How to replace changed files only during backup?

How to replace changed files only during backup?

Post by levyda » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 12:06:42

I am running Microsoft Windows Backup v 5.0 on Windows
2000 Pro.  I wish to configure an incremental backup job
to replace only the files that have changed on the backup
media (so that I don't have to store multiple copies of
changed files).  Is this an possible?

Thanks

Please cc: my email

How to replace changed files only during backup?

Post by Mark Mancin » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 00:23:53

yes, you could use incremental or differential depending if you want to
clear the changed bit or not.

--

Sincerely,
Mark Mancini, CCA, CCNA, CNE 4-5, MCSA, Master CIW, MCSE+I NT4-2000

www.MCSE2000.com
www.AppLauncher.com

Quote:> I am running Microsoft Windows Backup v 5.0 on Windows
> 2000 Pro.  I wish to configure an incremental backup job
> to replace only the files that have changed on the backup
> media (so that I don't have to store multiple copies of
> changed files).  Is this an possible?

> Thanks

> Please cc: my email

How to replace changed files only during backup?

Post by levyda » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 05:55:51

Normal/Incremental only determines WHAT is archived.
Append/Replace determines HOW it is archived: Append keeps
old archives; Replace overwrites everything (even archives
that haven't changed) - there appears to be no inbetween
(i.e., keep unchanged, replace changed)?

Post by Mark Mancin » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 22:26:03

I see what you are saying now.  Is backup space that big of a concern?

--

Sincerely,
Mark Mancini, CCA, CCNA, CNE 4-5, MCSA, Master CIW, MCSE+I NT4-2000

www.MCSE2000.com
www.AppLauncher.com

> Normal/Incremental only determines WHAT is archived.
> Append/Replace determines HOW it is archived: Append keeps
> old archives; Replace overwrites everything (even archives
> that haven't changed) - there appears to be no inbetween
> (i.e., keep unchanged, replace changed)?

Post by levyda » Wed, 04 Sep 2002 02:44:35

Well, at 3 GB a night it starts to add up.  I checked with
Veritas, the makers of NTBackup.  They say what I want to
do isn't possible.

I'm going to resort to creating 7 different backup files
and jobs - one for each day of the week (1 normal and 6
incremental).  Each week will replace the previous' - much
more complicated than what I wanted though.

1. windows backup: "replace data on medium with this backup?"

I am trying to use the windows backup tool on Windows 2000. I am
trying to schedule a backup session, but on the wizard, it asks me if
I want to replace data on medium with backup?

Now, it would be a good goal to do this, but I want to be sure that
data is replaced only after it has first verified that the current
backup has been successful. In other words, will the windows backup
only overwrite the data after the new stuff has already been saved in
RAM or somewhere like that?

Also, if I am scheduling a normal backup once a week, and an
incremental backup on the other days of the week, do I choose  "append
the data to the medium" or "replace data on medium with backup? for
these incremental backups"? I'm assuming I will append the data for
incremental backups and replace data with normal backups.

If I do normal backups every week, how do I tell windows backup not to
do an incremental backup on the day I am doing a normal backup?

One more thing. I was going to make four separate backups, each of
different directories. The reason was that I wanted to prevent the
size of the backup file from becoming too large. The normal backup
could easily become 10 gigs or more. From a strategy point of view, is
it wise to use several different normal backups, or roll everything
into one big normal backup? I'm also thinking about bugs/error
messages. If I use several different normal backups, I am less likely
to screw everything up. On the other hand, it might make the backup
schedule way too complicated.

 What do you think?

Robert Nagle, idiotprogrammer, Austin, Texas

2. Welcome to comp.unix.shell [Frequent posting]

3. Win2K Backup stops during AD backup

4. Mode-switching times for monitors?

5. TMP files skipped during backup

6. Specs Wanted: Kodak PCD 225

7. Files in use skipped during Win2K Server (SBS 2000) backup?

8. "Busy" Files During Backup

9. Changing Windows file locations during upgrade

10. Replacing Windows Logo during Bootup by another (wallpaper) picture

11. Windows Backup changes file creation year from 2000 to 2009

12. Changing default backup log file location.