rename AD Win2k server

Post by JM Frase » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 07:14:45

I am unable to rename the server as it is a Domain Controller, any
ideas as to how I can go about this apart from having to rebuild the
box?

JM

rename AD Win2k server

Post by abc » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 07:48:42

JM,
demote the server by running DCPROMO command, rename it
and promote again using the DCPROMO command.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I am unable to rename the server as it is a Domain
Controller, any
>ideas as to how I can go about this apart from having to
rebuild the
>box?

>JM
>.

rename AD Win2k server

Post by Benoit Boudevill » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:27:24

You can't rename a DC while it's installed to server AD.
You'll have to build up a second temporary DC, transfer roles (if any) for the current to the temp,
demote the DC to a member server, reboot as many time as necessary, change its name, promote it
back to DC, transfer roles back.

Maybe there is a "hack" way to do it without having to do this, but it's probably more complicated
and would generate for sure, evil side-effects.