Log Off after 10 min idle time

Post by Dan File » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 06:13:06

Hello, I have Windows 2000 Pro on a very small home peer to peer network (3
desktops). If someone does not log off the computer they were on, I would
like the computer to log off automatically. I tried setting this for 10
minutes in Security Options. I went to Control Panel > Local Security Policy
Quote:> Local Policies > Security Options > and I selected: Amount of idle time

required before disconnecting session: It says: Local setting 10 minutes:
Effective setting 10 minutes: If this is the right option, nothing happens.
The computer will stay logged on to the person who last logged on no matter
how long the computer is idle. I am brand new to Windows 2000 Pro and have
went through all the manuals I bought. This was the only reference I could
find. The security options also says: if domain-level policy settings are
defined, they override local policy settings. I thought a peer to peer
network had nothing to do with a domain and that should not mean my network.
But I am too new to really know. Thanks for any help or advice with the log
off time.

Dan

Log Off after 10 min idle time

Post by Tim N » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 06:28:51

The Local Security policy you set only applies to network sessions, such as
connections to file shares on a server.  When you are connected to another
computers file share, it will keep the connection open for as long as you
have specified.

Here's what you can do to log off a user.  I'm not sure if there is a way to
automatically log someone off after a set amount of idle time, but you can
set the screen saver to have password protection.  In Windows 2000, this
locks the worksation (same as when you hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and select "lock
computer".)  This will provide an easy way to secure the computer.  There
may be a way to set it in group policy, but I couldn't find it.  Maybe
someone else out there knows of a group policy setting or maybe registry
key?

-Tim

Quote:> Hello, I have Windows 2000 Pro on a very small home peer to peer network
(3
> desktops). If someone does not log off the computer they were on, I would
> like the computer to log off automatically. I tried setting this for 10
> minutes in Security Options. I went to Control Panel > Local Security
Policy
> > Local Policies > Security Options > and I selected: Amount of idle time
> required before disconnecting session: It says: Local setting 10 minutes:
> Effective setting 10 minutes: If this is the right option, nothing
happens.
> The computer will stay logged on to the person who last logged on no
matter
> how long the computer is idle. I am brand new to Windows 2000 Pro and have
> went through all the manuals I bought. This was the only reference I could
> find. The security options also says: if domain-level policy settings are
> defined, they override local policy settings. I thought a peer to peer
> network had nothing to do with a domain and that should not mean my
network.
> But I am too new to really know. Thanks for any help or advice with the
log
> off time.

> Dan

Log Off after 10 min idle time

Post by Mn » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 06:36:47

You're correct!

You can control desktop setting via the GP. I've used it for just what
you've stated. The nice thing is if the person that just walked away isn't
around then the Administrator has to unlock the machine. At which time I can
see who has failed to logoff.

> The Local Security policy you set only applies to network sessions, such
as
> connections to file shares on a server.  When you are connected to another
> computers file share, it will keep the connection open for as long as you
> have specified.

> Here's what you can do to log off a user.  I'm not sure if there is a way
> automatically log someone off after a set amount of idle time, but you can
> set the screen saver to have password protection.  In Windows 2000, this
> locks the worksation (same as when you hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and select "lock
> computer".)  This will provide an easy way to secure the computer.  There
> may be a way to set it in group policy, but I couldn't find it.  Maybe
> someone else out there knows of a group policy setting or maybe registry
> key?

> -Tim

> > Hello, I have Windows 2000 Pro on a very small home peer to peer network
> (3
> > desktops). If someone does not log off the computer they were on, I
would
> > like the computer to log off automatically. I tried setting this for 10
> > minutes in Security Options. I went to Control Panel > Local Security
> Policy
> > > Local Policies > Security Options > and I selected: Amount of idle
time
> > required before disconnecting session: It says: Local setting 10
minutes:
> > Effective setting 10 minutes: If this is the right option, nothing
> happens.
> > The computer will stay logged on to the person who last logged on no
> matter
> > how long the computer is idle. I am brand new to Windows 2000 Pro and
have
> > went through all the manuals I bought. This was the only reference I
could
> > find. The security options also says: if domain-level policy settings
are
> > defined, they override local policy settings. I thought a peer to peer
> > network had nothing to do with a domain and that should not mean my
> network.
> > But I am too new to really know. Thanks for any help or advice with the
> log
> > off time.

