Win2000 reboots when it jolly feels like it!

Win2000 reboots when it jolly feels like it!

Post by davo » Sun, 24 Jun 2001 17:08:08

has anyone been having the same problem I have? ever since i first tried
win2000, it would reboot just like that. for example, id be using my
computer.....la la la, a sudden right click in the desktop and POOF! it just
reboots. now, after installing service pack 2, its still doing it. ill be
playing counter-strike and click something and POOF, it reboots. only one
person so far has given me some help, which was he thinks its a hardware
problem, i dunno. but, if win2000 is supposed to be so great, why is it
doing this? this isnt acceptable in my book, but win2k is great. COULD
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME THOUGH? ITS REALLLLLLLLY BUGGING ME. i would prefer

appreciated. thanks everyone! -davo

Win2000 reboots when it jolly feels like it!

Post by Jacques E. Boucha » Sun, 24 Jun 2001 17:10:56

Quote:> has anyone been having the same problem I have? ever since i first
> tried win2000, it would reboot just like that. for example, id be using
> my computer.....la la la, a sudden right click in the desktop and POOF!
> it just reboots.

        Try singing "dum, dee-dum" instead. Maybe that's the problem. ;-)

jaybee

Win2000 reboots when it jolly feels like it!

Post by Ron William » Sun, 24 Jun 2001 19:40:11

Turn off the "Automatically reboot" under the "System Failure" menu to see
if you can get some more information on exactly what might be causing the
problem.  To do this,:  Control Panels --> System --> Advanced --> Startup
and Recovery   On this screen, you also can see where it writes additional
info on the failures.  It might help.

> has anyone been having the same problem I have? ever since i first tried
> win2000, it would reboot just like that. for example, id be using my
> computer.....la la la, a sudden right click in the desktop and POOF! it
just
> reboots. now, after installing service pack 2, its still doing it. ill be
> playing counter-strike and click something and POOF, it reboots. only one
> person so far has given me some help, which was he thinks its a hardware
> problem, i dunno. but, if win2000 is supposed to be so great, why is it
> doing this? this isnt acceptable in my book, but win2k is great. COULD
> SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME THOUGH? ITS REALLLLLLLLY BUGGING ME. i would prefer

much

Post by Doug Co » Sun, 24 Jun 2001 21:44:24

> Turn off the "Automatically reboot" under the "System Failure" menu to see
> if you can get some more information on exactly what might be causing the
> problem.

Did that on mine a few days ago and it hasn't rebooted itself since...

Waiting...

Doug Cox
Work to ride, Ride to work...

http://www.users.Bigpond.com/Doug_Cox/

Win2000 reboots when it jolly feels like it!

Post by Bruce Chamber » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 00:46:48

Greetings --

    Random reboots are most often caused by transient hardware failures,
particularly those that are temperature related.  Double check the
connections of all of your PC's internal components, and make sure that all
of your cooling fans are working properly.  You haven't over-clocked the
CPU, have you?  This could also cause such problems, particularly as
over-clocking seriously shortens CPU life and raises operating temperatures
beyond design specifications.

HTH&GL,
Bruce Chambers

Natural laws have no pity.  -- RAH

> has anyone been having the same problem I have? ever since i first tried
> win2000, it would reboot just like that. for example, id be using my
> computer.....la la la, a sudden right click in the desktop and POOF! it
just
> reboots. now, after installing service pack 2, its still doing it. ill be
> playing counter-strike and click something and POOF, it reboots. only one
> person so far has given me some help, which was he thinks its a hardware
> problem, i dunno. but, if win2000 is supposed to be so great, why is it
> doing this? this isnt acceptable in my book, but win2k is great. COULD
> SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME THOUGH? ITS REALLLLLLLLY BUGGING ME. i would prefer

much
> appreciated. thanks everyone! -davo

Win2000 reboots when it jolly feels like it!

Post by Samir Mana » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 12:51:21

I have the same problem. A blue screen with an unhandled exception in
ntoskrnl.exe...
I tried 2 diffferent motherboards:AOpen with a p3-550 cpu, then Asus CUSL2-C
with a p3-733.
I have a Radeon AIW video card that requires directx8 installed. Every time
i install the enhanced Radeon display drivers after directx, i get that
exception at the end of the boot process.
In both cases i upgraded the motherboard BIOSes and chipset drivers: same
result.
Any ideas?

Thanx.

> Greetings --

>     Random reboots are most often caused by transient hardware failures,
> particularly those that are temperature related.  Double check the
> connections of all of your PC's internal components, and make sure that
all
> of your cooling fans are working properly.  You haven't over-clocked the
> CPU, have you?  This could also cause such problems, particularly as
> over-clocking seriously shortens CPU life and raises operating
temperatures
> beyond design specifications.

> HTH&GL,
> Bruce Chambers

> Natural laws have no pity.  -- RAH

> > has anyone been having the same problem I have? ever since i first tried
> > win2000, it would reboot just like that. for example, id be using my
> > computer.....la la la, a sudden right click in the desktop and POOF! it
> just
> > reboots. now, after installing service pack 2, its still doing it. ill
be
> > playing counter-strike and click something and POOF, it reboots. only
one
> > person so far has given me some help, which was he thinks its a hardware
> > problem, i dunno. but, if win2000 is supposed to be so great, why is it
> > doing this? this isnt acceptable in my book, but win2k is great. COULD
> > SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME THOUGH? ITS REALLLLLLLLY BUGGING ME. i would
prefer

> much
> > appreciated. thanks everyone! -davo

1. W98 Client hangs whens connecting to win2000 server

Hi NG,

I have spent the best part of a day configuring a new win2000 test
environment. My network uses Active Directory, DNS, WINS and DHCP. I have
finally managed to connect NT4 clients. Win98 client hang when I try to
connect them to the win2000 server. I have to switch the computers off to
reboot!

I have run netdiag and the network design look fine.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Jago Taylor

2. Anyone else tired of idiots

3. server that likes to reboot itself

4. Motif anyone...?

5. Reboots After Installing Inoculate It!

6. I urgently need some US street prices

7. PLEASE HELP-dogs ate WIN2000 PRO CD, and I need it!

8. Object Modelers Wanted in Southeast US

9. Whens the service pack out?

10. windows installer - will not keep it`s clothes on!

11. It′s possible a network with tcp/ip?

12. Reboot... reboot... reboot

13. Adaptec DirectCD causing reboot after reboot after reboot