Sharp increase in number of handles used by windows explorer

Sharp increase in number of handles used by windows explorer

Post by Aniruddh » Fri, 02 May 2003 08:09:44

Hello
 I have a windows 2000, server with SP3 installed
 When I use windows explorer to delete a very large
directory ( approx 10 gb ) , with lot of nested sub
directories, I see the following usng the Task manager
 The number of handles used by the explorer process
increases very rapdily. In this case the  peak handle
count was over 300,0000, After all the files were deleted
the explorer process  did not release all the handles  (in
fact more than a 100,000 ) handles were not released
      Is this a known issues ? Am i missing any update /
Service pack

 Any help is appreciated

thanks
- Aniruddha

Sharp increase in number of handles used by windows explorer

Post by Jeff Q » Fri, 02 May 2003 18:43:06

Hello Aniruddha,

Based on my research, there is no such known issue.

I have done a similar test and cannot see any handler increase.

It may be related to anti-virus software or some other third party
applications.

I believe you may try to do it in safe mode once you get such a chance
again.

Regards,

Jeff Qiu

Online Support Professional
Microsoft Corporation

This posting is provided ?AS IS? with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

--------------------

>Subject: Sharp increase in number of handles used by windows explorer
>Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:09:44 -0700

>Hello
> I have a windows 2000, server with SP3 installed
> When I use windows explorer to delete a very large
>directory ( approx 10 gb ) , with lot of nested sub
>directories, I see the following usng the Task manager
> The number of handles used by the explorer process
>increases very rapdily. In this case the  peak handle
>count was over 300,0000, After all the files were deleted
>the explorer process  did not release all the handles  (in
>fact more than a 100,000 ) handles were not released
>      Is this a known issues ? Am i missing any update /
>Service pack

> Any help is appreciated

>thanks
>- Aniruddha

1. Rapid increase in handle count when deleting large directory using explorer

Hello
 I have observed this on a Windows 2000 server with SP3.
Using windows explorer if I try to delete a very large
directory ( approx 10 gb, which has nested sub
directories ) , then it can be seen from the task manager
that
   - The  File handles used by this process increases very
rapidly . This also causes the memory usage to grow
abnormally. In this case the File Handle increased to
approx 300,0000. Even after deletion , the file handles
are not released ( in this case the explorer.exe still
showed that approx 190,000 ) file handles were being used.
  Is this some kind of  a handle leak. Do I need to
install any pacth to prevent this

thanks

- Aniruddha

2. Changing Directory

3. What is Windows 2000's Default Number of File Handles?

4. NS461 and Openchat

5. Windows 2000 Professional : Increasing Max Number of users on share

6. Very Slow W2K Pro Browser performance

7. Increasing the number of named pipes on Windows 2000 W2K

8. NDB's and HSI

9. Increasing file handles

10. QUick Reply Needed: How Do I Increase File Handles?

11. increasing file handles on win2k

12. window handle increment problem, want release handle, how to?

13. DocumentProperties increases handle count