Remote servers answering local logons

Post by Eric Woj » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 06:34:52

I always thought that the fastest and closest Domain
Controller to a workstation/user requesting authentication
would answer the call.  However, I find that my
workstation is only 20 feet from a domain controller but
sometimes, a domain controller 2000 miles away will
authenticate me.

Why is this?  The DC in my office is much faster and
obviously closer.

We do not have that many users and the DC in my office
barely shows activity in the task manager because there's
not much happening.

Why would a DC so far away sometimes (half the time?)
answer a workstations call rather than one so close?

All help is appreciated.

Eric

Remote servers answering local logons

Post by Jessi » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 06:48:59

It is the first one to respond. The closest is not always the first to
respond. See this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q181171

hth
jo MCP

Quote:> I always thought that the fastest and closest Domain
> Controller to a workstation/user requesting authentication
> would answer the call.  However, I find that my
> workstation is only 20 feet from a domain controller but
> sometimes, a domain controller 2000 miles away will
> authenticate me.

> Why is this?  The DC in my office is much faster and
> obviously closer.

> We do not have that many users and the DC in my office
> barely shows activity in the task manager because there's
> not much happening.

> Why would a DC so far away sometimes (half the time?)
> answer a workstations call rather than one so close?

> All help is appreciated.

> Eric

Remote servers answering local logons

Post by Tim Hines, MCS » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 07:07:11

Have you configured AD sites?  If you configure sites then the workstation
will authenticate with a DC within its site.

--
Tim Hines, MCSE (2000 & NT4)

Quote:> I always thought that the fastest and closest Domain
> Controller to a workstation/user requesting authentication
> would answer the call.  However, I find that my
> workstation is only 20 feet from a domain controller but
> sometimes, a domain controller 2000 miles away will
> authenticate me.

> Why is this?  The DC in my office is much faster and
> obviously closer.

> We do not have that many users and the DC in my office
> barely shows activity in the task manager because there's
> not much happening.

> Why would a DC so far away sometimes (half the time?)
> answer a workstations call rather than one so close?

> All help is appreciated.

> Eric

1. w2k remote access server stops answering calls

I am running Windows 2000 Advanced Server with RRAS remote access svr using
8 USR5686D external 56K modems. It seems that every couple of days the
modems stop answering incoming RAS calls, unless the modems are powered off
and powered back on. The NT sys-event log generates an event ID:20013,
SOURCE:remote access, DESCRIPTION:"the commmunication device attached to
port COM3 is not functioning". I've seen this event on multiple comports,
not just on COM3. Any ideas as to what would be causing this problem?

2. RISC6000 based machine

3. Logon to local DC if link to remote DNS down?

4. Avantgo & sign-in sites

5. Laptop logon both remote and local

6. Problems with E&B SlipIT Case

7. Logon from local to remote

8. CERT Advisory CA-2002-33 & KB Article 301497

9. connect to remote server through remote proxy server

10. Map drive from local system to remote server

11. Remote Server to enter my Local Network Neighborhood???

12. Importing Windows NT Server local accounts to Windows 2000 Server local accounts

13. Group/Local Policy - Logon Local - Help, I'm Locked Out !!