix this. It seems to be within Windows itself. Any
> ideas what to try. TIA.

Floppy Disk read failure in W2K/XP

Post by Colon Terminu » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 14:06:01

VIA chipset, huh? ABIT mobo?

These are common problems and there ain't no way around it.

Live with it -or- replace the mobo.

Quote:> I have a problem with reading floppy disks in my A & B floppy drives in
W2K
> and XP. When I put a disk in either of the drives, Windows Explorer will
> read the first one fine. When it's removed and another inserted it
continues
> to read and display the contents of the first floppy disk when the drive
is
> accessed.
> This goes on and on with any disk after the first. I originally thought it
> was a
> hardware failure of some type but when I boot it up in DOS mode with an
old
> 98SE boot disk, both drives read floppies individually just like they're
> supposed to.

> I first noticed this computer doing this with XP Pro installed. I figured
it
> was corrupted somehow so I wiped it and reinstalled Win2000 Pro but it
does
> it now too. I physically replaced the two floppy drives which made no
> difference.
> I have no idea how to fix this. It seems to be within Windows itself. Any
> ideas what to try. TIA.

Floppy Disk read failure in W2K/XP

Post by CA Blond » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 18:32:28

This is (almost) always caused by a bad cable connection or a bad cable.
What's happening is that the system will not re-read the floppy disk unless
it receives a signal from pin 34 on the drive (the drive change signal). I
would suggest replacing the cable with a known good one, just to be sure
that isn't the problem.

HTH,

Amanda

Quote:> I have a problem with reading floppy disks in my A & B floppy drives in
W2K
> and XP. When I put a disk in either of the drives, Windows Explorer will
> read the first one fine. When it's removed and another inserted it
continues
> to read and display the contents of the first floppy disk when the drive
is
> accessed.
> This goes on and on with any disk after the first. I originally thought it
> was a
> hardware failure of some type but when I boot it up in DOS mode with an
old
> 98SE boot disk, both drives read floppies individually just like they're
> supposed to.

> I first noticed this computer doing this with XP Pro installed. I figured
it
> was corrupted somehow so I wiped it and reinstalled Win2000 Pro but it
does
> it now too. I physically replaced the two floppy drives which made no
> difference.
> I have no idea how to fix this. It seems to be within Windows itself. Any
> ideas what to try. TIA.

Floppy Disk read failure in W2K/XP

Post by Bob Irela » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 23:50:59

And it's funny how the problem only occurs in NT "operating" systems.

Bob I.

> Funny! I have used both Sony and Teac floppy drives in Win2K and WinXP
> without any such problems!

> > I have a problem with reading floppy disks in my A & B floppy drives in
> W2K
> > and XP. When I put a disk in either of the drives, Windows Explorer will
> > read the first one fine. When it's removed and another inserted it
> continues
> > to read and display the contents of the first floppy disk when the drive
> is
> > accessed.
> > This goes on and on with any disk after the first. I originally thought
it
> > was a
> > hardware failure of some type but when I boot it up in DOS mode with an
> old
> > 98SE boot disk, both drives read floppies individually just like they're
> > supposed to.

> > I first noticed this computer doing this with XP Pro installed. I
figured
> it
> > was corrupted somehow so I wiped it and reinstalled Win2000 Pro but it
> does
> > it now too. I physically replaced the two floppy drives which made no
> > difference.
> > I have no idea how to fix this. It seems to be within Windows itself.
Any
> > ideas what to try. TIA.

Floppy Disk read failure in W2K/XP

Post by Bruce Chamber » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 23:58:17

Greetings --

    Defective drives, clearly.

HTH&GL,

Bruce Chambers
__
Any priest or shaman must be presumed guilty until proved innocent. -- RAH

Quote:> I have a problem with reading floppy disks in my A & B floppy drives in
W2K
> and XP. When I put a disk in either of the drives, Windows Explorer will
> read the first one fine. When it's removed and another inserted it
continues
> to read and display the contents of the first floppy disk when the drive
is
> accessed.
> This goes on and on with any disk after the first. I originally thought it
> was a
> hardware failure of some type but when I boot it up in DOS mode with an
old
> 98SE boot disk, both drives read floppies individually just like they're
> supposed to.

