will BDC continue to have synchronization?

will BDC continue to have synchronization?

Post by john grah » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 03:58:21

I'm really in a jam and would appreciate your input. I have a PDC and BDC. I
plan on upgrading the PDC to Win2k Server and install Active Directory.
However I still have an application that requires NT and needs to keep
running. Currently the application runs on the NT 4.0 PDC, but will be
removed before the upgrade. After upgrading the PDC to Win2k, I plan on
reinstalling the application on the BDC. The application needs user
authentication to function. My question is: If I remain in mixed mode, will
the BDC continue to have synchronization of user accounts with the Win2k DC?
Also I plan on bringing in a new fresh installed Win2k DC for replication
(backup) of the upgraded DC --how will this affect things?

Thank you for any consideration you give this question

will BDC continue to have synchronization?

Post by Matjaz Ladav » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 04:36:08

As long as you stay in mixed mode, your BDC will function correctly. Adding
aditional w2k DC to the network will cause no problems. Just remember, to
set up DNS servers right.
You could allso demote your PDC to BDC, promote BDC to PDC and install w2k
and AD on that one, so you don't have to reinstall your app.

Regards

Matjaz Ladava

Quote:> I'm really in a jam and would appreciate your input. I have a PDC and BDC.
> plan on upgrading the PDC to Win2k Server and install Active Directory.
> However I still have an application that requires NT and needs to keep
> running. Currently the application runs on the NT 4.0 PDC, but will be
> removed before the upgrade. After upgrading the PDC to Win2k, I plan on
> reinstalling the application on the BDC. The application needs user
> authentication to function. My question is: If I remain in mixed mode,
will
> the BDC continue to have synchronization of user accounts with the Win2k
DC?
> Also I plan on bringing in a new fresh installed Win2k DC for replication
> (backup) of the upgraded DC --how will this affect things?

> Thank you for any consideration you give this question

1. does BDC continue to have synchronization

I'm really in a jam and would appreciate some input. I have a PDC and BDC. I
plan on upgrading the PDC to Win2k Server and install Active Directory.
However I still have an application that requires NT and needs to keep
running. Currently the application runs on the NT 4.0 PDC, but will be
removed before the upgrade. After upgrading the PDC to Win2k, I plan on
reinstalling the application on the BDC. The application needs user
authentication to function. My question is: If I remain in mixed mode, will
the BDC continue to have synchronization of user accounts with the Win2k DC?
Also I plan on bringing in a new fresh installed Win2k DC for replication
(backup) of the upgraded DC --how will this affect things?

Thank you for any consideration you give this question

2. REPOST: Help needed with Highlights in Inventor 2.0, please help

3. BDC continue to have synchronization ?

4. debugging tools

5. Force synchronization with NT4 BDC

6. HP48SX - Amiga stuff trade?

7. I'm having trouble deleting a BDC from a w2000 domain.

8. 68hc11 microcontroller FAQ

9. Can i Upgrade NT4.0 BDC to Win2k BDC in an NT4 Domain

10. Can i upgrade NT4.0 BDC to Win2K BDC in an NT4 Domian

11. Having more problems trying to install fonts in Win98. - Continued from 1/25/99

12. Copy User Question Continued