Windows 2000 DHCP server not updating reverse lookups in DNS server

Windows 2000 DHCP server not updating reverse lookups in DNS server

Post by Daniel Peterso » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:30:26

Hello,

    We have a Windows 2000 DHCP server, and linux servers running an
appropriate version of BIND doing our DNS

    When a lease expires, or a machines gets a different IP address, the
Windows 2000 DHCP server properly updates the forward lookup zone.  However,
it doesn't do anything with the reverse lookup zone.  Looking through the
DHCP prefs, I didn't see anything about specifically removing reverse
lookups.

     How can we set up our Win2K DHCP server to remove old reverse lookup
records????

Windows 2000 DHCP server not updating reverse lookups in DNS server

Post by Nick Heuse » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:13:22

The problem is not with DHCP, it's with BIND.  Are the reverse lookup zones
configured to allow dynamic updates?

Quote:> Hello,

>     We have a Windows 2000 DHCP server, and linux servers running an
> appropriate version of BIND doing our DNS

>     When a lease expires, or a machines gets a different IP address, the
> Windows 2000 DHCP server properly updates the forward lookup zone.
However,
> it doesn't do anything with the reverse lookup zone.  Looking through the
> DHCP prefs, I didn't see anything about specifically removing reverse
> lookups.

>      How can we set up our Win2K DHCP server to remove old reverse lookup
> records????

Windows 2000 DHCP server not updating reverse lookups in DNS server

Post by Daniel Peterso » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 06:34:11

Hello,

    The reverse lookup zones are configured to allow dynamic updates.  They
are configured the same as our forward lookup zones, which do work properly.

> The problem is not with DHCP, it's with BIND.  Are the reverse lookup
zones
> configured to allow dynamic updates?

> > Hello,

> >     We have a Windows 2000 DHCP server, and linux servers running an
> > appropriate version of BIND doing our DNS

> >     When a lease expires, or a machines gets a different IP address, the
> > Windows 2000 DHCP server properly updates the forward lookup zone.
> However,
> > it doesn't do anything with the reverse lookup zone.  Looking through
the
> > DHCP prefs, I didn't see anything about specifically removing reverse
> > lookups.

> >      How can we set up our Win2K DHCP server to remove old reverse
lookup
> > records????

1. Windows 2000 DNS Server ("Double Reverse" DNS Lookup)

I've set up a Windows 2000 DNS server.  Created a forward
and reverse lookup zone and added assosiated host and
pointer records.  Using nslookup I can verify that name
resolution and ip resolution (reverse lookup) seem to be
operating correctly.  Our DNS suffix is fedsun.navy.mil.
When attempting to contact a .mil site that performs
a "double reverse" dns lookup the site can't determine
that we are a .mil site.  Their test only returns the host
ip address not the dns name.  This is their test site
http://www.dtic.mil/test

I'm beginning to wonder if Windows 2000 DNS
supports "double reverse" dns lookups.  Any help would be
appreciated.

2. Acorn User 205 Java example on disc

3. Windows 2000 DHCP server won't delete reverse lookups

4. Compaq Fingerprint Login Device

5. DNS forward & reverse lookup in WIN 2000 Server

6. OCP timeline

7. DNS Reverse Lookup not updating

8. Accessing ACIA via register $FFFFFC00.

9. .Net Com Add-ins for Word 2000 does not register in Windows 2000 Server

10. windows 2000 server as secondary dns server & linux as primary dns server ??

11. Reverse DNS not updated on DHCP renewal

12. Reverse lookups fail from outside DNS servers

13. Win2000 Clients and NT DNS servers reverse lookup failure.