Weird Cursor then Freezes PC

Post by Dennis Voge » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 03:59:16

Just installed Windows 2000 on a new PC and it's doing two weird things.

Sometime the cursor changes to a ball in the middle with a triangles on top
and bottom and the mouse freezes. I have to reboot.

And this thing where the cursor jumps to the default button will not go
away. I've tried turning it off several times but it will not turn off.

Anyone have any idea what to do?

Thanks,

Dennis

Weird Cursor then Freezes PC

Post by Omor » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 02:16:00

Is your anti-virus software updated ??
Is there any error in the event viewer ??

Quote:> Just installed Windows 2000 on a new PC and it's doing two weird things.

> Sometime the cursor changes to a ball in the middle with a triangles on
top
> and bottom and the mouse freezes. I have to reboot.

> And this thing where the cursor jumps to the default button will not go
> away. I've tried turning it off several times but it will not turn off.

> Anyone have any idea what to do?

> Thanks,

> Dennis

Weird Cursor then Freezes PC

Post by Dennis Voge » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 04:50:21

I get the live updates from Norton just about every day. Do you think that
could be the problem?

I haven't seen any problems with Norton Internet Security.

It does seem to happen only when I'm doing something Internet related, but
maybe not.

If I think of it the next time it happens I'll see if I can do a screen dump
and crop it and save it (without the mouse). Is it ok to post a small
graphic here?

Dennis

> Is your anti-virus software updated ??
> Is there any error in the event viewer ??

> > Just installed Windows 2000 on a new PC and it's doing two weird things.

> > Sometime the cursor changes to a ball in the middle with a triangles on
> top
> > and bottom and the mouse freezes. I have to reboot.

> > And this thing where the cursor jumps to the default button will not go
> > away. I've tried turning it off several times but it will not turn off.

> > Anyone have any idea what to do?

> > Thanks,

> > Dennis

Weird Cursor then Freezes PC

Post by George Heste » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 03:11:49

Sure as long as it is a gif.  No bmp's or doc's please.  And what is a
"default" button?  Do you have an entry in C:\Program Files or in Add/Remove
called Comet Cursor?  And lastly if all else seems normal I'd say you have
display driver troubles.

--
George Hester
_________________________________

> I get the live updates from Norton just about every day. Do you think that
> could be the problem?

> I haven't seen any problems with Norton Internet Security.

> It does seem to happen only when I'm doing something Internet related, but
> maybe not.

> If I think of it the next time it happens I'll see if I can do a screen
dump
> and crop it and save it (without the mouse). Is it ok to post a small
> graphic here?

> Dennis

> > Is your anti-virus software updated ??
> > Is there any error in the event viewer ??

> > > Just installed Windows 2000 on a new PC and it's doing two weird
things.

> > > Sometime the cursor changes to a ball in the middle with a triangles
on
> > top
> > > and bottom and the mouse freezes. I have to reboot.

> > > And this thing where the cursor jumps to the default button will not
go
> > > away. I've tried turning it off several times but it will not turn
off.

> > > Anyone have any idea what to do?

> > > Thanks,

> > > Dennis

Weird Cursor then Freezes PC

Post by Peter Sander » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 03:29:44

The ball with an arrow at top and bottom is the cursor that appears with
certain manufacturers wheel mice when you click the centre wheel, or the
centre button on some 3 button mice. This cursor usually allows fast
scrolling up and down of pages by moving the mouse slightly.
Are you sure that your mouse is not faulty.
I would try another mouse and/or install updated mouse drivers

Quote:> Just installed Windows 2000 on a new PC and it's doing two weird things.

> Sometime the cursor changes to a ball in the middle with a triangles on
top
> and bottom and the mouse freezes. I have to reboot.

> And this thing where the cursor jumps to the default button will not go
> away. I've tried turning it off several times but it will not turn off.

> Anyone have any idea what to do?

> Thanks,

> Dennis

Weird Cursor then Freezes PC

Post by Bob Irela » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 01:00:32

Do you have a "wheel" mouse and are clicking the the wheel?

Bob I.

Quote:> Just installed Windows 2000 on a new PC and it's doing two weird things.

> Sometime the cursor changes to a ball in the middle with a triangles on
top
> and bottom and the mouse freezes. I have to reboot.

> And this thing where the cursor jumps to the default button will not go
> away. I've tried turning it off several times but it will not turn off.

> Anyone have any idea what to do?

> Thanks,

> Dennis

Weird Cursor then Freezes PC

Post by Dennis Voge » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 23:17:38

Hi Bob,

I'm usig a Kensington track ball.

> Do you have a "wheel" mouse and are clicking the the wheel?

> Bob I.

> > Just installed Windows 2000 on a new PC and it's doing two weird things.

> > Sometime the cursor changes to a ball in the middle with a triangles on
> top
> > and bottom and the mouse freezes. I have to reboot.

> > And this thing where the cursor jumps to the default button will not go
> > away. I've tried turning it off several times but it will not turn off.

> > Anyone have any idea what to do?

> > Thanks,

> > Dennis

Weird Cursor then Freezes PC

Post by Bob Irela » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 06:15:24

Sort of sounds like the wrong driver is being used for the TrackBall. You
may want to check to see what Windows thinks you are using for a pointing
device in hardware manager and / or reload the driver.

Bob I.

> Hi Bob,

> I'm usig a Kensington track ball.

> > Do you have a "wheel" mouse and are clicking the the wheel?

> > Bob I.

> > > Just installed Windows 2000 on a new PC and it's doing two weird
things.

> > > Sometime the cursor changes to a ball in the middle with a triangles
on
> > top
> > > and bottom and the mouse freezes. I have to reboot.

> > > And this thing where the cursor jumps to the default button will not
go
> > > away. I've tried turning it off several times but it will not turn
off.

> > > Anyone have any idea what to do?

> > > Thanks,

> > > Dennis

1. Weird Cursor then Freezes PC

You pressed the wheel and the button under the wheel and activated the auto
scroll feature. When you see it you can move the mouse up or down to vary
the auto scroll speed, or just press down on the wheel again and deactivate
it.

Scotty

2. installing office

3. FReeze!!FReeze!!FReeze!!FReeze!!FReeze!!

4. Finding IP address of the local PC in Win95

5. cursor freezes in dos application

6. Repost:Pathorks Laser Printer Problem

7. Freezing cursor problem

8. 4.6 & 5.0.8 on same PC

9. cursor freezes at varying times

10. cursor freeze ups