> I first noticed this computer doing this with XP Pro installed. I figured
it
> was corrupted somehow so I wiped it and reinstalled Win2000 Pro but it
does
> it now too. I physically replaced the two floppy drives which made no
> difference.
> I have no idea how to fix this. It seems to be within Windows itself. Any
> ideas what to try. TIA.

Floppy Disk read failure in W2K/XP

Post by Sideshow Bo » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 01:22:43

You were correct. I replaced the cable and they work as they should now.
Thanks for the responses.

Post by Jay Bolly » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 06:29:39

> You were correct. I replaced the cable and they work as they should now.
> Thanks for the responses.

> > This is (almost) always caused by a bad cable connection or a bad cable.
> > What's happening is that the system will not re-read the floppy disk
> unless
> > it receives a signal from pin 34 on the drive (the drive change signal).
> > would suggest replacing the cable with a known good one, just to be sure
> > that isn't the problem.
> > HTH,
> > Amanda

This is a bit confusing to me. I thought verifying diskette drive operation
(when the system is booted to DOS) would rule out hardware / cables as the
cause of the problem.

Post by Sideshow Bo » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 07:22:45

> > You were correct. I replaced the cable and they work as they should now.
> > Thanks for the responses.

> > > This is (almost) always caused by a bad cable connection or a bad
cable.
> > > What's happening is that the system will not re-read the floppy disk
> > unless
> > > it receives a signal from pin 34 on the drive (the drive change
signal).
> > > would suggest replacing the cable with a known good one, just to be
sure
> > > that isn't the problem.
> > > HTH,
> > > Amanda

> This is a bit confusing to me. I thought verifying diskette drive
operation
> (when the system is booted to DOS) would rule out hardware / cables as the
> cause of the problem.

So did I. That was why I posted the the question. Because they worked
normally in DOS and at bootup I figured it had to be some internal Windows
configuration problem. Nevertheless, replacing the cable is what worked.

Floppy Disk read failure in W2K/XP

Post by Bob Irela » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 07:49:35

Just curious as to how you came to the conclusion that all 4 floppy drives
he's tried, are defective?

Bob I.

Post by CA Blond » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 10:51:18

> > You were correct. I replaced the cable and they work as they should now.
> > Thanks for the responses.

> > > This is (almost) always caused by a bad cable connection or a bad
cable.
> > > What's happening is that the system will not re-read the floppy disk
> > unless
> > > it receives a signal from pin 34 on the drive (the drive change
signal).
> > > would suggest replacing the cable with a known good one, just to be
sure
> > > that isn't the problem.
> > > HTH,
> > > Amanda

> This is a bit confusing to me. I thought verifying diskette drive
operation
> (when the system is booted to DOS) would rule out hardware / cables as the
> cause of the problem.

Hi Jay...

I really don't have an answer as to why the drives worked correctly under
DOS but not Windows. However, the original problem (in Windows) is
indicative of a hardware problem. (I might hazard a guess that the cable was
distorting or weakening the drive change signal and the HAL couldn't read it
properly.????)

Oh well... glad it worked out. :)

Amanda

1. SP2 and floppy disk read failure

after installing SP2 I can no longer read any disks in my 3.5" floppy
drive.....anyone else experience this??  Drive works fine for booting....but
not once Windows starts and I try to read a disk. (light comes on then it
just hangs.  I cant even ctrl+alt+del to get to the task mgr.....I have to
hit the reset switch)  I first noticed this after I installed SP2.  Any
advice/comments??
TIA

2. W2K on Celeron

3. why does my floppy reads 3S floppy disk and not 3.5?

4. Looking for documentation to DECWAR...

5. intermittent failure to read floppy and cd rom drives

6. IMPORTING INTO R13

7. Datagram socket failure on read select under win2k and xp

8. Playing MIDI files on Keyboard

9. Second read of floppy disk

10. Floppy Disk read errors

11. Failure when copy to floppy disk

12. Floppy drive not reading disk

13. Format Unkown when reading floppy disks.