Belkin AVR-500VA UPS questions and Win2000 shutdown problems

Belkin AVR-500VA UPS questions and Win2000 shutdown problems

Post by anonymou » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 04:00:00

When I installed my PK Electronics 'BlackoutBuster' 500VA with
a serial port input (which is on COM2 on my computer), neither of the two
software
packages that PK Electronics supplied worked very well with Windows 2000.
I finally uninstalled the third party software and just used the Windows
2000
built-in U.P.S. configuration utility since my needs are pretty simple.
Start-Settings-Control Panel-Power Options-UPS-Select-Generic-COM port 2-
-Custom-Next and then set signal polarity.
You can configure it for elapsed time and/or serial inputs
--------------------

Quote:> x-no-archive: yes

> [...]

> formula?

> - The box shows a "Surge Energy Rating" of 320 Joules, but the specs in
> the manual say "Spike Protection" is 150 Joules. Which is correct?

> - Why do most UPS's I see have very low spike/surge ratings like this
> when most passive surge protectors have ratings closer to 600-1200
> Joules? I read a message saying that a low Joule rating on a UPS is not
> a big problem - if this is true can someone briefly explain why?

> - The writing on the package about the "Automatic Voltage Regulation"
> feature made it sound like the computer is always receiving regulated
> power. Yet the monitor software indicates this only will happen when the
> voltage drops below 90V or goes above 140V. In other words, most of the
> time my voltage is not being adjusted at all?

> - In the software's Help, an I/O Current meter is shown, yet no current
> meters are selectable on my system. Is that feature only available on
> different Belkin UPS models?

> - "Advanced UPS Property" also does not show up on my menu. Are the
> enable-resume computer options only available on different models?

> - In searching the Internet the only UPS FAQ I could find was by Nick
> Christenson dated 2/26/98. It didn't even mention Belkin. Are there any
> more recent FAQs available? I visited every UPS dealer's web page and
> none of them provided the in-depth information I wanted, especially a
> list of "do's and don'ts".

> - This Belkin unit says it has lead acid batteries. I don't know
> anything about that except one brief passage in the old UPS FAQ which
> said it's a bad idea to run them dry. Of course I didn't know I'd only
> have 30 seconds from the time my system says "Low Battery" before it ran
> dry, so it was unavoidable that this happened a few times while I was
> testing it. Does the fact that it ran dry a few times (all within an
> hour's time before it could charge back up much) mean my lead acid
> battery has been significantly harmed, or is this pretty minor as long
> as I don't run it dry very often?

> - This leads to the question: what is a good amount of the battery to
> consume before shutting down? 30%? It seems the battery usage is very
> non-linear. It takes nearly 10 minutes to get below 50%, maybe 90
> seconds to get to 15% and 30 seconds to get to 0%.. When it's recharging
> it jumps up to 60% almost immediately, but it takes many hours to reach
> 100%. Is this normal behavior?

> - Finally, the Belkin software works fine under Windows 2000, but under
> "Control Panel -> Power Options -> UPS" it says I have no UPS. The UPS
> only appears under "Batteries -> HID UPS Battery" and of course in the
> system tray. Is that normal for a Belkin USB UPS?

> Sorry for so many questions, but these are pretty important issues I
> need resolved and I don't know where else to find the answers except by
> posting. (I already tried searching Deja News with little success.)

1. Problem with APC USB Backup-UPS CS 500VA with Windows 2000

Hi,

I recently installed this APC UPS and its supplied driver and Power Options
Configuration Wizard application/software for Windows 2000. Since the
installation was done under my own Windows 2000 login account with
administrator priviledge, if I log into Windows 2000 with this account, I'd
see on the task bar the UPS icon with the indicator "On AC Power" , but if I
log into this Windows 2000 with another account aslo with administrator
priviledge or login with the Windows 2000's build-in Administrator account,
won't see this UPS icon on the windows' task bar, which I believe indicates
that it is not running any Power Schemes or monitoring the UPS battery.
Any idea what's wrong here? Why I can't see the Power Options
configuration icon if I log into the Windows 2000 with an account which is
not the one under which I installed the APC UPS driver and Power Options
Configuration Wizard?

Thanks,
James

2. some useful lisproutines - hm-lisp.zip (1/1)

3. Problem APC USB Back-UPS CS 500VA with Windows 200

4. 2 NICs and 2 Web access

5. APC Back-Ups 500va

6. What is a Vindigo Link server?

7. Install Failure: Belkin Wireless PCI Adaptor + Belkin Wireless Notebook Network Adaptor (UK)

8. Best choice?

9. Problem with DNS and Belkin router

10. UPS shutdown

11. UPS multiple system shutdown