close netbios ?!?

Post by io.co » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 07:04:40

Hi,

i would like Know if are some problem if i close a netbios servies and
remove a administrative share how C$ and IPC$ ...
What may happened ? It' s' possible a malfunction on the server ?
My scenario is mixed : AD 2000 , old PDC nt4 and IIS ...

Thanks in advance

close netbios ?!?

Post by Salt_Pete » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:43:49

I'm perplexed, since an NT4 PDC can't coexist with a W2K machine running AD
in the same domain, are you using a trust relationship between distinct
domains? Just curious.

Removing the admin shares is a good idea but disabling InterProcess
Communication means no client/ server can authenyicate to W2K AD. Disabling
netbios will prevent any communication with NT4 since netbios is required
for connectivity / authentication on the older OS. Netbios applications on
W2K will cease to function and Network Neighbourhood will be empty.

Have you considered using a firewall and filtering tcp/ip instead?

Quote:> Hi,