Q: using W2000 Professional on multiple networks

Q: using W2000 Professional on multiple networks

Post by Steve Sanya » Sun, 05 Nov 2000 12:11:54

Hi,

I just installed Windows 2000 Professional today.  I am trying to figure out
how to set it up for my situation:

1) At work, I connect using a computer name called NAME1, and it belongs to
a domain.
2) At home, I use a cable modem, and I have a different computer name,
NAME2 -- this is used for DHCP, and serves as the hostname.  In this case it
is standalone.  However, I may use the system at home with VPN access.

I have separate network settings in each case, ie: WINS configuration, etc.
However, it seems I can only bind one set of settings to the whole system.
Is this true?

I tried creating multiple hardware profiles, but in fact the hardware hasn't
really changed, only the network settings have.

What is my best method of getting things to run smoothly?

Regards,
Steve

Q: using W2000 Professional on multiple networks

Post by Paul Shapir » Sun, 05 Nov 2000 04:00:00

The netsh command lets you make some changes. You could use a batch file to
switch between settings. People have also recommended a utility called
NetSwitcher ($10), although I haven't used it.

Using a different ethernet card (different brand is the most reliable) you
can have different settings for each card automatically. Win2K considers
them different devices. The hardware profiles do not save those kinds of
changes.

I think joining/leaving a domain is NOT automatable with any of these
approaches.
Paul Shapiro

Quote:> I just installed Windows 2000 Professional today.  I am trying to figure