netscape4.73 and win2000

Post by mobius aon » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

when we try to make a new userprofile under a userdomain account netscape
4.73 just doesnt make that profile.
win2000 doesnt allow normal user to write into his program files but even if
we give the use administrator acces its still doesnt work only if we give
him domain adm priveleges.

can somebody help me with this ...

thanks in advance

netscape4.73 and win2000

Post by Robert Moi » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> when we try to make a new userprofile under a userdomain account netscape
> 4.73 just doesnt make that profile.
> win2000 doesnt allow normal user to write into his program files but even
if
> we give the use administrator acces its still doesnt work only if we give
> him domain adm priveleges.

> can somebody help me with this ...

I answered a similar query about this earlier and i'm gonna paste my answer
to that below....
Search for a thread titled "netscape" with the first posting on the 28th of
May to read the whole thing...

--- begin copy ------
Hi,
My apologies for the delay in getting back to you but i've been trying to
re-create your fault...
I've got an older version of communicator and what i found with that is that
it gave an error writing to the default profile path because ordinary users
do not have access rights to where netscape wanted to put it. I solved this
by writing the profiles to "c:\documents and settings\<username>\netscape".

I also saw problems with netscape wanting to write changes to
"HKLM\software\netscape\netscape navigator\users" in the registry which i
solved by giving users full control of that key. Note that while I had
problems, I didn't actually get the crash that you are getting.

I'm thinking your problem has the same root causes, i.e. permission problems
like these, and for some reason 4.73 does not handle this gracefully, so you
might try checking NTFS permissions for ordinary users to the area where
profiles are being stored, and to the key i mention above in the registry
also (use regedt32 to view and alter access rights to the registry). If you
do this and things improve then not only have we nailed where the bug is at,
but we've probably got most of the way to a fix.

hth
Robert Moir, Microsoft BackOffice MVP
Search the MS Knowledgebase using the link below
http://support.microsoft.com/support/search/c.asp?PSL=1
**Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup**
** I will NOT answer emailed queries **

1. SCANREG stops at 73%

Hi,

I have tried unsuccessfully to run scanreg/FIX - it repeatedly falls over at
73%.

Initially I thought this was due to its large size (12mb+) but I'm not so
sure. Anyone got any ideas? The registry is in fact pretty clean, but there
are a huge number of applications installed. I have run all the registry
tools that are normally recommended. I did some time ago try increasing the
memory in DOS but this did not work either.

--
Best Regards

Trevor Dwyer - SQL Server MVP

2. WinModem Upgrade Question

3. error messages in Win 98, lines 73 and 729

4. Bridging multiple machines to Net through PPP

5. Netscape4.7 & Gozilla! common error dialog

6. Upcoming Bills and Deposits Report Error

7. Netscape4.06

8. Win2000 client cannot join Win2000 domain

9. HELP, usermigration from WIN2000 domain to Win2000 domain

10. Help: How do I get a win2000 machine to join a Win2000 domain

11. win2000 pro in a domain win2000 server

12. Upgrade win2000 Server to win2000 ADV