help with DNS/DOMAIN issue? "No Logon Servers Available"

help with DNS/DOMAIN issue? "No Logon Servers Available"

Post by Alex Kelle » Sun, 08 Apr 2001 14:20:54

hello All,

I am attempting to resolve a networking issue and could use a swift kick
in the right direction.

I have one domain with an Win2000sp1 server (and NT4 BDCs) and one
domain with a NT4sp6 server (NT4 BDCs). NT4 and Win2000 laptop clients
on the local LAN are authenticated and access to resources is normal and
seamless between the two trusting/trusted domains. No IPSEC is used, no
firewalls, NetBEUI over TCP/IP (yes I know this is a "risk") is enabled
on clients and servers.

These same laptop clients (largely running win2000) leave the local LAN
and connect (public network dialup/dsl) to the server shares via NetBUEI
over TCP/IP and frontpage clients to an IIS server on the LAN.

When the laptop users are logging on (I guess through their cached
credentials?) to the NT4 based domain then access (NBT over TCP/IP and
IIS ports) to servers on BOTH domains is normal.

When the same laptops and users log on locally using the cached
credentials of the Win2000 based domain there is NO access to ANY
network resources from either domain. Trying to access the servers
through IP/DNS based UNC paths ( \\10.0.0.1 or \\server1.domain.edu) is
met with the error "there are currently no logon servers available to
service the logon request."

I should mention that the laptops are all members of the win2000 server
domain. There is a  two-way trust between the domains. Until 2 days ago
this was working just fine, now no access as I described. Some remote
users are domain admins for both domains and are stilled affected,
making we think this isn't a user/permission issue. Logs on the servers
look normal with just the occasional windows hiccup.

I suspect this is some sort of DNS/WINs issue but I don't know where to
start. I have tried some basically troubleshooting like deleting the
client profiles, readding the TCP/IP and NetBEUI protocols, etc but
really I am suspecting a server side problem. I am not really sure where
to go from here and could use some expert advice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,
Alex
Network Admin
California State University

help with DNS/DOMAIN issue? "No Logon Servers Available"

Post by Frank » Sun, 08 Apr 2001 20:33:35

Check if your W2K server is replicating properly.  If not, you may have an
AD/DNS issue to deal with first.  Possibly a kerberos out of time-sync
issue?

-Frank

Quote:> hello All,