''My Document'' icon doesn't show up.

Post by Lee C » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 22:58:37

Okay, this is gonna sound weird, but I have a Hewlett Packard Pavilion 6350,
OEM type WIN 98 originally, and it didn't want to up to WIN 2000 in the
first place.  According to HP it wasn't upgradeable.

I finally hammered in WIN 2000 Pro, and am now working out some small
glitches

So, here's the deal:  The special icon for ''My Documents'' shows up on the
desktop.  However, if one goes to ''My Computer'' and then opens the
''D:\>'' drive (I've moved that folder to D:\> via TweakUI), then the ''My
Documents'' file (renamed as just ''Documents'') shows up as just another
folder with the standard folder icon.

I decided to reinstall WIN 2000 fresh, without any customizations like
moving the ''My Documents'' folder, and it appears the same way.  The
special icon appears ONLY when going in through the Desktop entry, and does
not appear in the folder list from ''My Computer''.

Quaere then:  Is this the way they all work?

I know this doesn't sound important, but, as I said, I'm working out several
small glitches related to the fact that this computer isn't supposed to be
able to run WIN 2000 in the first place.  And I'm trying to get a handle on
how the pieces that aren't quite fitting together should fit together.

So, quaere rephrased:  If you go to ''My Computer'' and from there run down
the ''My Documents'' folder (no matter what you have it set as on yours),
does WinExplorer show you the special icon or does it appear as just another
ordinary folder?

''My Document'' icon doesn't show up.

Post by Dave Patric » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 00:24:13

The default location is;
\Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents

--
Regards,

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/ 2000]

[...]

Post by Lee C » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 01:17:16

Well, obviously, I phrased the question poorly.

If I may try again...

If you click on ''My Computer'' and browse to

 \Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents

Does  the WinExplorer (NTFS) show you the ''My Documents'' folder as bearing
the special, designated icon?  Or does it just show you a standard folder
icon from there, and the special icon still be on the desktop?

I'm trying to figure out if I'm trying to fix that icon trail because I
expect it to be there, because it was in WIN 98 or if it's actually broke.
Perhaps it's not like that in WIN 2000?

> The default location is;
> \Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/ 2000]

> Okay, this is gonna sound weird, but I have a Hewlett Packard Pavilion

6350, OEM type WIN 98
Quote:> originally, and it didn't want to up to WIN 2000 in the first place.

According to HP it wasn't
Quote:> upgradeable. I finally hammered in WIN 2000 Pro, and am now working out

some small glitches So,
Quote:> here's the deal:  The special icon for ''My Documents'' shows up on the

desktop.  However, if one
Quote:> goes to ''My Computer'' and then opens the ''D:\>'' drive (I've moved that
folder to D:\> via
> TweakUI), then the ''My Documents'' file (renamed as just ''Documents'')

shows up as just another
Quote:> folder with the standard folder icon. I decided to reinstall WIN 2000
fresh, without any
> customizations like moving the ''My Documents'' folder, and it appears the

same way.  The special
Quote:> icon appears ONLY when going in through the Desktop entry, and does not

appear in the folder list
Quote:> from ''My Computer''. Quaere then:  Is this the way they all work? I know
this doesn't sound
> important, but, as I said, I'm working out several small glitches related

to the fact that this
Quote:> computer isn't supposed to be able to run WIN 2000 in the first place.

And I'm trying to get a
Quote:> handle on how the pieces that aren't quite fitting together should fit

together. So, quaere
Quote:> rephrased:  If you go to ''My Computer'' and from there run down the ''My

Documents'' folder (no
Quote:> matter what you have it set as on yours), does WinExplorer show you the

special icon or does it
Quote:> appear as just another ordinary folder?

''My Document'' icon doesn't show up.

Post by Lee C » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 01:30:41

Forgot to mention; I'm using the Pro version--might make a difference?

> The default location is;
> \Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/ 2000]

> Okay, this is gonna sound weird, but I have a Hewlett Packard Pavilion

6350, OEM type WIN 98
Quote:> originally, and it didn't want to up to WIN 2000 in the first place.

