disk tools

Post by Charlie Brookhar » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 04:12:02

I am noticing that it is taking a long time for some of the system tools to
complete their job. I had a lot of free disk space before upgrading to
windows 2000. Now I have 4gb remaining out of 13gb total. I don't have many
programs and the ones I do have aren't very large. I tried to run disk
cleanup to see what could be removed, but the utility seemed to get stuck on
scanning compressed files. Other disk utilities like defrag are taking a
long time as well. What is going on?

Charlie

disk tools

Post by MVP » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 00:57:36

Hi Charlie,

RE: Disk cleanup "stuck on scanning compressed files."

You can workaround this problem by deleting the Compress old files registry key.  For
more information, see this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

 812248 - Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding While Compressing Old Files
http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812248

--
Carrie Garth, Microsoft MVP for Windows 2000
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- c x g

: "Charlie Brookhart" <cbrookha AT erols DOT com>

: Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 02:12 PM
: I am noticing that it is taking a long time for some of the system tools to
: complete their job. I had a lot of free disk space before upgrading to
: windows 2000. Now I have 4gb remaining out of 13gb total. I don't have many
: programs and the ones I do have aren't very large. I tried to run disk
: cleanup to see what could be removed, but the utility seemed to get stuck on
: scanning compressed files. Other disk utilities like defrag are taking a
: long time as well. What is going on?
:
: Charlie

1. Disk Tools Question?

Does anyone know what other uses dmdiag.exe can be used
for except for saving disk signature information?

The reason I'm asking is that I want to be able to clone
disks with the fatal 0x7b Stop errors?

2. Visual Studio Net Trial version

3. Disk tools missing completely!

4. Bridgeport and ProE

5. Disk Tools won't run

6. How About Clearlook?

7. RAM Disk Tool for Windows

8. file(1)

9. Speed up Disk Cleanup Tool, diable file compression

10. Is there a tool to log what programs are accessing the disk

11. Disk write monitoring tool?

12. Disk Quota Monitoring Tool

13. free disk cloning tool?