CTRL-ALT-DEL disabling

Post by Qwes » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 08:42:30

Does anyone know how to "disable" the CTRL-ALT-DEL function to not allow
task manager option to come up -- for server or for Win2k Pro.  Do you need
Resource Kit or how can you do it?  HELP!

CTRL-ALT-DEL disabling

Post by Paul Bartlet » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:04:15

registry edit:

HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\sys
tem
Value: DisableTaskMgr
DWord Value: 1

(1 greys out the task manager option)
(0 enables the task manager option)

Paul

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Does anyone know how to "disable" the CTRL-ALT-DEL

function to not allow
Quote:>task manager option to come up -- for server or for Win2k
Pro.  Do you need
>Resource Kit or how can you do it?  HELP!

>.

CTRL-ALT-DEL disabling

Post by Uddhav REgm » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:44:23

Do you know how to apply this to all users of the domain ?

Quote:> registry edit:

> HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\sys
> tem
> Value: DisableTaskMgr
> DWord Value: 1

> (1 greys out the task manager option)
> (0 enables the task manager option)

> Paul

CTRL-ALT-DEL disabling

Post by Zwinc » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:36:00

I guess I didn't describe well enough:

I have a friend that has developed (project managed -- not coding on it) a
VB app running.  For stability and security reasons, we've put it on a Win2k
environment.  Since the app runs on a kiosk system, they want to disable the
CTRL-ALT-DEL function all together - not just Task Manager.  Is this
possible (w/out doing it through coding)?  Will be running it on both a
Win2k Server and Win2k Pro environment.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:> registry edit:

> HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\sys
> tem
> Value: DisableTaskMgr
> DWord Value: 1

> (1 greys out the task manager option)
> (0 enables the task manager option)

> Paul

CTRL-ALT-DEL disabling

Post by Paul Batrlet » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:16:47

The way that I do it is by using mandatory profiles.

I imagine that you could use user policies in AD to apply
this registry change for users in groups, but you wouldn't
want to restrict Administrators from being able to do this.

Paul

Quote:>> tem
>> Value: DisableTaskMgr
>> DWord Value: 1

>> (1 greys out the task manager option)
>> (0 enables the task manager option)

>> Paul

CTRL-ALT-DEL disabling

Post by Joe Richard » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:13:38

Yeah you missed on the description in this group, I answered this in one of
the other groups for you... But here it is again

This has been an extremely popular question lately. You can indeed disable
the SAS but it requires writing a custom GINA, creating your own keyboard
device driver, or remapping the keyboard. For most people this means you
can't do it as all of those require a decent amount of intense security
coding. Luckily someone recently posted a URL that describes a tool that may
do this for you, check out:
http://www.visualautomation.com/comprod/sd5data.htm. I do not know for sure
if it will truly do this, but it is probably worth checking out.

--
---
Joe Richards

Opinions expressed are, as always, Joe's and probably insulting to someone
somewhere so just relax. =)
http://www.joeware.net

> I guess I didn't describe well enough:

> I have a friend that has developed (project managed -- not coding on it) a
> VB app running.  For stability and security reasons, we've put it on a
Win2k
> environment.  Since the app runs on a kiosk system, they want to disable
the
> CTRL-ALT-DEL function all together - not just Task Manager.  Is this
> possible (w/out doing it through coding)?  Will be running it on both a
> Win2k Server and Win2k Pro environment.

> Thanks in advance.

> > registry edit:

> > HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\sys
> > tem
> > Value: DisableTaskMgr
> > DWord Value: 1

> > (1 greys out the task manager option)
> > (0 enables the task manager option)

> > Paul

1. Ctrl-Alt-Del disabled

My company has given me a new Dell computer pre-loaded with Win2k.  On this
machine, pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing.  I can't look at the task list,
shut down a hung program, log off, lock the machine...  nothing.  I am aware
that you can enable/disable the ctrl-alt-del requirement for logging in, but
on this machine, the function is totally unavailable at all times.  Is this
situation correctable within Windows, or is there some third-party program
locking things up?  (I am the local administrator on this machine.)  I would
be grateful for any advice on this.

Larry

2. Still sick Mac

3. CTRL+ALT+DEL Disabled etc.

4. PP and the Classic Help menu

5. Win 98 CTRL+Alt+Del Disable

6. How to pass command line arguments?

7. how to disable ctrl-alt-del and ctrl-esc

8. SNMP Receiving traps

9. enable/disable Ctrl+Alt+Del, Alt + Tab

10. Disabled ctrl-alt-del under win2k

11. How do I disable ctrl-alt-del feature to log in

12. Disabling Ctrl-alt-del in 2000 professional

13. How to disable CTRL-ALT-DEL on a domain computer?