Has anyone been able to get srvinstw.exe to work properly?

Has anyone been able to get srvinstw.exe to work properly?

Post by Robert Gordo » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:23:40

We are trying to create a service on our Windows 2000 servers, from an
executable that one of our developers has written.

It appears that I am following the wizard correctly, but the service never
starts even when I assign it a local account to run from.

Any suggestions?

Has anyone been able to get srvinstw.exe to work properly?

Post by Gregory Phillip » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:07:13

It works fine for me.  Are you logged in as an administrator?

>We are trying to create a service on our Windows 2000 servers, from an
>executable that one of our developers has written.

>It appears that I am following the wizard correctly, but the service never
>starts even when I assign it a local account to run from.

>Any suggestions?

---

Has anyone been able to get srvinstw.exe to work properly?

Post by Robert Gordo » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:18:32

Yes.

It's odd.  I'm having the service use a domain login that should be listed
in a global group that I have made part of the local admin group on the
machine that I'm creating the service on.  This would seem to be the correct
method, and yet it still fails.

Removing services with the wizard works fine, which is why I'm more and more
convinced this is a permissions issue.

> It works fine for me.  Are you logged in as an administrator?

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:23:40 -0700, "Robert Gordon"

> >We are trying to create a service on our Windows 2000 servers, from an
> >executable that one of our developers has written.

> >It appears that I am following the wizard correctly, but the service
never
> >starts even when I assign it a local account to run from.

> >Any suggestions?

> ---

Has anyone been able to get srvinstw.exe to work properly?

Post by Joe Richard » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 14:53:16

Doesn't the class that you derived the service from within the code have a
/install method? Most of the service classes for writing service apps in the
last year or so have all had that method. Also an uninstall method. That way
you don't need to use sc or instsrv or srvinstw to install the services.

--
---
Joe Richards

Opinions expressed are, as always, Joe's and probably insulting to someone
somewhere so just relax. =)
http://www.joeware.net

Quote:> We are trying to create a service on our Windows 2000 servers, from an
> executable that one of our developers has written.

> It appears that I am following the wizard correctly, but the service never
> starts even when I assign it a local account to run from.

> Any suggestions?

1. Having big problems creating services using SRVINSTW.EXE from Win2K ResKit

I'm having major issues, trying to create services from executables, using
SRVINSTW.EXE from the Windows 2000 Pro Rssource Kit.

It can remove services just fine, and it appears to create them properly,
but when I try to run the services I continue to get the error stating that
the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
fashion.   I've tried running the service with a domain logon, local logon,
and system account and none of them work.

The service gets registered in the Registry, and everything looks right\ but
obviously not.

Any suggestions?

2. Cognos 7.4 Report Developer in MA (Please Local or near by consultants only)

3. Creating a service in 2000 using srvinstw.exe

4. sendmail sending large messages twice!

5. can't start service created by srvinstw.exe

6. URGENT HELP: damaged FAT by flip-virus

7. Can't start service created by srvinstw.exe; error 5

8. CFP: IJCAI-01 WS on Knowledge Management and Organizational Memory

9. am I the only one having problems getting of aelita's mailing lists?

10. Can anyone explain why I am getting this...?

11. Not able to get a new CDP working properly

12. Anyone ever heard of windrivers.exe, winntload.exe, bPP.exe, Shell32.exe or SystemRestorer.exe?