APC UPS'S & NO AUTO REBOOT

Post by Graeme Amedr » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 19:11:47

HELP PLEASE!!!! – PROBLEMS WITH USING APC UPS & HP BRIO PC

We have a problem that we have been unable to solve over
the last couple of days & now seek your advice and
hopefully a solution.

We have a number of HP BRIO BA410 PC systems with Windows
2000 Professional, Model P4858T. We have a requirement for
them to be protected from mains failure by UPS,
automatically shutting down & rebooting on supply return.
We have a number of APC Backups Pro 420I UPS units.

The problem is that we can get the PC’s to shutdown & the
UPS’s to switch off but we cannot get the PC’s to reboot
when the supply returns & the UPS’s switch themselves back
on!

I have previously had a similar problem with a similar
model of BRIO BA410 that originally had Win98SE but had
been stripped & reloaded with the Retail version of W2K
plus all the HP drivers etc. This too remains unresolved
APC Call Ref HAN2557 refers to this.

I will try to outline the conditions under which I have
tested these and the exact hardware/software involved. I
have tried to use both the inbuilt Windows 2000
Professional UPS software, the APC Powerchute Plus Ver.5.2
that shipped with the UPS & Version 5.2.2 downloaded from
the APC website.

FIRST & FOREMOST
EACH ATTEMPT TO MAKE THIS WORK HAS BEEN ON IDENTICAL
MACHINES IN AN “OUT OF THE BOX” STATE AFTER REGISTRATION
ONLY.

1/      I have checked that the HP BRIO BIOS is set to
AUTO for power state recovery, I have also tested that the
PC will power-up again on it’s own after the mains has
been deliberately pulled from it & reinstated. This works
OK every time.

HP BIOS VERSION – IO.07.10

2/      In every case the UPS is connected to COMM1
3/      In every case the default software settings for
either the Windows 2000 UPS software or APC Powerchute
Plus have been used.

4/      I notice that the Windows 2000 UPS software causes
the PC to physically switch off prior to the UPS shutting
off, whereas use of the APC Powerchute software leaves the
PC powered on with the “It is now safe for you to switch
off your PC” message which remains on screen until the UPS
switches off.

5/      Question – as the HP BIOS only appears to support
the two states of “OFF” and “AUTO”,  and no state
of  “Always ON” as is found on some other manufacturerer’s
systems, is it correct to assume that the Windows 2000 UPS
software cannot ever achieve an automatic reboot on power
resumption because the system has been taken to a state of
being “OFF” prior to supply removal?

6/      In every test I have made, the UPS has always gone
off & shutdown several minutes after the PC has reached
it’s shutdown state.

7/      I have disabled the Norton A/V auto protect – no
difference.
The system build of the HP BRIO is as follows:-

Pentium III 933 Mhz
128Mb RAM
20Gb HDD
EN1207D PCI network card
MSP3880 PCI Modem
Windows 2000 professional Version 5.00.2195

Over to You!

I would welcome your feedback and a solution to this ASAP
You may contact me as follows:-

Graeme Amedro

APC UPS'S & NO AUTO REBOOT

Post by Paul B. Gallaghe » Sun, 07 Oct 2001 06:02:14

> HELP PLEASE!!!! – PROBLEMS WITH USING APC UPS & HP BRIO PC

> We have a problem that we have been unable to solve over
> the last couple of days & now seek your advice and
> hopefully a solution.

> We have a number of HP BRIO BA410 PC systems with Windows
> 2000 Professional, Model P4858T. We have a requirement for
> them to be protected from mains failure by UPS,
> automatically shutting down & rebooting on supply return.
> We have a number of APC Backups Pro 420I UPS units.

> The problem is that we can get the PC’s to shutdown & the
> UPS’s to switch off but we cannot get the PC’s to reboot
> when the supply returns & the UPS’s switch themselves back
> on!

Check your BIOS settings.

I had exactly the same problem with PowerChute Plus 5.2, and it didn't
go away when I upgraded to 6.01 (available from www.apcc.com). I solved
it by going into the BIOS settings and telling it what to do when power
was restored. The setting "previous state" was ineffective, but
"restart" worked.

On my Gateway computer, I had to press F1 quickly and repeatedly on
power-up to access the BIOS settings. Check your documentation to see
how to do it on your computers.