VPN over dial-up connection loose other internet connections

VPN over dial-up connection loose other internet connections

Post by vizo » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 15:13:17

Hi,

When I am connected to the Internet via dial-up, and when I run a VPN
connection, I loose my connection to the DNS's of my ISP.

How do I overcome this situation?

Thanks for answers

VPN over dial-up connection loose other internet connections

Post by Michael Luge » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00

This may help:

1 ) Select properties of your VPN connection
2 ) Select the networking tab
3) Select properties of TCP
4) Click the advanced button
5) Remove check mark 'Use default gateway on remote network'

Mike

Quote:> Hi,

> When I am connected to the Internet via dial-up, and when I run a VPN
> connection, I loose my connection to the DNS's of my ISP.

> How do I overcome this situation?

> Thanks for answers

VPN over dial-up connection loose other internet connections

Post by briso » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Does your ISP connection drop or just not able to surf?

You cannot surf while using VPN. That would take the "Private" out of
Virtual Private Network. BTW, I have the "use default gateway" checked
on mine with no problems connecting or staying connected.

Brian

> Hi,

> When I am connected to the Internet via dial-up, and when I run a VPN
> connection, I loose my connection to the DNS's of my ISP.

> How do I overcome this situation?

> Thanks for answers

VPN over dial-up connection loose other internet connections

Post by vizo » Thu, 28 Sep 2000 04:00:00

No lost connection, only no surfing, no mail, no news, no ping to the outer
world.

> Does your ISP connection drop or just not able to surf?

> You cannot surf while using VPN. That would take the "Private" out of
> Virtual Private Network. BTW, I have the "use default gateway" checked
> on mine with no problems connecting or staying connected.

> Brian

> > Hi,

> > When I am connected to the Internet via dial-up, and when I run a VPN
> > connection, I loose my connection to the DNS's of my ISP.

> > How do I overcome this situation?

> > Thanks for answers

VPN over dial-up connection loose other internet connections

Post by briso » Thu, 28 Sep 2000 04:00:00

As it should be... very secure connection to your network. Allowing the
outer world in while connected opens your network up to the bad guys.
Surfing under this setup would be slow anyhow. If I understand it
correctly VPN splits the connect speed in two. Half in and half out, so
a 46.6Kbps would be like surfing at 23.3Kbps or so.

I only allow the 128-bit high encryption into our site through our
firewall and authenticate the users off the firewall and the NT server.

Brian

> No lost connection, only no surfing, no mail, no news, no ping to the outer
> world.

> > Does your ISP connection drop or just not able to surf?

> > You cannot surf while using VPN. That would take the "Private" out of
> > Virtual Private Network. BTW, I have the "use default gateway" checked
> > on mine with no problems connecting or staying connected.

> > Brian

> > > Hi,

> > > When I am connected to the Internet via dial-up, and when I run a VPN
> > > connection, I loose my connection to the DNS's of my ISP.

> > > How do I overcome this situation?

> > > Thanks for answers

1. Loosing dial-up connection as soon as VPN connects?

I'm using a Win2k Pro to connect to a NT 4.0 VPN server behind a Cisco
firewall that is running NAT. (PPTP connection just in case you didn't know
already.)  As soon as I am registered on the domain, my dial-up connection
is supposedly killed therefore killing my VPN connection.  The weird thing
is that the dial-up connection is only dead for a split-second and comes
back.  Can anyone explain what the problem is? Is it me or my ISP?

I have a feeling that it is connected with the GRE protocol not working
correctly...am I on to something here?

Jeremy

2. Yamaha 4416s - skips

3. clients loose local connection using dial up VPN!

4. mgftp's performance

5. Server to Server VPN (both sides using dial-up modem internet connection) ?

6. Loan that doubles as a savings account

7. Internet connection sharing - insistent dial-ups

8. Analog Input- Start(AI)

9. Only the option dial-up to the internet is available, when creating new dial-up connection

10. Dial-up Connections loosing passwords

11. Dial-up Connection passwords and hang-ups

12. Internet connection through a VPN connection

13. VPN Connection disables internet connection...