Hard Drive changed format from NTFS to Raw on ReBoot

Hard Drive changed format from NTFS to Raw on ReBoot

Post by Matt Brow » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 06:05:41



Hello,

I was workning on my computer yesterday, downloading some
file from the internet to a secondary hard drive formated
NTFS.

Windows update infomed me that their were new critical
updates to install and I allowed it to install the updates
(i did not check to see which updates it installed).

When the computer rebooted after the update my secondary
hard drive now is unreadable and chkdsk says the file
format is RAW.

Has anyone had this problem before and is there a way,
other than formating the drive, to restore the file system
to NTFS?

Does anyone know why this might have happened?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt Brown

 
 
 

Hard Drive changed format from NTFS to Raw on ReBoot

Post by Matt Brow » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 07:00:26


I ran PartitionInfo (from Partition Magic 6)  And got the following
information:

Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
        0  0  00      0    1    1  07   4864  254   63        63  78156162
Error #109: Partition ends after end of disk.
  ucEndCylinder (4864) must be less than 4111.

Mabey this can help someone help me.

Thanks,
Matt Brown


Quote:> Hello,

> I was workning on my computer yesterday, downloading some
> file from the internet to a secondary hard drive formated
> NTFS.

> Windows update infomed me that their were new critical
> updates to install and I allowed it to install the updates
> (i did not check to see which updates it installed).

> When the computer rebooted after the update my secondary
> hard drive now is unreadable and chkdsk says the file
> format is RAW.

> Has anyone had this problem before and is there a way,
> other than formating the drive, to restore the file system
> to NTFS?

> Does anyone know why this might have happened?

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Matt Brown


 
 
 

Hard Drive changed format from NTFS to Raw on ReBoot

Post by Joep » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 07:06:09


maybe if you post the entire partinfo ....

--
D I Y  D a t a R e c o v e r y . N L - Data & Disaster Recovery Tools

http://www.diydatarecovery.nl
http://www.diydatarecovery.com

Please include previous correspondence!

DiskPatch - MBR, Partition, boot sector repair and recovery.
iRecover - FAT, FAT32 and NTFS data recovery.
MBRtool - Freeware MBR backup and restore.


> I ran PartitionInfo (from Partition Magic 6)  And got the following
> information:

> Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
>   Actual values are:
>         0  0  00      0    1    1  07   4864  254   63        63  78156162
> Error #109: Partition ends after end of disk.
>   ucEndCylinder (4864) must be less than 4111.

> Mabey this can help someone help me.

> Thanks,
> Matt Brown



> > Hello,

> > I was workning on my computer yesterday, downloading some
> > file from the internet to a secondary hard drive formated
> > NTFS.

> > Windows update infomed me that their were new critical
> > updates to install and I allowed it to install the updates
> > (i did not check to see which updates it installed).

> > When the computer rebooted after the update my secondary
> > hard drive now is unreadable and chkdsk says the file
> > format is RAW.

> > Has anyone had this problem before and is there a way,
> > other than formating the drive, to restore the file system
> > to NTFS?

> > Does anyone know why this might have happened?

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> > Thanks,

> > Matt Brown

 
 
 

Hard Drive changed format from NTFS to Raw on ReBoot

Post by Matt Brow » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 07:27:19


Hi,

I pressed the button "Copy to Clipboard" and this is what it gave me.

If you need anything else please let me know.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

PowerQuest PartitionInfo 2.0 -- Windows NT Version
Date Generated:  04/18/03  12:24:24
Copyright (c)1994-1999, PowerQuest Corporation
Permission is granted for this utility to be freely copied so long
as it is not modified in any way.  All other rights are reserved.

PowerQuest, makers of PartitionMagic(r), Drive Image(tm), and DriveCopy(tm),
can be reached at:
    Voice:  801-437-8900
    Fax:  801-226-8941
    Web site:  http://support.powerquest.com/support.html

General System Information:
    Total Physical Memory (bytes):  1,073,184,768
    Used Physical Memory: (bytes):  265,994,240
    Maximum Page File Size: (bytes):  1,106,206,720
    Current Page File Size: (bytes):  173,572,096

============================================================================
===============================
Disk Geometry Information for Disk 1:    1245 Cylinders,  255 Heads,  63
Sectors/Track
System              PartSect  # Boot BCyl Head Sect  FS    ECyl Head Sect
StartSect     NumSects
============================================================================
===============================
                           0  0  80     0    1    1  07    1023  254   63
63   19,984,797
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
        0  0  80      0    1    1  07   1243  254   63        63  19984797

============================================================================
===============================
Disk Geometry Information for Disk 2:    4111 Cylinders,  255 Heads,  63
Sectors/Track
System              PartSect  # Boot BCyl Head Sect  FS    ECyl Head Sect
StartSect     NumSects
============================================================================
===============================
                           0  0  00     0    1    1  07    1023  254   63
63   78,156,162
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
        0  0  00      0    1    1  07   4864  254   63        63  78156162
Error #109: Partition ends after end of disk.
  ucEndCylinder (4864) must be less than 4111.

