Network and dial-up connections shows no connections

Network and dial-up connections shows no connections

Post by Bria » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 06:10:58

Has anyone ever ran into a situation where the Networking
and Dial-Up connections shows no connections including the
add new connections option.  I have tried re-applying SP3,
advanced settings, etc.  The network card exists in device
manager and I can access network devices and the Internet
but I cannot modify any settings.  Bizarre.  Any help
would be appreciated, please send email to

subject so I can more easily distinguish it from the
garbage I receive daily.  Thanks

Network and dial-up connections shows no connections

Post by ynotsso » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 06:53:08

[...]

> as the subject so I can more easily distinguish it from the garbage I
> receive daily.  Thanks

You must think that USENET is your private consulting service. You post it
here, you read it here.

USENET can share and archive the knowledge that is presented in response
to questions such as your own. This makes it possible for others with
similar problems to search the archives and find answers.

Email responses remove the solutions from public scrutiny and from ever
being archived, so that the same questions get asked time and time again
by those who are too lazy to conduct a simple search.

Maybe if you pressed F5 the icons would re-arrange themselves back in the
borders of the window.

         tony

--
use hotmail.com for any email replies

Network and dial-up connections shows no connections

Post by bria » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 08:19:14

I don't know what pissed you off, but F5 does nothing.  In
the window there is nothing listed and at the bottom
status it says "0 objects".  Sorry if I pissed anyone off,
but your assistance would be appreciated.  After all,
that's what this is supposed to be for isn't it?  Thanks
again, Brian

Quote:>You must think that USENET is your private consulting

service. You post it
Quote:>here, you read it here.

>USENET can share and archive the knowledge that is

presented in response
Quote:>to questions such as your own. This makes it possible for
others with
>similar problems to search the archives and find answers.

>Email responses remove the solutions from public scrutiny
and from ever
>being archived, so that the same questions get asked time
and time again
>by those who are too lazy to conduct a simple search.

>Maybe if you pressed F5 the icons would re-arrange

themselves back in the
Quote:>borders of the window.

>         tony

Network and dial-up connections shows no connections

Post by Alphons » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 01:06:18

Hello Brian,
If you want to know what pissed Tony off, please re-read the first line of
his answer. Granted that he is right, never mind poor Tony for he seems to
get pissed off over the slightest thing--I've read all of his answers and
most out of 18 in the last 5 DAYS have some gripe on his part. I don't know
what kind of bug he has up his *** or if it's that he needs to get properly
laid, not just pay for it, or maybe he needs to come out of the closet and
get rid of his personal frustrations.  Maybe he thinks he is God for he
usually belittles those who know less than he does... I guess he thinks that
he was born knowing how to wipe his own *** and thus nobody had to show him.

Hey Tony, "Sorry if this sounds harsh, but" you "should re-think" your
relational/interpersonal skills and therefore your communication skills.
MANY of the things you say, whether comments or questions, CAN be said in a
MUCH more polite manner. Education is not just knowledge, but CULTURE, first
and foremost, so please get some. If we all could think everything out in
the right order, have the ability to always immediately search in the right
places, have perfectly analytical minds, basically, we would not ever need
user groups or forums, would we?  Have YOU EVER asked a question?

Brian, I apologize that I don't have an answer for your problem and for
using your post for the above purpose, but I do hope that someone with the
right answer for you will post it here instead of replying or commenting on
my rant.

Quote:> I don't know what pissed you off, but F5 does nothing.  In

Post by ynotsso » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 01:51:47

> If you want to know what pissed Tony off, please re-read the first line of
> his answer. Granted that he is right, never mind poor Tony for he seems to
> get pissed off over the slightest thing --

[...]

Friday night /Saturday is an excellent example of the kind of thing that results
from tolerance of incompetence what you call "the slightest thing".

We once again have a seemingly unlimited number of people who want to call
themselves Windows "administrators" running vulnerable installations of MS-SQL
Server 2000, and the Internet is at a crawl because they don't know what they're
doing. It interferes with my work, and that's what pisses me off.

I provide whatever help I can for people in response to their needs. Calling
"bullshit" when someone calls themselves an "SA" and can't handle even the
most fundamental mouse function for a business that depends on them is something
that they need to hear before the boss points it out. The delivery would have been
entirely different if they had simply asked for help instead of beating their chest.

Your criticism of my style is noted and considered. Your need to remove it from
the realm of computer networking degrades it substantially however, so that most
of it will be ignored.

Speaking of which, don't you have a kill file? I do.

--
use hotmail.com for any email replies

Network and dial-up connections shows no connections

Post by Alphons » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:41:41

Quote:> I provide whatever help I can for people in response to their needs.

Granted and appreciated.

Quote:> We once again have a seemingly unlimited number of people who want to call
> themselves Windows "administrators" running vulnerable installations of
MS-SQL
> Server 2000, and the Internet is at a crawl because they don't know what
they're
> doing. It interferes with my work, and that's what pisses me off.

Tell me, do you ever make mistakes that affect someone else or are you that
perfect?  Were you born knowing or did  you have to learn? And aren't you,
in a certain way, the same as these people you are talking about thinking
that you are that much better than the rest?

