Findingf"search" of "windows explorer"-not internet explorer.

Findingf"search" of "windows explorer"-not internet explorer.

Post by Richard Considin » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 02:52:24

The system, stripped out by "tech level l3" of Dell, and
replacing files stored, some important files are not
showing, and I am told to search in "Windows Explorer"-
not internet explorer.
How to I get to the window to file some "run" codes
suggested to try?

1. Explorer "Read" access but deny "copy" and "write"

Ladies and Gentlemen, It might be a silly question but is there anyway
for a user to be able to open a file (read access) but not write to it
or copy it to a different location (i.e. his local desktop)? Now I
know what your thinking "if they can open it cant they do a 'save as'?
Well lets say that we could "tweak" the app so it would not show this
feature, can you deny the user from copying to another location
through Explorer? I'm sure this is confusing many, if you need any
further details please don't hesitate to ask.

**Details**

I need to have a drive mapped so an application can set it as it's
"working" directory.....what will then happen is depending on what
credentials are used to long into the app. the user will have the
appropriate rights to see or not see things depending on what the
administrator has previously determined....the problem is that since
the drive is mapped the user can open my computer, open the mapped
drive , copy the files locally, burn them on a CD and open them at
home with out any specific security settings tied into his username
and password since the app is not in a "domain"/admin-client mode.
Essentially the user will be able to see the whole file with read
write access.
I guess what I could try to do is hide the "mapped drive" in explorer
but if the user was savvy enough (i.e. \\server\data1) or by chance
went to the root of the server he could still see things.

I hope this is a better explanation, your help is very much
appreciated.

PS I played around with the advanced security settings in W2KS but
couldn't get what I needed? Third party tool maybe, or is it just not
doable?

Mike

2. 32Mb vs Bandwith? HELP

3. Windows 2000 Server SP2 Explorer "Sharing" and "Properties" Will Not Open

4. FR-NANTES Call for PhD Position (for EU citizens only)

5. runtime error when starting "my computer" or "internet explorer"

6. How do you force quit on a Blue/White G3?

7. Windows explorer view switches always from "details" back to "little icons"

8. Relay domain list, restarting

10. Can't find "Explorer" or "My Computer"

11. "New" and "SendTo" Missing from Explorer

12. "My AD Folder" between "My Documents" and "My Computer"?

13. "Start" "Run" "????????"