Need xcopy -like- tool that will switch media.

Need xcopy -like- tool that will switch media.

Post by Greg Smit » Sun, 08 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hello all,

I need a tool like xcopy, but I need it to fill up disks (CD-RW's to
be specific) then prompt for the next disk.  I want to backup up files
in a format that I don't have to extract/unzip/etc.  So I want to just
plain copy all of the files, but xcopy whines that the disk is full.

So I need something just like xcopy, but when the disk is full, I want
a prompt for the next disk.

Anybody know of something like that?

Cheers,
Greg

Need xcopy -like- tool that will switch media.

Post by Kaiser Sos » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I don't know of anything yet, but with the Removable Media API Core, it's
probably just around the corner with third party software companies.

-Har

:
: Hello all,
:
: I need a tool like xcopy, but I need it to fill up disks (CD-RW's to
: be specific) then prompt for the next disk.  I want to backup up files
: in a format that I don't have to extract/unzip/etc.  So I want to just
: plain copy all of the files, but xcopy whines that the disk is full.
:
: So I need something just like xcopy, but when the disk is full, I want
: a prompt for the next disk.
:
: Anybody know of something like that?
:
: Cheers,
: Greg
:

Need xcopy -like- tool that will switch media.

Post by Bernd Blaau » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

This is not possible I think with standard cd-recordables, because you need
a program to burn the cd with the data.

An option could be to have cd-recordables formatted with DirectCD, which
makes one huge diskette of your cd-recordable, and then you could just do a
xcopy to the cd-r

However no idea about disk-prompting...

Quote:

> Hello all,

> I need a tool like xcopy, but I need it to fill up disks (CD-RW's to
> be specific) then prompt for the next disk.  I want to backup up files
> in a format that I don't have to extract/unzip/etc.  So I want to just
> plain copy all of the files, but xcopy whines that the disk is full.

> So I need something just like xcopy, but when the disk is full, I want
> a prompt for the next disk.

> Anybody know of something like that?

> Cheers,
> Greg

Need xcopy -like- tool that will switch media.

Post by Stealt » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00

What about using xcopy like this:

1) First turn on archive bit for all desired files using attrib, like
"ATTRIB +A C:\TEMP\*.* /S"
2) Use xcopy with /M. It turns of archive bit after file is copied, like
"XCOPY /M /S /E C:\TEMP\*.* R:\TEMP"
3) Change new disk
4) Repeat step 2 thru 3 until xcopy reports that "0 files copied"

I admit that this is not very sophisticated method, but it can be used when
you don't have any utilities available.

Quote:

> Hello all,

> I need a tool like xcopy, but I need it to fill up disks (CD-RW's to
> be specific) then prompt for the next disk.  I want to backup up files
> in a format that I don't have to extract/unzip/etc.  So I want to just
> plain copy all of the files, but xcopy whines that the disk is full.

> So I need something just like xcopy, but when the disk is full, I want
> a prompt for the next disk.

> Anybody know of something like that?

> Cheers,
> Greg

1. Help - My PC likes to switch itself ON ?!?

Hi
I have Win98 installed on a PC (First version of Win98).
Ive noticed that my PC likes to switch itself on (Ive checked the house for
poltergeists - didnt find any)...has anyone had this?

I thought it may be power management related , I have APM enabled on my
mobo.

Does anyone have any ideas what it may be?

Your help is greatly appreciated
Si

2. Executable of GUI invoking Simulink

3. XCOPY /EXCLUDE Switch

4. Help - Explorer executes on Startup

5. XCOPY command and the /D switch

6. Help wanted...

7. xcopy with /exclude switch

9. XCOPY Switches

10. any problems using /C switch of xcopy?

11. /UM switch not overwriting media

12. Windows Media Player - Command Line Switches