Moving CALs

Post by Erik Campa » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:19:44

When we initially setup TS Licensing we put it on 2 Win2k DCs, both
with CALs.  Reading up we found that this is not ideal.  Now we want
to deactivate one DC and move the CALs to the other one.  Can this be
done?  Also, some of our clients are receiving the message that their
CAL will expire in 14 days.  I know the client will attempt to renew
when there is 7 days left, but I'm noticing that some clients have
both temporary licenses and permenant licenses on different servers.
Is this normal?  Thank you.

Moving CALs

Post by MS » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 02:17:04

You can call the Clearinghouse to get new licenses to put on the license
server you want to keep.  Once you've done that, you can uninstall the
license service on the other machine, reinstall it, then activate it again.
That will get rid of the extra licenses.

The duplicate licenses are a symptom of your setup, and nothing to worry
about.  However, once you have all the CALs on one LS, the message about
CALs expiring should go away.  If they don't, you don't have enough CALs for
your clients, or your TS can't contact your LS.

Rob

Quote:> When we initially setup TS Licensing we put it on 2 Win2k DCs, both