slow browsing on Win98 Client Shares

Post by Dartanian Mozambiqu » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

My second message was rude, but it was because of the flack I caught for the
first. I wanted to make a point, posting with a future date is wrong. As for
your previous message, I was referring to your bad grammar and your
typographical errors. If you are going to call someone a moron, it is
imperative that you don't make yourself look like one.

Joke or not, your first message wasn't what I was referring to. Not that you
would realize it, but that was a helpful message. The clock error may just
have been the problem. And it needed fixing anyway.

But, your second message *was* rude. "Jerk?" "Moron?" Assuming that the
clock error was deliberate? These are nothing if not rude comments.

Other than not taking the time to check my message for grammatical errors
and typos, can you tell me what other errors are extant in my message? I
stand by the contents, 100%.

Gary Terhune
Microsoft MVP-DTS

> My message wasn't rude, it was a joking way of telling him to fix his
date.
> The message you have just left is in fact the most rude message I've ever
> read in a newsgroup. By the numerous errors in your rude message, I can
> therefore assume you are the moron.
> Thanks,
> Dartanian

> I'm just lurking here, but Dartanian's message *was* rude and lacking in
any
> real input. I've spent a lot of time in NGs, and while it may be true that
> the occasional user sets the clock ahead for the purpose described, 99% of
> the time it is a simple, overlooked error that occurs when your in the
> middle of t-shooting some other process. Having an incorrect time set can
> cause a multitude of seemingly non-related problems and nobody but an
idioat
> would want it to be that way. And nobody but an idiot would post a message
> as rude as Dartanians... especially since it makes it obvious the he
himself
> is the moron--- it's clear he hasn't the slightest clue as to how easy it
is
> to remove a post-dated message from your list.

> Gary Terhune
> Microsoft MVP-DTS

> > I have to agree with Dartanian.  It's highly rude to set your system
date
> so
> > that your post is always at the top.  In most newsgroups, people who do
> this
> > won't get help.

> > > You know... This business is difficult enough.

> > > Those of us with some experience have seen
> > > things stranger than this, over the years.

> > > We don't need the confusion.
> > > Please, if you don't have something meaningful to add...
> > > don't add anything at all.

> > > Charlie

> at
> > > the

> > > message

Win2000
> > machine?
> share

slow browsing on Win98 Client Shares

Post by Gary Terhun » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

"If you are going to call someone a moron [or a jerk], it is
imperative that you don't make yourself look like one."

I couldn't have said it better myself, <g>.

Gary

> My second message was rude, but it was because of the flack I caught for the
> first. I wanted to make a point, posting with a future date is wrong. As for
> your previous message, I was referring to your bad grammar and your
> typographical errors. If you are going to call someone a moron, it is
> imperative that you don't make yourself look like one.

> Joke or not, your first message wasn't what I was referring to. Not that you
> would realize it, but that was a helpful message. The clock error may just
> have been the problem. And it needed fixing anyway.

> But, your second message *was* rude. "Jerk?" "Moron?" Assuming that the
> clock error was deliberate? These are nothing if not rude comments.

> Other than not taking the time to check my message for grammatical errors
> and typos, can you tell me what other errors are extant in my message? I
> stand by the contents, 100%.

> Gary Terhune
> Microsoft MVP-DTS

> > My message wasn't rude, it was a joking way of telling him to fix his
> date.
> > The message you have just left is in fact the most rude message I've ever
> > read in a newsgroup. By the numerous errors in your rude message, I can
> > therefore assume you are the moron.
> > Thanks,
> > Dartanian

> > I'm just lurking here, but Dartanian's message *was* rude and lacking in
> any
> > real input. I've spent a lot of time in NGs, and while it may be true that
> > the occasional user sets the clock ahead for the purpose described, 99% of
> > the time it is a simple, overlooked error that occurs when your in the
> > middle of t-shooting some other process. Having an incorrect time set can
> > cause a multitude of seemingly non-related problems and nobody but an
> idioat
> > would want it to be that way. And nobody but an idiot would post a message
> > as rude as Dartanians... especially since it makes it obvious the he
> himself
> > is the moron--- it's clear he hasn't the slightest clue as to how easy it
> is
> > to remove a post-dated message from your list.

> > Gary Terhune
> > Microsoft MVP-DTS

> > > I have to agree with Dartanian.  It's highly rude to set your system
> date
> > so
> > > that your post is always at the top.  In most newsgroups, people who do
> > this
> > > won't get help.

> > at

> Win2000
> > > machine?
> > share
> about

slow browsing on Win98 Client Shares

Post by Dartanian Mozambiqu » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

You are such a dumbass....and you act like you're 12.

> [...]

can
> > cause a multitude of seemingly non-related problems and nobody but an
> idioat
> > would want it to be that way. And nobody but an idiot would post a
message
> > as rude as Dartanians... especially since it makes it obvious the he
> himself
> > is the moron--- it's clear he hasn't the slightest clue as to how easy
it
> is
> > to remove a post-dated message from your list.

> > Gary Terhune
> > Microsoft MVP-DTS

> > > I have to agree with Dartanian.  It's highly rude to set your system
> date
> > so
> > > that your post is always at the top.  In most newsgroups, people who

in

> Win2000
> > > machine?
> > share
> about

slow browsing on Win98 Client Shares

Post by Ness » Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:00:00

*yawn*
hey guys... how about trying to own the sandpit instead.

--
Regards,

Vanessa Madden.
Customer Service Technical Representative

Phone: Support 1300 73 2222
Reception (03) 9251 3600
Fax    +61 3 9251 3649

slow browsing on Win98 Client Shares

Post by Dartanian Mozambiqu » Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Be careful Bob, I made a comment about this guy posting messages with future
dates and they jumped all over me. I guess to them it's acceptable behavior.

Post by Bob You » Fri, 28 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I don't know about the slow browser, but your PC is so fast you've
posted from the future.

Any stock tips for us

On Mon, 8 May 2000 16:35:26 -0400, "Jose Dominguez"

>Why is it that browsing shares on a Win98 machine from a Win2000 machine
>seems slow when compared to browsing them from another Win98 machine?  If I
>map a drive to the share, everything is OK when accessing the share via the
>mapped drive, but in order for me to view the share on the host machine it
>seems to take a long time (the flashlight icon appears for about 40sec).
>Has anyone else experienced this?  Any resolutions/ ideas?

>Thanks

Bob Young
NT Video Driver
Diamond\S3\VIA\...?

slow browsing on Win98 Client Shares

Post by Mark » Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for this tip Doug. I wanted to know how to get rid of them all from
the top if IE5..Blocked them all now..cheers :)

> Whenever I see a wrong date that keeps  someone at the top of the
newsfile,
> they are immediately added to my killfile and they and the message are
gone
> forever.
> regards,  Doug

> > Guess what, it was a joke. The jerk set his date ahead so he's always at
> the
> > top of the newsgroup (or else he's a moron).

> > > what kind of answer is that!  get real!

> message

> > machine
> machine?
> > > If
> > via
> > machine
> > > it
> > 40sec).

slow browsing on Win98 Client Shares

Post by Flemming Rii » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Why is it that browsing shares on a Win98 machine from a Win2000 machine

there is a MS/KB article with these sympsoms

Delay Viewing Shares on a Microsoft Windows 98 Based Computer From a Windows
2000 Based Computer

KB-ID = Q245800

regards
Flemming Riis