Encrypted File System PROBLEMS!

Post by <rfer.. » Sun, 20 May 2001 02:45:40

I used EFS on two drive drives on my W2K management machine (not on the system
drive). The files were set with permissions for the local admin and two other
domain accounts. The owner of the files was the local admin account. The recovery
agent for those files was the local admin account. Well the system drive died and
I can't decrypt the files on those two drives because I can't rebuild the local
admin account with the same SID. Is there another way to get them back?

Encrypted File System PROBLEMS!

Post by Eric » Fri, 25 May 2001 21:21:15

EFS is designed to prevent anyone reading the files by simply re-installing
Windows 2000 or putting the drive into another PC. I would suggest that you
try and recover the files from backup, before encryption was enabled on
them.

It is good practise to export the public and private keys, to a secure
medium, for the recovery agent so that you can restore them if required.

Eric.

I used EFS on two drive drives on my W2K management machine (not on the
system
drive). The files were set with permissions for the local admin and two
other
domain accounts. The owner of the files was the local admin account. The
recovery
agent for those files was the local admin account. Well the system drive
died and
I can't decrypt the files on those two drives because I can't rebuild the
local
admin account with the same SID. Is there another way to get them back?

1. File Encryption Problem, cannot decrypt files and subfolder within an encrypted parent folder

Hi,

I have some of my documents encrypted before under my NTFS drive (Win2k
SP2), after I restore my system using ghost, I was unable to access the
file, I tried everything to chage the attribute of the file, security
properties, but the decryption procedure never work. I'm lost.

I've look to the KB articles, and try every methods, Backup, and restore in
any methods, it just dont work, I think the problem is either it is a bug,
or I dont have the Encryption Key to decrypt it.

Is there any workaround on this? Can someone kindly tell me what can I do to
get my files back? Any help or expertise would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Questions about multitasking.

3. Encrypting File System (EFS) & Smart Card

4. hoax

5. Netscape 2.02--fixing messed up colors

6. Encrypted files kill my system

7. JOB: Research Assistant - Department of Computer Science

8. Disabling Encrypted file system

9. Looking for info on Encrypting File System

10. Encrypting File System

11. EFS - Encrypted File System

12. Disabling Encrypted File System