No Standby??

Post by MidKnight » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 13:57:00

I haven't got the Standby option, anyone know how to get it?

(i used to have it under win98)

No Standby??

Post by Horrorsho » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 15:45:21

: I haven't got the Standby option, anyone know how to get it?
:
: (i used to have it under win98)

Not sure if this works under W2K, but under Win98, you'd go into Device
Manager, remove floppy disk controller and restart system.

No Standby??

Post by MidKnight » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 04:00:00

>: I haven't got the Standby option, anyone know how to get it?
>:
>: (i used to have it under win98)

>Not sure if this works under W2K, but under Win98, you'd go into Device
>Manager, remove floppy disk controller and restart system.

MMmm, never heard of this before?.

Any other comments?

No Standby??

Post by Andrej Budj » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Your desktop machine has to be fully ACPI compliant and ACPI PC HAL
must be installed.

Andrej
--
Andrej Budja, MCSE+I, MS MVP

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000 14:57:00 +1000, MidKnight?

>I haven't got the Standby option, anyone know how to get it?

>(i used to have it under win98)

No Standby??

Post by MidKnight » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 04:00:00

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000 12:26:31 -0700, Andrej Budja

>Your desktop machine has to be fully ACPI compliant and ACPI PC HAL
>must be installed.

>Andrej

How can i check this? and how can i check to see if ACPI PC HAL is
installed, and if not, where does it install from?

BTW, as i posted before, this machine was fine with standby mode under
Win98.
It even has a standby button on the box.

Thanks

No Standby??

Post by Ed » Mon, 18 Sep 2000 04:00:00

My situation is the same as yours.  On Win98 and Win98SE my computer was
recognized as ACPI and had all the nifty ACPI functions, including power off
on shutdown.  Microsoft designed Windows 2000, however, to support ONLY ACPI
1.0b, which only the very newest computers support.  My computer and most
likely yours as well only support the original ACPI 1.0 level and Microsoft,
in their infinite wisdom, did not add backwards compatibility.  You can
check if you have ACPI by right-clicking on "My Computer", choose
"Properties", click on the Hardware tab and choose Device Manager.  Under
"Computer", if it says "Stadard PC" then Windows 2000 did not detect ACPI
1.0b compatibility when it installed and you're out of luck.  Only recourse
would be to see if your computer/motherboard manufacturer has an updated
BIOS that adds the necessary ACPI 1.0b support, update the BIOS and
reinstall Windows 2000.

> On Sat, 16 Sep 2000 12:26:31 -0700, Andrej Budja

> >Your desktop machine has to be fully ACPI compliant and ACPI PC HAL
> >must be installed.

> >Andrej

> How can i check this? and how can i check to see if ACPI PC HAL is
> installed, and if not, where does it install from?

> BTW, as i posted before, this machine was fine with standby mode under
> Win98.
> It even has a standby button on the box.

> Thanks

No Standby??

Post by MidKnight » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 00:02:49

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 13:08:35 GMT, "Ed"

>My situation is the same as yours.  On Win98 and Win98SE my computer was
>recognized as ACPI and had all the nifty ACPI functions, including power off
>on shutdown.  Microsoft designed Windows 2000, however, to support ONLY ACPI
>1.0b, which only the very newest computers support.  My computer and most
>likely yours as well only support the original ACPI 1.0 level and Microsoft,
>in their infinite wisdom, did not add backwards compatibility.  You can
>check if you have ACPI by right-clicking on "My Computer", choose
>"Properties", click on the Hardware tab and choose Device Manager.  Under
>"Computer", if it says "Stadard PC" then Windows 2000 did not detect ACPI
>1.0b compatibility when it installed and you're out of luck.  Only recourse
>would be to see if your computer/motherboard manufacturer has an updated
>BIOS that adds the necessary ACPI 1.0b support, update the BIOS and
>reinstall Windows 2000.

<<SNIP>>
Well you are correct, my machine is displayed as "standard PC". Do you
know what it should have said?

This really does sux you know, as i just installed W2k on my laptop
and now the shutdown power doesn't turn off on its own.

This main machine, i rebuild with a new motherboard not so long ago,
so the board is pretty new, and the BIOS in it, hasn't been updated
from the manufactors web site as yet.

Thanks for the info anyway.

       **:::::>>:?:*`33`*:?:<<:::::**
             ....:~'*MidKnight*'~:....
               Key 0x6D523989
       **:::::>>:?:*`33`*:?:<<:::::**

No Standby??

Post by MidKnight » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 00:05:30

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 13:08:35 GMT, "Ed"

>My situation is the same as yours.  On Win98 and Win98SE my computer was
>recognized as ACPI and had all the nifty ACPI functions, including power off
>on shutdown.  Microsoft designed Windows 2000, however, to support ONLY ACPI
>1.0b, which only the very newest computers support.  My computer and most
>likely yours as well only support the original ACPI 1.0 level and Microsoft,
>in their infinite wisdom, did not add backwards compatibility.  You can
>check if you have ACPI by right-clicking on "My Computer", choose
>"Properties", click on the Hardware tab and choose Device Manager.  Under
>"Computer", if it says "Stadard PC" then Windows 2000 did not detect ACPI
>1.0b compatibility when it installed and you're out of luck.  Only recourse
>would be to see if your computer/motherboard manufacturer has an updated
>BIOS that adds the necessary ACPI 1.0b support, update the BIOS and
>reinstall Windows 2000.

