How do I disable ctrl-alt-del feature to log in

How do I disable ctrl-alt-del feature to log in

Post by Dav » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:18:47

I've just upgraded a computer from Win95 to Win2000.  I usually wipe
them down completely first and install onto a clean disk.  After the
upgrade I have a system which insists on me pressing ctrl-alt-del to
login.  This doesn't happen on a clean install.
I am logging in to a Novell network as well as the workstation so I
checked the Novell knowledge base first.  According to them there are
two ways of enabling this feature:
1. Users and Passwords - Advanced Tab - tick checkbox
2. Run MMC and load group policy and set in there.

The upgrade process seems to have used method 2 as when I look at the
first option the ticked box is greyed out and cannot be unticked.
Novell says that to undo the second option requires a large number of
changes to the registry.  They don't say what these changes are and I
can't find any help on the MS knowledgebase on this matter.
I ran MMC and tried changing the setting there but it has made no
difference so I guess Novell may be correct.
Does anyone have a list of the registry changes I need to make or an
easier way to get rid of this need to press cntl-alt-del.  I still
want the login screen to show and not go straight in as an assumed
user.
The computer is networked but is not in a domain.
Thanks
Dave

How do I disable ctrl-alt-del feature to log in

Post by Dave Patric » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:39:29

Control Panel|Users and Passwords, then uncheck the box for "Users must
enter a user name and password to use this computer"

--
Regards,

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]