WinNT service pack question

Post by Invisibl » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:38:22

Given that I was the Windows NT 4.0 Workstation CD and the
Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a CD, is there a way I can
make a CD that will install Windows with SP6 already
applied?

I have found out how to do this with Windows 2000, but the
website says it can't be done with NT. There are
instructions on how to make the SP6 installer
automatically run once installation is complete, but
that's it.

Since all a service pack does is replace a few files, I
thought it would be easy to find the files and replace
them on the CD, but can't find any info on how to do this.

If anyone knows differently, let me know. OK, I know it's
hardly a disaster, but it does seem a little silly to
install all these files and then remove and replace them
immediately afterwards!

Thanks.

WinNT service pack question

Post by Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MV » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 07:23:22

Actually, SP's often modify the registry too, so it's not simply a
matter of replacing old files.

"Slipstreaming", as it's called, is not available for NT4.  At least
AFAIK.

hth

--
Ricardo M. Urbano
Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP

WinNT service pack question

Post by Invisibl » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 19:08:54

Quote:>Actually, SP's often modify the registry too, so it's not
simply a
>matter of replacing old files.

Mmm... well, I guess the computer has to know what SP is
has *somehow* ;-)

(I presume the registry itself is stored as a plain file
*somewhere*)

Quote:>"Slipstreaming", as it's called, is not available for
NT4.  At least
>AFAIK.

Ah well... that's what the website I found says. It's a
shame; would have been useful to install it on a partition
larger than 4GB, but hey, I've got Ghost.

I'm told Microsoft sells (or maybe used to sell?) CDs that
install a copy of NT with the service pack already
included - but maybe it just includes the SP executable
and automatically runs it when done. Who knows...

Thanks anyway.

WinNT service pack question

Post by Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MV » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 23:10:41

MS sold CD's that installed NT4 at SP1 for the longest time, but, again,
AFAIK, that was the highest SP they ever incorporated into an
installation CD.