internet access thru VPN via cable modem

internet access thru VPN via cable modem

Post by berni » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 06:19:19

howdy.  If I have a use connected to the VPN thru the internet via a cable
modem and they access an outside web site (such as yahoo or eBay) are they
accessing it thru thier own connection or are they going thru the VPN and
then to the internet?

if it is going thru the VPN first has anyone seen where this is has a big
inpact on band width (the most people that I will ever have connected to the
VPN is 5 or so)

thanks,

-bernie
www.bernieberg.com

internet access thru VPN via cable modem

Post by Bill Gran » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 13:30:16

   You can have it work either way, depending on how you configure the
client.

   By default, the client creates a new default route to the VPN server, so
all traffic goes through the tunnel. In this case they would access the
Internet through your cable connection.

     If you clear the "use default gateway ... " box in the client's VPN
connection properties this new route is not created so Internet traffic
still goes out the existing route.

Quote:> howdy.  If I have a use connected to the VPN thru the internet via a cable