Installing 2 copies of Win2000 on the same PC

Installing 2 copies of Win2000 on the same PC

Post by Ben Smith [MVP » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

Install the two OSs, one after the other, and then edit the c:\boot.ini file
to give each a distinct name.

--
Ben Smith - MCT, MCSE+I, MVP

http://www.ntquestion.com

For free Windows 2000 Technical Information see:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/library

Quote:> hi,

Post by Giuseppe Salz » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

hi,

As strange as the question might seem, is it possible to install 2
versions of Win2K Pro on the same PC ? Two versions of the same thing, I
mean (for testing purposes). Clearly, they'll be on separate partitions
on my secondary drive.

And then, how to differentiate them on the boot screen ?

TIA,

Giuseppe Salza

Installing 2 copies of Win2000 on the same PC

Post by Stuar » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

You might want to try setting up one install of Win2K then Ghosting that
partition onto anther disk/partition and editing the boot.ini - just to save
time.

Stuart

> Works with no problems, if installed on separate partitions. You have to
> edit the labels in BOOT.INI to know which is which.

> > hi,

> > As strange as the question might seem, is it possible to install 2
> > versions of Win2K Pro on the same PC ? Two versions of the same thing, I
> > mean (for testing purposes). Clearly, they'll be on separate partitions
> > on my secondary drive.

> > And then, how to differentiate them on the boot screen ?

> > TIA,

> > Giuseppe Salza

Installing 2 copies of Win2000 on the same PC

Post by Amiri Jone » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

    I don't that'll work; the partitions will have different drive letters,
yet all the paths in the various INI files and the Registry will be pointing
to the first installation.

> You might want to try setting up one install of Win2K then Ghosting that
> partition onto anther disk/partition and editing the boot.ini - just to
save
> time.

> Stuart

> > Works with no problems, if installed on separate partitions. You have to
> > edit the labels in BOOT.INI to know which is which.

> > > hi,

> > > As strange as the question might seem, is it possible to install 2
> > > versions of Win2K Pro on the same PC ? Two versions of the same thing,
> > > mean (for testing purposes). Clearly, they'll be on separate
partitions
> > > on my secondary drive.

> > > And then, how to differentiate them on the boot screen ?

> > > TIA,

> > > Giuseppe Salza

Installing 2 copies of Win2000 on the same PC

Post by Pave » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

It will work but you have to be careful when installing new programs because
some programs are not very smart during the installation and may install
them self on the "other" drive and you may not even notice it until you
remove one of the Win2K.  To prevent this kind of problems pay very careful
attention during installs to the location of installation.

--
Pavel

Quote:> hi,

> As strange as the question might seem, is it possible to install 2
> versions of Win2K Pro on the same PC ? Two versions of the same thing, I
> mean (for testing purposes). Clearly, they'll be on separate partitions
> on my secondary drive.

> And then, how to differentiate them on the boot screen ?

> TIA,

> Giuseppe Salza

Installing 2 copies of Win2000 on the same PC

Post by Zathra » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

You can edit the labels in the boot.ini file to differentiate between the
installations.

> It will work but you have to be careful when installing new programs
because
> some programs are not very smart during the installation and may install
> them self on the "other" drive and you may not even notice it until you
> remove one of the Win2K.  To prevent this kind of problems pay very
careful
> attention during installs to the location of installation.

> --
> Pavel

> > hi,

> > As strange as the question might seem, is it possible to install 2
> > versions of Win2K Pro on the same PC ? Two versions of the same thing, I
> > mean (for testing purposes). Clearly, they'll be on separate partitions
> > on my secondary drive.

> > And then, how to differentiate them on the boot screen ?

> > TIA,

> > Giuseppe Salza

1. Installing Win2000 on a PC that already has Win2000 on another disk

On my PC there are 2 hard disks:
- A 40GB hard disk. This is where a lot of data is stored and at the
moment the OS (Windows2000) is running from this disk.
- A 10GB hard disk. This one's empty and I'm planning on installing
Windows2000 on this one, so that this disk will run my OS.

Now I wonder if I get into Big Trouble when I install Windows2000 on
that second hard disk. After all, when I put the 40GB disk back in the
computer later on, there will be 2 Windows2000's in that PC.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to install Windows2000 on the
10GB disk and restart the system with both disks in the computer
without the 2 Operating Systems to get into some sort of a 'fight'
over who gets to start up?

Thanks in advance!

Sacha

2. Shortcut

3. Office copy command restarts PC - WIN2000

4. Circumvent User GPO settings

5. Installing Single Copy of Windows 2000 on Multiple PCs over Network

6. DIB are rotated - it is not convenient for me

7. copy passwords from another pc to a new pc in IE

8. Can I make a copy of one pc's favorites, use in another pc?

9. Copy Windows 98 Dialup Connections from PC to PC

10. Installing Win98, Win2000 and Linux on one PC

11. can i install 2 usb modem into one pc that is win2000?

12. wiping XP OFF PC/INSTALLING WIN2000?