clustered node fail to boot up while another node is running Cluster Service

clustered node fail to boot up while another node is running Cluster Service

Post by Ben » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 15:24:43

I set up two computers for Clustering an application.
I install primary Active Direcotry on first node and
backup Active Directory on second node. These two nodes
are connected to an external SCSI harddisk. I don't have
external SCSI termninator, so I use ther internal
terminator in Host Adaptor (set termination to Automatic):

FirstNode ---- SCSI Harddisk --- SecondNode

I disable the "write cache" , "send start unit command"
and "reset SCSI bus" options of my two Adaptec 2950 UW
SCSI host adapter.

I have installed the Cluster successfully and the standby
server(say, server 1) will failover once the active server
(say, server 2)is down. However, server 2 will fail to
boot up. It will supspend just before the "Starting"
windows boot up screen is shown. And If I stop the cluster
service in server 1, server 2 will resume the booting
immediately.

Anybody can help me? what's wrong with my configurations ?
or I need to install external SCSI terminators ?

Thanks in advance

Ben

clustered node fail to boot up while another node is running Cluster Service

Post by Doug Fris » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 03:25:07

You need new adapters.

The 2950s are not on the HCL, and they quite possibly do not support
multiple initiators on the bus.

If it's not that, you should check to see that you've configured the SCSI ID
of the adapters to be unique.

Quote:> I set up two computers for Clustering an application.
> I install primary Active Direcotry on first node and
> backup Active Directory on second node. These two nodes
> are connected to an external SCSI harddisk. I don't have
> external SCSI termninator, so I use ther internal
> terminator in Host Adaptor (set termination to Automatic):

> FirstNode ---- SCSI Harddisk --- SecondNode

> I disable the "write cache" , "send start unit command"
> and "reset SCSI bus" options of my two Adaptec 2950 UW
> SCSI host adapter.

> I have installed the Cluster successfully and the standby
> server(say, server 1) will failover once the active server
> (say, server 2)is down. However, server 2 will fail to
> boot up. It will supspend just before the "Starting"
> windows boot up screen is shown. And If I stop the cluster
> service in server 1, server 2 will resume the booting
> immediately.

> Anybody can help me? what's wrong with my configurations ?
> or I need to install external SCSI terminators ?

> Thanks in advance

> Ben

clustered node fail to boot up while another node is running Cluster Service

Post by Ben » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 18:34:26

Thanks Frisk
I am sorry I made the typo mistake. In fact, I was using
Adaptec AHA-2940U/AHA-2940UW. and I set the SCSI ID for
first server to 7, second server to 6 and the shared
harddisk to 1.

Please do reply if you have any clues

regards

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>You need new adapters.

>The 2950s are not on the HCL, and they quite possibly do
not support
>multiple initiators on the bus.

>If it's not that, you should check to see that you've

configured the SCSI ID
>of the adapters to be unique.

>> I set up two computers for Clustering an application.
>> I install primary Active Direcotry on first node and
>> backup Active Directory on second node. These two nodes
>> are connected to an external SCSI harddisk. I don't have
>> external SCSI termninator, so I use ther internal
>> terminator in Host Adaptor (set termination to
Automatic):

>> FirstNode ---- SCSI Harddisk --- SecondNode

>> I disable the "write cache" , "send start unit command"
>> and "reset SCSI bus" options of my two Adaptec 2950 UW
>> SCSI host adapter.

>> I have installed the Cluster successfully and the
standby
>> server(say, server 1) will failover once the active
server
>> (say, server 2)is down. However, server 2 will fail to
>> boot up. It will supspend just before the "Starting"
>> windows boot up screen is shown. And If I stop the
cluster
>> service in server 1, server 2 will resume the booting
>> immediately.

>> Anybody can help me? what's wrong with my
configurations ?
>> or I need to install external SCSI terminators ?

>> Thanks in advance

>> Ben

>.

1. clustered node fail to boot up while another node is running Cluster

[...]

2. 3rd caller can't hear or speak

3. Cluster services on secobdry node of my cluster service has stopped

4. WTB SC zips, Imagine 3.x, Lightwave SA

5. Cluster (MSCS) - Node failing to join cluster

6. Measure changes between 2 versions of the same project - C/C++ or Java

7. Cluster Error On Node 2 - Cluster Error.PNG [0/5]

8. cisco 7k through put per interface IP traffic

9. 2-node cluster - install SQL SP3 - failover fails

10. system attendant failed to start after restarting both nodes of a cluster

11. Pingable failed cluster node...no failover

12. DCOM error, cluster node failed

13. Starting Cluster Node failed