<<SNIP>>
BTW.............

If you reinstall W2k over the top again, i guess you should reinstall
SP1 also, but will all other programs, "especially" all your custom
settings of programs PLUS w2k be kept as is??

And should you do a reinstall over the top, or a recover, or what?

Thanks

       **:::::>>:?:*`33`*:?:<<:::::**
             ....:~'*MidKnight*'~:....
               Key 0x6D523989
       **:::::>>:?:*`33`*:?:<<:::::**

No Standby??

Post by Ed » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00

If Win2000 installed as ACPI-enabled, instead of "Standard PC" it would read
"ACPI PC" or something like that.  For a re-install, you *SHOULD* be able to
re-install Win2000 overtop of your current stuff, in other words do an
UPGRADE install (which is one of the install options).  You will then need
to re-install SP1.  Depending on the programs installed, most should retain
their settings since the system registry won't be overwritten, just updated.

> On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 13:08:35 GMT, "Ed"

> >My situation is the same as yours.  On Win98 and Win98SE my computer was
> >recognized as ACPI and had all the nifty ACPI functions, including power
off
> >on shutdown.  Microsoft designed Windows 2000, however, to support ONLY
ACPI
> >1.0b, which only the very newest computers support.  My computer and most
> >likely yours as well only support the original ACPI 1.0 level and
Microsoft,
> >in their infinite wisdom, did not add backwards compatibility.  You can
> >check if you have ACPI by right-clicking on "My Computer", choose
> >"Properties", click on the Hardware tab and choose Device Manager.  Under
> >"Computer", if it says "Stadard PC" then Windows 2000 did not detect ACPI
> >1.0b compatibility when it installed and you're out of luck.  Only
recourse
> >would be to see if your computer/motherboard manufacturer has an updated
> >BIOS that adds the necessary ACPI 1.0b support, update the BIOS and
> >reinstall Windows 2000.

> <<SNIP>>
> BTW.............

> If you reinstall W2k over the top again, i guess you should reinstall
> SP1 also, but will all other programs, "especially" all your custom
> settings of programs PLUS w2k be kept as is??

> And should you do a reinstall over the top, or a recover, or what?

> Thanks

>        **:::::>>:?:*`33`*:?:<<:::::**
>              ....:~'*MidKnight*'~:....
>                Key 0x6D523989
>        **:::::>>:?:*`33`*:?:<<:::::**

1. Help with 2000 Professional UPC's and Part Nos.

Hello,

I will be building my next computer shortly and attempted to access
Microsoft's site to research UPC & Mfg. Part No. data, as well as
product feature differences for Windows 200, the OS we will be
installing.  I don't know if it was because I use a Netscape browser
(that would be SO Microsoft to detect which browser I am using) but I
could not get more than a couple of the pages to load -- indeed the
browser crashed numerous times.

May I explain what I am looking for generally and, perhaps, someone
could provide a link to ONE Microsoft site that has product features
*AND PART NOS.* for this OS assembled on one page.  I'll make myself a
gin and tonic and launch IExplorer -- on my (Pentium 100) 56k
connection, a browser that moves at g.l.a.c.i.a.l speed, or I would
reattempt the Microsoft search on it myself.

What I'm looking for is not only the Microsoft Part No., but also the
*descriptive* designation for the following OS:
WINDOWS 2000 PROFESSIONAL
Full, Heavy, Retail Shrinkwrapped Box
Specifically I am looking for whichever UPC codes relate to the full
2000 versions that come WITH ALL THE MANUALS -- in other words, the
full monty.  Not an OEM.  Not an upgrade.  Not cheap "online
documentation."  The one with all the physical books; all the CD's;
and an install that will be laid on a brand new, freshly-formatted
80-gig hard drive that has never seen an OS in its life.  This will
not be a network computer, it will be a standalone.

Please be specific because numerous vendor sites that I have visited
are ambiguous in their product descriptions, and more than one has
listed the SAME Microsoft part number . . . in reference to different
products at different prices!

Better yet, I'd love to avoid the interfering Microsoft site
altogether and locate an ~.org site that has all this data without the
bottlenecks.

I apologize to the group for the length of my post, but I spent 12
hours on this yesterday and went to bed with a headache having
ascertained nothing that distinguishes Microsoft's product line.
Thank you for your help, and let's leave it on the Usenet for others
who may need this kind of Pre-Sale guidance.

Angel

2. SPARC2 bare bone $100shipped ground

3. setting NOS time

4. Image and fax viewer

5. NT4 NOS using W2K DNS

6. Visor Case FA

7. Help System Standby Failed device driver for "Generic volume" is preventing entering standby

8. Help!! Need part for AST TurboLaser PS

9. How to enable standby mode and how to come out of standby/hibernate state?

10. Standby Order - HDD<>Standby or other-way

11. How to resume from standby mode or completely disable standby?

12. Standby Order - HDD<>Standby or other-way?

13. Standby won't standby because of IDE