According to HP it wasn't
Quote:> upgradeable. I finally hammered in WIN 2000 Pro, and am now working out

some small glitches So,
Quote:> here's the deal:  The special icon for ''My Documents'' shows up on the

desktop.  However, if one
Quote:> goes to ''My Computer'' and then opens the ''D:\>'' drive (I've moved that
folder to D:\> via
> TweakUI), then the ''My Documents'' file (renamed as just ''Documents'')

shows up as just another
Quote:> folder with the standard folder icon. I decided to reinstall WIN 2000
fresh, without any
> customizations like moving the ''My Documents'' folder, and it appears the

same way.  The special
Quote:> icon appears ONLY when going in through the Desktop entry, and does not

appear in the folder list
Quote:> from ''My Computer''. Quaere then:  Is this the way they all work? I know
this doesn't sound
> important, but, as I said, I'm working out several small glitches related

to the fact that this
Quote:> computer isn't supposed to be able to run WIN 2000 in the first place.

And I'm trying to get a
Quote:> handle on how the pieces that aren't quite fitting together should fit

together. So, quaere
Quote:> rephrased:  If you go to ''My Computer'' and from there run down the ''My

Documents'' folder (no
Quote:> matter what you have it set as on yours), does WinExplorer show you the

special icon or does it
Quote:> appear as just another ordinary folder?

''My Document'' icon doesn't show up.

Post by Dave Patric » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 01:46:40

The folder appears as a normal folder. I believe the following subkey is responsible for the icon as
you see it on the desktop.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}

--
Regards,

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/ 2000]

 Well, obviously, I phrased the question poorly. If I may try again... If you click on ''My
Computer'' and browse to  \Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents Does  the WinExplorer
(NTFS) show you the ''My Documents'' folder as bearing the special, designated icon?  Or does it
just show you a standard folder icon from there, and the special icon still be on the desktop? I'm
trying to figure out if I'm trying to fix that icon trail because I expect it to be there, because
it was in WIN 98 or if it's actually broke. Perhaps it's not like that in WIN 2000?

''My Document'' icon doesn't show up.

Post by Lee C » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 01:55:13

Thank you muchly--I's trying to run down another irregularity, and was
wondering if this was related.  Shows different in WIN 98, but I'm gonna
make a now educated guess that this difference is not related to my hunt.

Thanks again.  And I will look over that key first anyway...

Quote:> The folder appears as a normal folder. I believe the following subkey is

responsible for the icon as
> you see it on the desktop.

> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/ 2000]

>  Well, obviously, I phrased the question poorly. If I may try again... If
you click on ''My
> Computer'' and browse to  \Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents

Does  the WinExplorer
Quote:> (NTFS) show you the ''My Documents'' folder as bearing the special,

designated icon?  Or does it
Quote:> just show you a standard folder icon from there, and the special icon

still be on the desktop? I'm
Quote:> trying to figure out if I'm trying to fix that icon trail because I expect

it to be there, because
Quote:> it was in WIN 98 or if it's actually broke. Perhaps it's not like that in
WIN 2000?

1. Folder properties dialog doesn't show and 'Search' hangs

When I right-click a folder, choose Properties, the Explorer window loses
the focus, but no other window appears. It is not somewhere hidden after
another window too. Same thing when I go through the File menu.

I can see the properties of a file though.

Also, when I hit the search button in the toolbar, it takes forever to show
it completely and it doesn't work anyway. When I go through the Start menu
to search, the explorer thread that controls the taskbar hangs.

I'm not too sure, but I believe it is caused by uninstalling MSN Explorer.

Any ideas (haven't tried re?nstalling MSN Explorer yet)?

--

Kind regards,

Sven Aelterman
IT
Global Communication N.V.

http://www.aelterman.com
http://www.my-it.org.

And remember: Bugs come in through Windows.

2. Migrating NT PDC to W2K AD in the same domain

3. '''''''' xmouse and tweakui

4. New password authenticated key exchange

5. DelProf doesn't work: What's 'inactive' profile ?

6. Error when I try to run info; pls advise

7. folders 'all users' accessible in all 'my document' folders

8. Hitachi disks (DK516C-16)

9. Alternate location of 'My Documents' and 'Program Files' in W2K

10. Setting up 'D:' as the default drive for 'Documents and Settings'

11. 'My Documents' changed to 'Personal'

12. Win2000 'trees' vs 'domains' vs. 'sites'

13. Page File '''HELP'''