Desktop shortcuts for URL pages will not open browser

Desktop shortcuts for URL pages will not open browser

Post by mm » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 07:52:48

When I click on a desktop Icon for a web page URL shortcut it will not open
the browser. I get an error message that the file is "not associated with a
program".

IF the browser (IE6.x) is already open, clicking the shortcut will work and
the particular web page will open.
But, it will not launch the shortcut if the browser is not open.

Under File Associations, I checked the only active URL listing, under "File
Types", "URL internet shortcut" and I have this string:

"rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l"

This is the SAME string that is on another similar computer I have and
everything works fine.

Help! Any ideas?

mm

1. Click on link = Popup of empty browser window -> Shortcut URL not recognized

Since two weeks it happens that when I click on a link of a web page
a new browser window pops up but without no content (or at most only the toolbar,
status bar and search field).
This happens with various web pages. So I assume its not a web page coding error but a setup
error of Internet Explorer or Win2000.

I am using IE 5.50.4807.2300 with Win2000+SP2
Surprisingly everything works find until approx. 2 weeks ago.

When I copy the shortcut via context menu and paste it into
the URL entry field of the new popped up browser window I can load
the new referred page. So I assume it is something with the transfer
of the shortcut link URL.

Which option did I switched unintentionally or is it a bug ?

Regards
Carl

2. using chat's exit codes (ppp 2.3)

3. Secure url paths do not open in any IE browser

4. Searching keywords in a LONGTEXT field

5. Address toolbar will not open address and Outlook does not open urls in e-mail

6. Sun 180MHz Modules

7. How can I create a URL shortcut that starts a specific browser (IE or NS) ?

8. Q: Anyone else having problems with direct editing?

9. (PC) URL links in Outlook Express email goes into my Netscape browser to open

10. Can't open my browser from the Start/Run command using a URL

11. configure the middle button of the mouse to open URL in new browser window.

12. Deploy URL shortcuts to desktop?

13. Distribute URL shortcuts to desktop?