win2k prof or win2k server?

Post by nev » Tue, 09 Jan 2001 00:55:45

scenario
5 user group (unlikely to expand beyond another seat or two) want a basic
file server adding to their current peer/peer network. whilst they want
internet/email to the desktop they dont want the overhead & expense of
running with a system such as ms small business server 4.5 (or 2k when
released)

so ......... im putting together a scsi160 based system with isdn dialup (to
go to adsl when in area) & auto dds3/4 backup / auto updating antivirus
software and mail/proxy server software which will give full internet &
email to the desktop

the question
as its such a small group unlikely to expand beyond another user or two will
windows 2000 professional rather than server do the job and if not, why?

my thinking is just on budget here and keeping costs down but if it would
limit usability too much then w2k server it would be but I cant think of
what it couldnt do if professional was used instead ... can anyone else?
(does professional still allow upto 10 concurrent connections as win nt4
workstation did?)

win2k prof or win2k server?

Post by Frank » Tue, 09 Jan 2001 01:35:37

The way you described your network, I'd go with W2kPro.  The problem?
Price.  Pro costs about $300.00 (depending) and Server costs about $1200.00.
With server, you also may need to purchase additioinal "per-seat" Client
Access Licenses (depending on your specific needs) for each of your
workstations that need to connect to it (about $35.00 each).

Pro limitations?  Limited to 10 network connections (this is the MAJOR one).
All administration has to be performed on each and every workstation (no
centralized management).  But... with cost considerations, a small
workgroup, Pro is probably your best bet.  Having said that... if  you can
"talk them into" paying for server... I'd buy it (-grin!).  Much easier to
administrate.  Even in 5-10 workstation scenarios.

-Frank

Quote:> scenario
> 5 user group (unlikely to expand beyond another seat or two) want a basic
> file server adding to their current peer/peer network. whilst they want
> internet/email to the desktop they dont want the overhead & expense of
> running with a system such as ms small business server 4.5 (or 2k when
> released)

> so ......... im putting together a scsi160 based system with isdn dialup
> go to adsl when in area) & auto dds3/4 backup / auto updating antivirus
> software and mail/proxy server software which will give full internet &
> email to the desktop

> the question
> as its such a small group unlikely to expand beyond another user or two
will
> windows 2000 professional rather than server do the job and if not, why?

> my thinking is just on budget here and keeping costs down but if it would
> limit usability too much then w2k server it would be but I cant think of
> what it couldnt do if professional was used instead ... can anyone else?
> (does professional still allow upto 10 concurrent connections as win nt4
> workstation did?)

win2k prof or win2k server?

Post by nev » Tue, 09 Jan 2001 06:09:44

Quote:> Pro limitations?  Limited to 10 network connections (this is the MAJOR
one).
> All administration has to be performed on each and every workstation (no
> centralized management).  But... with cost considerations, a small
> workgroup, Pro is probably your best bet.  Having said that... if  you can
> "talk them into" paying for server... I'd buy it (-grin!).  Much easier to
> administrate.  Even in 5-10 workstation scenarios.

> -Frank

thanks, will quote on 'pro' with a recommendation for 'server', covers it
all round then - if unexpectedly get any larger i'll move it upto backoffice
sbs, v2000 should be matured by then ;)

win2k prof or win2k server?

Post by Fred van Klavere » Tue, 09 Jan 2001 16:36:13

Hello,

How about Terminal Server support ?
Can this be added to a Win2000 Proff. ?

Thanks
Fred

Quote:> scenario
> 5 user group (unlikely to expand beyond another seat or two) want a basic
> file server adding to their current peer/peer network. whilst they want
> internet/email to the desktop they dont want the overhead & expense of
> running with a system such as ms small business server 4.5 (or 2k when
> released)

> so ......... im putting together a scsi160 based system with isdn dialup
> go to adsl when in area) & auto dds3/4 backup / auto updating antivirus
> software and mail/proxy server software which will give full internet &
> email to the desktop

> the question
> as its such a small group unlikely to expand beyond another user or two
will
> windows 2000 professional rather than server do the job and if not, why?

> my thinking is just on budget here and keeping costs down but if it would
> limit usability too much then w2k server it would be but I cant think of
> what it couldnt do if professional was used instead ... can anyone else?
> (does professional still allow upto 10 concurrent connections as win nt4
> workstation did?)

win2k prof or win2k server?

Post by Frank » Tue, 09 Jan 2001 21:47:29

No.  The Terminal Server Service, although built-in, is only available on
Win2K Server products.  And... don't let "built-in" mislead you.  It STILL
will not function for long (90 trial maybe?) without proper licensing.  No
trivial expense either!

-Frank

> Hello,

> How about Terminal Server support ?
> Can this be added to a Win2000 Proff. ?

> Thanks
> Fred

> > scenario
> > 5 user group (unlikely to expand beyond another seat or two) want a
basic
> > file server adding to their current peer/peer network. whilst they want
> > internet/email to the desktop they dont want the overhead & expense of
> > running with a system such as ms small business server 4.5 (or 2k when
> > released)

> > so ......... im putting together a scsi160 based system with isdn dialup
> > go to adsl when in area) & auto dds3/4 backup / auto updating antivirus
> > software and mail/proxy server software which will give full internet &
> > email to the desktop

> > the question
> > as its such a small group unlikely to expand beyond another user or two
> will
> > windows 2000 professional rather than server do the job and if not, why?

> > my thinking is just on budget here and keeping costs down but if it
would
> > limit usability too much then w2k server it would be but I cant think of
> > what it couldnt do if professional was used instead ... can anyone else?
> > (does professional still allow upto 10 concurrent connections as win nt4
> > workstation did?)

1. Win2k Prof to Win2k Prof VPN. Cannot Browse

I've looked and cannot find my scenario using W2K Prof
systems here and have spent about 2 weeks wondering what
is happening.

I have a simple setup. I have a Win2k Prof (System A at
home) VPN connection to another W2K Prof (system B) at
work. System B is a part of a LAN with Static IP's in the
90.0.0.'s range. The other NIC has static IP for the
Internet.  I can connect and authenticate but cannot
browse the workgroup for network resources beyond the
system setup for the incomming connection. The incomming
connectin is set to "Allow callers to access my local area
network" and I have "allow calling computer to specify its
own ip addy" checked as well as a pool of addresses in the
appropriate range.

p.s. All of the systems on the LAN at work are configured
as on a Workgroup. Little foggy on the difference between
domain and workgroup and if that has anything to do with
it. all of PC's on LAN are W98 with one File server
running NT 4.0 Server.

Thanks in advance!

2. ntp/xntp on AIX 3.2.4 with refclock

3. upgrade to win2k server (from win2k prof.)

4. Promise DC4030VL-2 & WARP?

5. Help : Win2k Server with DFS and Win2k Prof. Clients

6. Official xr_dd002 rsu fails, testcase succeeds

7. ICS problem with Win2k Prof. und Win2k-server

8. WTB Real3D

9. ICS Problem mit Win2k Prof. und Win2k-server

10. Can't access Win2k server from Win2k prof client w/ domain logon

11. Dual boot Win2k prof and Win2k Server?

12. dual boot win2k prof and win2k adv server

13. Upgrade from Win2K Prof. to Win2K Server