IRPStackSize Error

Post by Dr. B » Mon, 06 May 2002 03:25:27

I am running Win2K Pro SP2 with a peer-to-peer LAN.

I am getting this error message in Event Viewer:

+++++
Source: Server

The value named IRPStackSize in the server's Registry key
LanmanServer\Parameters was invalid.  The value was ignored, and
processing continued.

Data Bytes:
0000: 57 00 00 00               W...
+++++

Can anyone recommend a fix without having to reinstall Networking?

If I have to reinstall Networking, is there a knowledge base article
on how to do it?

Thanks,

Dr. Bob

"If you build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. If you
set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

IRPStackSize Error

Post by Dave Patric » Mon, 06 May 2002 03:37:57

This article describes a procedure to restore the server service to auto-tuning status. It includes
deleting, among others, the "IRPStackSize" value. Which is what I usually do in this case.

Server Service Configuration and Tuning
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q128167

--
Regards,

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/ 2000]

> I am running Win2K Pro SP2 with a peer-to-peer LAN.

> I am getting this error message in Event Viewer:

> +++++
> Source: Server

> The value named IRPStackSize in the server's Registry key
> LanmanServer\Parameters was invalid.  The value was ignored, and
> processing continued.

> Data Bytes:
> 0000: 57 00 00 00               W...
> +++++

> Can anyone recommend a fix without having to reinstall Networking?

> If I have to reinstall Networking, is there a knowledge base article
> on how to do it?

> Thanks,

> Dr. Bob

> "If you build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. If you
> set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

IRPStackSize Error

Post by Craig Egg » Mon, 06 May 2002 05:01:12

You can search the registry for IRPStackSize and change the value to hex b
( 11 ).  This will resolve the issue.

--
Craig Egge

Quote:> I am running Win2K Pro SP2 with a peer-to-peer LAN.

> I am getting this error message in Event Viewer:

> +++++
> Source: Server

> The value named IRPStackSize in the server's Registry key
> LanmanServer\Parameters was invalid.  The value was ignored, and
> processing continued.

> Data Bytes:
> 0000: 57 00 00 00               W...
> +++++

> Can anyone recommend a fix without having to reinstall Networking?

> If I have to reinstall Networking, is there a knowledge base article
> on how to do it?

> Thanks,

> Dr. Bob

> "If you build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. If you
> set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

IRPStackSize Error

Post by Dr. B » Mon, 06 May 2002 07:46:54

On Sat, 4 May 2002 12:37:57 -0600, "Dave Patrick"

>This article describes a procedure to restore the server service to auto-tuning status. It includes
>deleting, among others, the "IRPStackSize" value. Which is what I usually do in this case.

>Server Service Configuration and Tuning
>http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q128167

I looked up that article but before I go hacking the Registry I want
to make sure I am doing the correct thing. The instructions that
appear relevant are:

+++++
From the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following key:

 \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

Remove all entries except the following:
      EnableSharedNetDrives
      Lmannounce
      NullSessionPipes
      NullSessionShares
      Size

NOTE: You may have other entries here that are statically coded. Do
not remove these entries.
+++++

In the first place, that list does not match up perfectly with the
list I have. I have:

Guid
IRPStackSize   0xfffffffe
Lmannounce 0
NullSessionPipes
NullSessionShares
Size

Which should be deleted? Would it be correct to delete Guid and
IRPStackSize?

Why don't I have EnableSharedNetDrives?

What is meant by the term "statically coded"?

Post by Dr. B » Mon, 06 May 2002 07:50:44

On Sat, 4 May 2002 12:37:57 -0600, "Dave Patrick"

>This article describes a procedure to restore the server service to auto-tuning status. It includes
>deleting, among others, the "IRPStackSize" value. Which is what I usually do in this case.

>Server Service Configuration and Tuning
>http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q128167

Oh, I forgot - there are other entries besides the one mentioned in
that article.There are also entries in ControlSet01 and ControlSet02.

What about those entries?

