VPN - W98 TS CLient - and W2000 SP2

Post by Bob Princ » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 08:18:31

So am I the only one who has wasted time to discover that the combination of
1. VPN connection to W2k Server with SP2 from W98 client
2. Connect from W98 this VPN attached client to a W2k Terminal Server inside
network.
3. DONT WORK IF SP2 is installed on servers!

I think that the hotfix referenced in articles in this group -
q301337_ENU_i386_zip.exe
fixes this.

All works fine if clients for VPN and TS are W2k Professional - but not if
W98.

How can I get this hotfix please... I've wasted enough time because of one
more
%$%^#^%##$ Microsoft quality problem.
NO I REFUSE TO CALL MS - where are the rouge hotfix sites?

VPN - W98 TS CLient - and W2000 SP2

Post by Bob Princ » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 01:36:29

The problem is fixed by hotfix  q301337_ENU_i386_zip.exe
We of course had to waste our time calling MS - the tech was clueless
and could only find the HF - no documentation Q document etc.

We applied it to the Terminal Server - not the ISA/VPN server and the
problem was fixed.
Now our W98 clients can connect to TServices, IIS web TSAC page via the VPN
and work fine.

THANKS A LOT MS! It's been a pleasure......

Quote:> So am I the only one who has wasted time to discover that the combination
of
> 1. VPN connection to W2k Server with SP2 from W98 client
> 2. Connect from W98 this VPN attached client to a W2k Terminal Server
inside
> network.
> 3. DONT WORK IF SP2 is installed on servers!

> I think that the hotfix referenced in articles in this group -
> q301337_ENU_i386_zip.exe
> fixes this.

> All works fine if clients for VPN and TS are W2k Professional - but not if
> W98.

> How can I get this hotfix please... I've wasted enough time because of one
> more
> %$%^#^%##$ Microsoft quality problem.
> NO I REFUSE TO CALL MS - where are the rouge hotfix sites?

VPN - W98 TS CLient - and W2000 SP2

Post by Bob Princ » Mon, 17 Sep 2001 03:17:03

OF course now access via RAS modem on this server is now broke!
IIS and 3389 port are dead if you come in via Ras now.
Thanks MS!

Quote:> So am I the only one who has wasted time to discover that the combination
of
> 1. VPN connection to W2k Server with SP2 from W98 client
> 2. Connect from W98 this VPN attached client to a W2k Terminal Server
inside
> network.
> 3. DONT WORK IF SP2 is installed on servers!

> I think that the hotfix referenced in articles in this group -
> q301337_ENU_i386_zip.exe
> fixes this.

> All works fine if clients for VPN and TS are W2k Professional - but not if
> W98.

> How can I get this hotfix please... I've wasted enough time because of one
> more
> %$%^#^%##$ Microsoft quality problem.
> NO I REFUSE TO CALL MS - where are the rouge hotfix sites?

1. Access denied sharing w95 and w98 resouces for W2000 clients

Hello!

We have (still) a problem with sharing resources from W95/98 machines to
W2000 servers and W2000 pro clients. When a W2000 pro client or someone
working with one of the W2000 servers try to connect shares
(\\computername\C) on W95/98 clients they can see the share and the resource
but when they click on the map 'C' the message 'access denied' appears.

Network information:

One domain running W2000 in mixed mode ( also several NT4 servers)
1 IP-range, 1 subnet mask.
Permissions are set correctly (1000% sure)
Connections directly, NOT running true routers or RAS.
DHCP server is active and correctly configured.

Extra information:

- Access control on the W95/98 clients on user-level

- All the W95/98 clients can share their resources and the W95/98 clients
can use resources on the W2000 servers and W2000 clients.

- With the command Netwatch on the W95/98 client, you do see the connection
with IPC$, the field computer name is filled with the right name,but the
field username is empty!!!!

Tried solutions:

- Q263648 van Microsoft, enabling Netbios over TCP/IP, this solution didn't
solve the problem.

- Running a W2K pro machine under 'Workgroup' and tried to connect with
Network Neighbourhood, but still 'Access denied'

-  Changed the client W95/98 properties from user-level security to
share-level, ...YES this works, but we want only share these sources for a
selected number of people......

Solutions very welcome.....is there ?

Huub Roem, the Netherlands

2. How to Back up Outlook Express data, reinstall Win98, then Restore Outlook Express Data

3. W98 Client & W2000 Server

4. HELP! Owner wants to upgrade to SCSI-2 but has Nexus card...

5. W2000 Server + W98 Clients - Curious behavior

6. The person you called is not able to accept Microsoft Netmeeting calls.

7. W2000+W98 then Uninstall W98 & reclaim Disk space??

8. ??Determine IMAGE from VERB

9. TS client for W98?

10. W2000 Pro : TS client install

11. problems with numlock when using a w98 client on w2k TS.

12. Problems with VPN client connection over W2000 router

13. VPN and novell networking client/w98