Win 2K Pro, Win 2K Server, and Win 2K Advanced Server

Post by Bryan Parkof » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Win 2K Pro, Win 2K Server, and Win 2K Advanced Server

    What is the difference between Win 2K Pro, Win 2K Server, and Win 2K
Advanced Server?  I own 3-4 PCs.  One of them needs to become to be Server.
It will have its own web site that allows people to access to the web site
into the server through the internet.  Please advise.

--
Regards,

Bryan Parkoff

Win 2K Pro, Win 2K Server, and Win 2K Advanced Server

Post by Matthew Pierc » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Bryan,

I'll make this as easy as possible  :)

Windows 2000 Professional - For workstation PCs, this is the flavour of
windows 2000 you would use if you were working with many applications on the
computer. Very much like Windows 98 but takes advantage of everything
windows 2000.

Windows 2000 Server - For server PC's, this is the flavour of windows 2000
that hosts and serves many of the features required for networks and
internet. This version of server is fit for small business, soho businesses
or larger office businesses. You use this server product to administer you
users on the network, host web servers and sites, email, news and software.
There are many more features of windows 2000 server.

Windows 2000 Advanced Server - Is for higher performance servers. I has
everything stated above plus more and is run on high end servers.

I hope this helps. For more information, check out
www.microsoft.com/windows/

-Matthew Pierce

> Win 2K Pro, Win 2K Server, and Win 2K Advanced Server

>     What is the difference between Win 2K Pro, Win 2K Server, and Win 2K
> Advanced Server?  I own 3-4 PCs.  One of them needs to become to be
Server.
> It will have its own web site that allows people to access to the web site
> into the server through the internet.  Please advise.

> --
> Regards,

> Bryan Parkoff

Win 2K Pro, Win 2K Server, and Win 2K Advanced Server

Post by awenze » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:00:00

On my laptop, I have my choice of installing Professional or Server. I
develop websites and other sophisticated web-based systems, and I'd
like the ability to replicate the deployment environment as closely as
possible on my laptop. Therefore, my preference at this point is to
install Server. In addition, I use my laptop for mobile computing, as I
work from both office and home.

My question is really this: what will I lose by running Server instead
of Pro?

Thanks.
Anthony

> Bryan,

> I'll make this as easy as possible  :)

> Windows 2000 Professional - For workstation PCs, this is the flavour
of
> windows 2000 you would use if you were working with many applications
on the
> computer. Very much like Windows 98 but takes advantage of everything
> windows 2000.

> Windows 2000 Server - For server PC's, this is the flavour of windows
2000
> that hosts and serves many of the features required for networks and
> internet. This version of server is fit for small business, soho
businesses
> or larger office businesses. You use this server product to
administer you
> users on the network, host web servers and sites, email, news and
software.
> There are many more features of windows 2000 server.

> Windows 2000 Advanced Server - Is for higher performance servers. I
has
> everything stated above plus more and is run on high end servers.

> I hope this helps. For more information, check out
> www.microsoft.com/windows/

> -Matthew Pierce

> > Win 2K Pro, Win 2K Server, and Win 2K Advanced Server

> >     What is the difference between Win 2K Pro, Win 2K Server, and
Win 2K
> > Advanced Server?  I own 3-4 PCs.  One of them needs to become to be
> Server.
> > It will have its own web site that allows people to access to the
web site
> > into the server through the internet.  Please advise.

> > --
> > Regards,

> > Bryan Parkoff

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Win 2K Pro, Win 2K Server, and Win 2K Advanced Server

Post by Robert Moir [MVP » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> On my laptop, I have my choice of installing Professional or Server. I
> develop websites and other sophisticated web-based systems, and I'd
> like the ability to replicate the deployment environment as closely as
> possible on my laptop. Therefore, my preference at this point is to
> install Server. In addition, I use my laptop for mobile computing, as I
> work from both office and home.

> My question is really this: what will I lose by running Server instead
> of Pro?

You might find a server will run more overhead tasks, and may be optomised
to give a higher priority to background tasks than desktop ones. This would
be a problem if you wanted to play Quake and visit the w2000 games newsgroup
on the server and compare frame rates and 3D mark scores with other gamers,
but I'm going to take a guess and reckon thats not a big problem for a
laptop toting web developer.