> > Dan

Log Off after 10 min idle time

Post by Ray Collin » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 06:41:37

Have a look at winexit.scr in the W2k Resource kit.

WinExit is a screen saver that logs the current user off after the specified
time has elapsed. In other respects it is similar to other screen savers and
can be configured and tested on the Screen Saver tab of the Display
Properties dialog box in Control Panel.

WinExit displays a dialog box containing the countdown timer and a
user-defined message. When the countdown timer reaches zero, the logoff
process is initiated.

HTH

Quote:> Hello, I have Windows 2000 Pro on a very small home peer to peer network
(3
> desktops). If someone does not log off the computer they were on, I would
> like the computer to log off automatically. I tried setting this for 10
> minutes in Security Options. I went to Control Panel > Local Security
Policy
> > Local Policies > Security Options > and I selected: Amount of idle time
> required before disconnecting session: It says: Local setting 10 minutes:
> Effective setting 10 minutes: If this is the right option, nothing
happens.
> The computer will stay logged on to the person who last logged on no
matter
> how long the computer is idle. I am brand new to Windows 2000 Pro and have
> went through all the manuals I bought. This was the only reference I could
> find. The security options also says: if domain-level policy settings are
> defined, they override local policy settings. I thought a peer to peer
> network had nothing to do with a domain and that should not mean my
network.
> But I am too new to really know. Thanks for any help or advice with the
log
> off time.

> Dan

Log Off after 10 min idle time

Post by Dan File » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 09:13:32

Thank you all for the quick answers. This will do just as I want. Thanks
again.

Dan

> Have a look at winexit.scr in the W2k Resource kit.

> WinExit is a screen saver that logs the current user off after the
specified
> time has elapsed. In other respects it is similar to other screen savers
and
> can be configured and tested on the Screen Saver tab of the Display
> Properties dialog box in Control Panel.

> WinExit displays a dialog box containing the countdown timer and a
> user-defined message. When the countdown timer reaches zero, the logoff
> process is initiated.

> HTH

> > Hello, I have Windows 2000 Pro on a very small home peer to peer network
> (3
> > desktops). If someone does not log off the computer they were on, I
would
> > like the computer to log off automatically. I tried setting this for 10
> > minutes in Security Options. I went to Control Panel > Local Security
> Policy
> > > Local Policies > Security Options > and I selected: Amount of idle
time
> > required before disconnecting session: It says: Local setting 10
minutes:
> > Effective setting 10 minutes: If this is the right option, nothing
> happens.
> > The computer will stay logged on to the person who last logged on no
> matter
> > how long the computer is idle. I am brand new to Windows 2000 Pro and
have
> > went through all the manuals I bought. This was the only reference I
could
> > find. The security options also says: if domain-level policy settings
are
> > defined, they override local policy settings. I thought a peer to peer
> > network had nothing to do with a domain and that should not mean my
> network.
> > But I am too new to really know. Thanks for any help or advice with the
> log
> > off time.

> > Dan

1. Timeout after 10 mins idle time

Hi,

I hope (and I'm sure) someone can help me with this problem.

I want Windows to lock a workstation after 10 minutes of idle time, whoever
is logged in. I could set each user's screensaver, but there's nothing to
stop them unsetting it, or is there? Is there any concept of a global
screensaver for all local users? Or is there another way of achieving this?

I don't want to end their Windows session completely, just require a
password to continue.

Thanks.

Chris

2. I need lowres models for "planets" for a book example

3. Win2k - won't shut down and freezes after idle 10 min or so

4. WinUAE

5. time in upper right screen after 10 Min.

6. MultiDomain Administrator

7. error messages in the App Log every 10 min

8. GP Problems

9. Can't log off users when idle time expires??

10. auto log off after idle time

11. logging on to a domain takes between 5 and 10 min.

12. Automatic Log off after idle time

13. Win2k round trip time 10 times than on NT