UMAX Astra 1200s Scanner

Post by Scott A. Smit » Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Greetings,

Has anyone gotten the UMAX 1200s to work under WIN 2K Pro? I did a clean
install of WIN 2k and it did not find the attached scanner. I am using
UMAX's proprietary SCSI card and that may be a problem. According to
Microsoft's HCL though, it is a supported device. However, the native
drivers available under UMAX in the Add New Hardware list only list the 600P
and 610P scanners. So if it is supported within Windows - where is it? UMAX
does not have any 2000 drivers available yet but I really don't want to wait
for that ... do I? / BTW the scanner was working fine under W98 before
changing to WIN 2K. Thanks for any help....

smith

UMAX Astra 1200s Scanner

Post by Arup » Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
I am using the 1220S with the Domex 3191 PCI SCSI card which is bundled with
it. The older ISA doesn't function. I got the Win2K drivers from Domex and
then Win 2K installed native UMAX DS TWAIN support. I tried installing Vista
and Magic Scan earlier but found out that they disabled my standby and
hibernate features.

Quote:> Greetings,

> Has anyone gotten the UMAX 1200s to work under WIN 2K Pro? I did a clean
> install of WIN 2k and it did not find the attached scanner. I am using
> UMAX's proprietary SCSI card and that may be a problem. According to
> Microsoft's HCL though, it is a supported device. However, the native
> drivers available under UMAX in the Add New Hardware list only list the
600P
> and 610P scanners. So if it is supported within Windows - where is it?
UMAX
> does not have any 2000 drivers available yet but I really don't want to
wait
> for that ... do I? / BTW the scanner was working fine under W98 before
> changing to WIN 2K. Thanks for any help....

> smith

UMAX Astra 1200s Scanner

Post by Nik Simpso » Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Greetings,

> Has anyone gotten the UMAX 1200s to work under WIN 2K Pro?

Yes, no problems.

Quote:>I did a clean
> install of WIN 2k and it did not find the attached scanner. I am using
> UMAX's proprietary SCSI card and that may be a problem.

That's almost certainly you problem, the PoS SCSI card that UMAX ships
doesn't have W2K drivers, so the SCSI card doesn't work and hence the
scanner (or anything else) attached to it is never seen. I'm using an
Adaptec 2940 PCI card and W2K found the card and subsequently the scanner.

Nik Simpson

UMAX Astra 1200s Scanner

Post by Richard Davie » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I have got a 1220s working off the boack of an Initio Ultra SCSI card. Dump
the UMAX ISA version.

Quote:> Greetings,

> Has anyone gotten the UMAX 1200s to work under WIN 2K Pro? I did a clean
> install of WIN 2k and it did not find the attached scanner. I am using
> UMAX's proprietary SCSI card and that may be a problem. According to
> Microsoft's HCL though, it is a supported device. However, the native
> drivers available under UMAX in the Add New Hardware list only list the
600P
> and 610P scanners. So if it is supported within Windows - where is it?
UMAX
> does not have any 2000 drivers available yet but I really don't want to
wait
> for that ... do I? / BTW the scanner was working fine under W98 before
> changing to WIN 2K. Thanks for any help....

> smith

UMAX Astra 1200s Scanner

Post by TD » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I got a Umax Astra 1200S working under Win2K with the included SCSI
card.  I installed the NT drivers from UMAX (vs31scsi.exe).  During
install, it will ask for your Win2K disc, for the SCSI drivers. It's
listed as SCSI/RAID Host Controller in the Device Manager.  No problems,
even the hibernate works.  It didn't on 98SE, at least for me.

Running it through Photoshop w/ no problems whatsoever.

Quote:> Greetings,

> Has anyone gotten the UMAX 1200s to work under WIN 2K Pro? I did a clean
> install of WIN 2k and it did not find the attached scanner. I am using
> UMAX's proprietary SCSI card and that may be a problem. According to
> Microsoft's HCL though, it is a supported device. However, the native
> drivers available under UMAX in the Add New Hardware list only list the 600P
> and 610P scanners. So if it is supported within Windows - where is it? UMAX
> does not have any 2000 drivers available yet but I really don't want to wait
> for that ... do I? / BTW the scanner was working fine under W98 before
> changing to WIN 2K. Thanks for any help....

> smith

Thomas A. De Rosa

HOMEPAGE : http://td911.home.mindspring.com
PAGE ME  : http://wwp.mirabilis.com/851255

UMAX Astra 1200s Scanner

Post by Neale Brodi » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Is the included SCSI card the PCI or ISA version?

Neale.

>I got a Umax Astra 1200S working under Win2K with the included SCSI
>card.  I installed the NT drivers from UMAX (vs31scsi.exe).  During
>install, it will ask for your Win2K disc, for the SCSI drivers. It's
>listed as SCSI/RAID Host Controller in the Device Manager.  No problems,
>even the hibernate works.  It didn't on 98SE, at least for me.

>Running it through Photoshop w/ no problems whatsoever.

<snip>

--

UMAX Astra 1200s Scanner

Post by TD » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

says...

ISA.  My motherboard is an ABIT BX6R2 with the latest BIOS.  That may be
the reason for other's problems.

> Is the included SCSI card the PCI or ISA version?

> Neale.

> >I got a Umax Astra 1200S working under Win2K with the included SCSI
> >card.  I installed the NT drivers from UMAX (vs31scsi.exe).  During
> >install, it will ask for your Win2K disc, for the SCSI drivers. It's
> >listed as SCSI/RAID Host Controller in the Device Manager.  No problems,
> >even the hibernate works.  It didn't on 98SE, at least for me.

> >Running it through Photoshop w/ no problems whatsoever.

> <snip>

Thomas A. De Rosa

HOMEPAGE : http://td911.home.mindspring.com
PAGE ME  : http://wwp.mirabilis.com/851255

UMAX Astra 1200s Scanner

Post by Julian Warre » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

It is there..and I even got a clone working by hacking the driver. Find it
by going to:

Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager

It should've found your scanner even if wrongly identified. Double click the
"incorrect" device go to update driver - search for a better driver and lo
and behold you'll be presented with a staggering list.

Julian