Dr. Bob

"If you build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. If you
set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

IRPStackSize Error

Post by Dave Patric » Mon, 06 May 2002 08:26:45

CurrentControlSet is all you need to be concerned with at this point. Looking in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
you'll find the D-Word values for
"Current"=dword:00000001
"Default"=dword:00000001
"Failed"=dword:00000000
"LastKnownGood"=dword:00000002

CurrentControlSet is volatile and will always be an image (at boot) of what's defined in ControlSetx
where x = the value of "Current"

Choosing last known good boots the system with the control set that last successfully booted your
system. Control sets contain system configuration information such as device drivers and services.

--
Regards,

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/ 2000]

> Oh, I forgot - there are other entries besides the one mentioned in
> that article.There are also entries in ControlSet01 and ControlSet02.

> What about those entries?

> Dr. Bob

> "If you build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. If you
> set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

IRPStackSize Error

Post by Dave Patric » Mon, 06 May 2002 08:25:57

You can delete;
Guid
IRPStackSize

Examples of "statically coded" would be;
Reg_Dword "autodisconnect"
Reg_Sz "srvcomment"
Reg_Binary "hidden"
and others.
Deleting these also would only cause them to revert to default settings.

--
Regards,

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/ 2000]

> I looked up that article but before I go hacking the Registry I want
> to make sure I am doing the correct thing. The instructions that
> appear relevant are:

> +++++
> From the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following key:

>  \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

> Remove all entries except the following:
>       EnableSharedNetDrives
>       Lmannounce
>       NullSessionPipes
>       NullSessionShares
>       Size

> NOTE: You may have other entries here that are statically coded. Do
> not remove these entries.
> +++++

> In the first place, that list does not match up perfectly with the
> list I have. I have:

> Guid
> IRPStackSize   0xfffffffe
> Lmannounce 0
> NullSessionPipes
> NullSessionShares
> Size

> Which should be deleted? Would it be correct to delete Guid and
> IRPStackSize?

> Why don't I have EnableSharedNetDrives?

> What is meant by the term "statically coded"?

> Dr. Bob

> "If you build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. If you
> set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

IRPStackSize Error

Post by Dr. B » Mon, 06 May 2002 21:24:15

On Sat, 4 May 2002 17:26:45 -0600, "Dave Patrick"

>CurrentControlSet is all you need to be concerned with at this point. Looking in
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
>you'll find the D-Word values for
>"Current"=dword:00000001
>"Default"=dword:00000001
>"Failed"=dword:00000000
>"LastKnownGood"=dword:00000002

>CurrentControlSet is volatile and will always be an image (at boot) of what's defined in ControlSetx
>where x = the value of "Current"

>Choosing last known good boots the system with the control set that last successfully booted your
>system. Control sets contain system configuration information such as device drivers and services.

Thanks to all of you for your assistance.

Dr. Bob

"If you build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. If you
set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

IRPStackSize Error

Post by Dr. B » Mon, 06 May 2002 21:25:00

Quote:>You can search the registry for IRPStackSize and change the value to hex b
>( 11 ).  This will resolve the issue.

I think I will just delete it as advised by Microsoft.

Thanks,

Dr. Bob

"If you build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. If you
set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

1. IRPStackSize error

This is occuring on my W2K P workstation. Anyone have any ideas how to fix
it?
Event Type: Error
HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\LanmanServer\Paramaters\IRPStackSize
(REG_DWORD) is 0xfffffffa (4294967290). This is a W2KP computer logging into
a W2K Domain. Thanks in advance.

Event Source: Server
Event Category: None
Event ID: 2506
Date:  1/27/2001
Time:  8:47:33 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: NYNAEVE
The value named IRPStackSize in the server's Registry key
LanmanServer\Parameters was invalid.  The value was ignored, and processing
continued.
Data:
0000: 57 00 00 00               W...

--
-Ian Fette

2. Does IO MagicSpin 36X CD-ROM suppport Digital Audio Extraction?

3. IRPStackSize Error?!?

4. DLL writing woes (SS!=DS, etc.)

5. IRPStackSize error with SP2

6. split comp.periphs.printers newsgroup

7. IRPStackSize Error

8. Yet another DBLSPACE question...

9. IRPStacksize-error in EventLog

10. IRPStackSize error in Event Viewer

11. IRPStackSize - ID 2506 error in Win2K Prof

12. "IRPStackSize" error message

13. "IRPStackSize" Error--Please Help