What is this? I thought it was DNS!

Post by Keith A. Henderso » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

OK. I went to a computer on my net and typed the unc name of a computer on m
y network using a win98 client. It could not be found. I then typed in the i
p address of the machine and it found it. Went back and typed the unc and wh
am it was there. What does this mean, is win98 adding this to the lmhosts fi
le or is dns picking it up in the w2k server somewhere?

What is this? I thought it was DNS!

Post by Roger Abel » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

Maybe someone in a Win98 ng knows its resolver behavior (?)
or
Is the Win98 now dsclient upgraded ?

Quote:> OK. I went to a computer on my net and typed the unc name of a computer on
> y network using a win98 client. It could not be found. I then typed in the
> p address of the machine and it found it. Went back and typed the unc and
wh
> am it was there. What does this mean, is win98 adding this to the lmhosts
fi
> le or is dns picking it up in the w2k server somewhere?

1. Am I admin or am I not Admin, that is the question.

Hi,
  Interesting anominaly.

  I am a member of the Domain Admins. The Domain Admins group is a local
member of the Administrators group of my laptop. In the Fax Service
Management console no devices appear for devices. Fax printer does exist.
  When I put my account directly into the Administrators group and log off
and log back on the device is present in the Fax Service Management console.
  I have the same type of problem with McAfee, I though I am in Domain Admin
it does not let me manage it unless my account is directly in the
Administrators group.

Has any one else seen this? Is this a policy setting somewhere?

- Andrew

2. Discover not compeletly downloading

3. I am trying to protect my share folder with password....I am using WinXP OS.

4. comp.unix.aix Frequently Asked Questions (Part 1 of 5)

5. registry " I think I am missing winsock

6. Sample Dicom -- Java -- Client Retriever / Pusher (package from zmed)

7. Web Install Programs Think I Am A Mac

8. Modem from a payphone

9. Registering a DNS name, what am I doing wrong?

10. I am in the same fix but i just moved DNS

11. How to get the DNS address that I am using?

12. Audit of Administrator Logons - what am I doing wrong?

13. Disabling Users - Am I missing Something Simple???