roaming profiles/folder redirection

Post by wwwebmas.. » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 04:37:51

In testing roaming profiles with folder redirection I have found that
the Office shortcut bar loses the users settings.  After redefining
those settings and logging off, the redefined settings are lost too.

I am using W2K Pro in an AD environment with Office 2000. The
redirected folders are the standard: My Docs, Desktop, Application
Data, Start Menu.  Roaming Profile has been defined for this user, who
has full share and ntfs permissions set.

The GPO (for the redirected folders) was defined and the user logged
in (shortcut bar problem appeared).  User logged off and roaming
profile settings were defined.  User logged on & office shorcut bar
problem persisted.

TIA
-Jeremy

roaming profiles/folder redirection

Post by Kevin M. Huntl » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:12:13

Hi!

Roaming profiles are generally also mandatory profiles.
Create an account on the server and build the profile for
that account including all desired settings and shortcuts,
and then log off, log back on, verify the settings are
intact and functioning, log off, log on as Administrator
(or any Domain Admin account) and rename the profile
(Ntuser.dat) to Ntuser.man and copy the profile using the
System utility into the directories that you wish to
contain the roaming profiles, giving each user rights to
the profile as needed. Once completed, log on using a
network workstation and verify that all settings are
intact. If not, then it may just be that the settings
cannot be saved, but its very unlikely.

Hope this helps!

Respectfully Yours,

Kevin M. Huntly
Microsoft Certified Professional

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>In testing roaming profiles with folder redirection I
have found that
>the Office shortcut bar loses the users settings.  After
redefining
>those settings and logging off, the redefined settings
are lost too.

>I am using W2K Pro in an AD environment with Office 2000.
The
>redirected folders are the standard: My Docs, Desktop,
Application
>Data, Start Menu.  Roaming Profile has been defined for
this user, who
>has full share and ntfs permissions set.

>The GPO (for the redirected folders) was defined and the
user logged
>in (shortcut bar problem appeared).  User logged off and
roaming
>profile settings were defined.  User logged on & office
shorcut bar
>problem persisted.

>TIA
>-Jeremy
>.

1. Wallpaper Doesn't Follow Roaming Profile (Folder Redirection)

I created a group policy for folder redirection.  I set it for
Application Data, Desktop, and My Documents.  I can log on to
different PC's and the Desktop and My Documents will follow my login.
But I don't know why the Wallpaper doesn't show up.  (There are no
restrictions to changing the wallpaper.)

2. Help on Sys Admin

3. Help with roaming profile / folder redirection

4. Virtual PC 2.1.1 --> 2.1.3 updater

5. Outlook Express with AD, Roaming Profiles, and Folder Redirection

6. US-DC-HPUX System administration Job in Washington DC

7. roaming profile and folder redirection

8. Running out of server licenses

9. Roaming user profile vs Folder Redirection

10. folder redirection with a roaming profile

11. Roaming Profile and Folder Redirection

12. roaming profiles and folder redirection

13. Folder Redirection and Roaming Profiles