============================================================================
===============================
Partition Information for Disk 1:    9,766.1 Megabytes
Volume         PartType    Status    Size MB    PartSect  #   StartSect
TotalSects   UsedSects   FreeSects
============================================================================
===============================
C:             NTFS        Pri,Boot  9,758.2           0  0          63
19,984,797  19,984,797           0
               Free Space  Pri           7.8        None --  19,984,860
16,065           0      16,065

============================================================================
===============================
Partition Information for Disk 2:    32,247.7 Megabytes
Volume         PartType    Status    Size MB    PartSect  #   StartSect
TotalSects   UsedSects   FreeSects
============================================================================
===============================
D:             QNX, UN*X   Pri      38,162.2           0  0          63
78,156,162           0  78,156,162

============================================================================
===============================
Boot Record for drive C:   (Drive: 1, Starting sector: 63, Type: NTFS)
============================================================================
===============================
 1. Jump:                   EB 52 90
 2. OEM Name:               NTFS
 3. Bytes per Sector:       512
 4. Sectors per Cluster:    8
 5. Reserved Sectors:       0
 6. Number of FATs:         0
 7. Root Dir Entries:       0
 8. Total Sectors:          0
 9. Media Descriptor:       0xF8
10. Sectors per FAT:        0
11. Sectors per Track:      63  (0x3F)
12. Number of Heads:        255  (0xFF)
13. Hidden Sectors:         63  (0x3F)
14. Total Sectors (>32MB):  0  (0x0)
15. Unused:                 0x80008000
16. Total NTFS Sectors:     19984796
17. MFT Start Cluster:      4
18. MFT Mirror Start Clust: 1249049
19. Clusters per FRS:       246
20. Clusters per Index Blk: 1
21. Serial Number:          0xEA9833279832F1A5
22. Checksum:               0  (0x0)
23. Boot Signature:         0xAA55


> maybe if you post the entire partinfo ....

> --
> D I Y  D a t a R e c o v e r y . N L - Data & Disaster Recovery Tools

> http://www.diydatarecovery.nl
> http://www.diydatarecovery.com

> Please include previous correspondence!

> DiskPatch - MBR, Partition, boot sector repair and recovery.
> iRecover - FAT, FAT32 and NTFS data recovery.
> MBRtool - Freeware MBR backup and restore.



> > I ran PartitionInfo (from Partition Magic 6)  And got the following
> > information:

> > Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
> >   Actual values are:
> >         0  0  00      0    1    1  07   4864  254   63        63
78156162
> > Error #109: Partition ends after end of disk.
> >   ucEndCylinder (4864) must be less than 4111.

> > Mabey this can help someone help me.

> > Thanks,
> > Matt Brown



> > > Hello,

> > > I was workning on my computer yesterday, downloading some
> > > file from the internet to a secondary hard drive formated
> > > NTFS.

> > > Windows update infomed me that their were new critical
> > > updates to install and I allowed it to install the updates
> > > (i did not check to see which updates it installed).

> > > When the computer rebooted after the update my secondary
> > > hard drive now is unreadable and chkdsk says the file
> > > format is RAW.

> > > Has anyone had this problem before and is there a way,
> > > other than formating the drive, to restore the file system
> > > to NTFS?

> > > Does anyone know why this might have happened?

> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> > > Thanks,

> > > Matt Brown

 
 
 

1. Hard drive changed format from NTFS to Raw on reboot

Hello,

Last night I was downloading some files off the internet to a secondary hard
drive in my computer.  While these downloads were taking place I was reading
email in Outlook XP.  Windows update came on and told me there were new
updates to install.  I closed Outlook and installed the updates.  The
computer needed to be rebooted which I allowed it to do.

On reboot the file format of the secondary drive has changed from NTFS to
RAW.

My question is:

Does anyone know of any way to repair the allocation table on this drive
WITHOUT formating the hard drive?

Does anyone know of any programs that may be able to recover the information
on this drive (I am not going to send the drive away)?

Does anyone know what may have happened to this drive?  Was it a windows
update issue or some other unrelated problem?

Other Info:

1) I am running a P3 800, 1 gig ram.
2) OS - Windows 2000 Pro
3) Downloading files through Kazaa (My shared folder was on that second
drive)
4) I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and have done a virus scan.  No virus found.
5) I dont know which windows updates it was attempting to install - I did
not check the details.  It must be something new though because I have kept
up to date with all the windows updates.
6) The hard drive appears to be working and I copuld reformat the drive (I
do not really want to though).

Possible solutions....
One tech I spoke with suggested using partion magic to adjust the size of
the partion by 10 megs or some other small number.   Has anyone ever heard
of that solving a problem like this or would that only make things worse?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Netscape security loop hole...

3. File format on Hard Drive change from NTFS to Raw on reboot

4. AU - Sydney - RPG/400 programmers wanted

5. Hard Drive file format changed from NTFS to Raw on reboot

6. ASAP June 1, 1998

7. How do you re-format a hard drive configured for NTFS

8. Macintosh Name Space problems

9. How do I format hard drive with NTFS

10. How to Convert a Hard Drive With Data to NTFS Format

11. Changing hard drive format

12. Can I change a hard drive lable without re-formatting?

13. help requested: lost drive/partition - ntfs to 'raw'?