The world is full of this in all aspects; everywhere you look, whether job,
sport, leisure activity, you name it, there is always going to be MANY who
believe they are more than what they really are. That is how life is, take
it or leave it. When I was in programming we had the rule of making programs
"idiot proof", knowing that no matter how hard we tried there would always
be someone who would try to do something inappropriate with the program and
create chaos (translated into "more work for us").  You just simply learn to
live with it.

The point, once again is, no matter what they think, or how stupid their
questions might seem to you, or what screw-ups they are in the process of
doing, what do YOU really gain by insulting someone instead of simply giving
the advise in a polite way?

(For those interested, read "Connected by desktops" by Pete Arevalo on Jan
25th 2003, if Tony doesn't kill it first)
Example : I quote you : "Is it really beyond your abilities to right-click
the shortcuts, examine the properties, takes stock of share limitations on
the host machines and create simple shortcuts to mounted shares which one
creates if they don't yet exist?"
The advise : Again I quote : "...you are certainly in over your head and
should re-think your position there before you are *really* put on the spot
with a minor emergency."
If you had simply said that, you wouldn't have had the need to excuse it
with "Sorry if this sounds harsh, but". AND YOU STILL DID NOT ANSWER HIS
QUESTION!!! The guy has a job which is obviously seems to be beyond his
dreams... so he got lucky.  How do you know that he doesn't have the
opportunity to continue learning and therefore be able to handle emergencies
and keep the job???  Have you heard of something called On-the-job training?
Some companies DO use it. I give him credit for having the initiative to ask
in order to learn and do something right AND for having the guts to state
that he is "green". And on top of that the guy has much more decency than
you do... he thanked you though you attempted to insult him!!! Why should
you cut him down? Oh, yes, I almost forgot, it interferes with YOUR job.
Hmm, maybe you think that we should all just leave the internet to you alone
so you could do you job, no?

What exactly is your line of work, anyway?

Quote:> Calling "bullshit" when someone calls themselves an "SA" and can't handle
even the
> most fundamental mouse function for a business that depends on them is
something
> that they need to hear before the boss points it out. The delivery would
have been
> entirely different if they had simply asked for help instead of beating
their chest.

Sorry, but in public relations, in the realm of interpersonal and
communicational skills, specially when YOU ARE VOLUNTEERING, your attitude
does not cut it.  No matter what the person says or believes of
himself/herself, it should not be beyond you to be polite. If you can't, you
should consider doing something else.

Quote:> Your criticism of my style is noted and considered. Your need to remove it
from
> the realm of computer networking degrades it substantially however, so
that most
> of it will be ignored.

> Speaking of which, don't you have a kill file? I do.

Bravo, I congratulate you on your "kill file". I imagine you have a bunch
more geek tools with which you threaten people; I think I am just going to
sit here and shake. (RIGHT!!!) Tell us, does it make you feel big and macho?
Or at least take that self-image of geek out of your mind? Is it an
extension of your p****?  Do as you will, but if you don't understand that
my SOLE point was to get YOUR attention then you will have confirmed the
phrase "It is better to have people think you're an idiot than to open your
mouth and prove it."

And with this I close this chapter.

Network and dial-up connections shows no connections

Post by Lind » Sun, 02 Feb 2003 13:49:05

Easy Alphonse - don't let him get your * pressure up like that - it is
easy to take that sort of thing personally - but - Karma, what goes around
comes around and all that ..... he could just ignore the post - but - gets
some sort of charge out of responding negatively - just be glad that 'you
ain't him'.
Linda

> [...]

it
> from
> > the realm of computer networking degrades it substantially however, so
> that most
> > of it will be ignored.

> > Speaking of which, don't you have a kill file? I do.

> Bravo, I congratulate you on your "kill file". I imagine you have a bunch
> more geek tools with which you threaten people; I think I am just going to
> sit here and shake. (RIGHT!!!) Tell us, does it make you feel big and
macho?
> Or at least take that self-image of geek out of your mind? Is it an
> extension of your p****?  Do as you will, but if you don't understand that
> my SOLE point was to get YOUR attention then you will have confirmed the
> phrase "It is better to have people think you're an idiot than to open

1. adapter not showing under Network and Dial-up Connections

My network adapter is not showing under my Network and Dial-up Connections.
The only icon present it 'Make New Connection'.

I am running Win2k Server + cable modem, and have tried two different
adapters - LinkSys 10/100 EtherFast "Designed for Windows 2000" card and SMC
EZ card.  Both work fine, except neither would show up under Connections.  I
have also re-installed Win2k, but it didn't help.

Is there a way to fix that? Can I change something in the registry?
(I need to be able to add a protocol, for example)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Excel 97, Programing Charts in VBA

3. Local Area Connection disappeared from Network and Dial-up Connections

4. Looking for Company merger How To's

5. LAN network connection default instead of Dial-in network connection

6. I GOT FASTER LINK THAN YOUR 400K

7. Dial-up Connection passwords and hang-ups

8. Taking Notes Using MathCAD/ :-)

9. Dial-Up Networking works once per session, Shutdown then dies at 'Closing Network Connections'

10. using dial-up networking and a network connection simultaneously

11. Dial-up connection box always shows up at start-up

12. why is Telnet showing up on my dial-up connection?

13. Multiple Dial-Up Connections showing up