Proxy stopping AD?

Post by Steve Weid » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 06:55:55

I have necountered a strange problem.  It seems that our Ms Proxy server is
stopping machine from connecting to AD.  We are running a typical AD setup
with 2 DCs.  We are also running MS Proxy 2.0 SP2 for our internet access.
We installed the Proxy clients on the servers to allow them to access the
internet, but it seems to be stopping any Win2k machine with SP2 on it from
connecting to AD.  If we active the Proxy client, the server can't connect
to the AD serverices (for a test we opened Schema in mmc, and if Proxy
client is enables, it can't find and connect to the Schema server, but if we
disable Proxy client it finds it fine).  Thsi only seems to happen post-SP2.
Anyone have any idea what could be the problem, or better yet how to fix it
without killing the proxy client?

Proxy stopping AD?

Post by Jessi » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 07:25:22

I would suggest an upgrade from Proxy 2.0 to ISA server. MS Proxy 2.0 is NT
4.0 technology and ISA was made to replace Proxy 2.0 in the Win 2k world.

AD and MS Proxy conflict at the DNS level. AD requires a DNS entry on the
client computer. This DNS entry causes long delays on a Proxy client. See :
Q170043 - Windows 95 Clients May Be Slow Starting the Browser

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q170/0/43.ASP

This article mentions Win 95 clients on Proxy 1.0. I have seen this same
behavior on Win98/Win2k computers on Proxy 2.0 Sp1.

On another note. You don't need WSP Client to browse the internet through MS
proxy. You grant your users/groups permission to use www in the properties
of Web proxy and manually point the client browser to the proxy by IP
address and port. WSP Client is for POP3, SMTP, etc...

hth

jo MCP

Quote:> I have necountered a strange problem.  It seems that our Ms Proxy server
is
> stopping machine from connecting to AD.  We are running a typical AD setup
> with 2 DCs.  We are also running MS Proxy 2.0 SP2 for our internet access.
> We installed the Proxy clients on the servers to allow them to access the
> internet, but it seems to be stopping any Win2k machine with SP2 on it
from
> connecting to AD.  If we active the Proxy client, the server can't connect
> to the AD serverices (for a test we opened Schema in mmc, and if Proxy
> client is enables, it can't find and connect to the Schema server, but if
we
> disable Proxy client it finds it fine).  Thsi only seems to happen
post-SP2.
> Anyone have any idea what could be the problem, or better yet how to fix
it
> without killing the proxy client?

1. Stopping Proxy auto config

Hi everyone.  I am stumped.  I have a windows 2000 server
that keeps telling the client machines to reset the
internet explorer to use a proxy setting of gate:8080.

Well that machine is gone and replaced and now we can't
get it to stop telling client machines to use the old
proxy settings.  There are no proxies now.  How do I get
it to stop telling clients to use the old proxy.

Also I looked in gpedit.msc but the proxy settings are
blank???? so is this where I cahnge it???

Help

Travis

2. T1 betwixt 7000 & 4000 doesn't fly... -Reply

3. How to stop Winsock Proxy Client??? (+)

4. Pocket PC Installation Error

5. How do I stop ldap quiries from going through MS proxy server?

6. TweakUI - "New" problem

7. Windows 2000 Server + MS Proxy 2 = modem stops responding???

8. Need a Dongle...

9. Proxy Server Stopped Working After Critical Update

10. 2000 dns, AD, and proxy

11. ANN: Filter unwanted ad banners with IE Auto-Proxy Configuration

12. SSL Proxy Win2000 Reverse Proxy License Logging 10 connection only

13. Proxy via Proxy (?)