UPS shutdown

Post by Jeff » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 07:37:36

I have a Windows 2000 server with a usb APC battery backup attached.  What
is the best way to have the system shutdown gracefully in the case of an
unattended power failure?  I have loaded the software that came with the APC
but it has no shutdown feature.  I want the machine to completely shutdown
and then restart when the power is restored.

Thanks
jeff

UPS shutdown

Post by Stuart Macki » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 07:51:25

Jeff what software did you install ? I have the APC Smart UPS 1000 and the
software that comes with it is Power Chute Plus 5.1.  I don't think your
unit came with the software but I think it can be bought as an extra.  Check
your unt's details on their web site.  The software allows pretty much every
options you could require.   Currently my unit is set to start shutdown
sequence  5 mins after a power failure (5 mins just in case it comes back
on).  The O/S then has 2 minutes to close any releveant running services and
software, and then 2 minutes to shutdown (only takes 10-20 secs to do it,
but left a safety margin).  The UPS unit goes onto standby.  If the power
comes back on the UPS powers up and recharges.  Once it get to 50 or 90%
charge (Can't remember which one) it restarts the system.

I've used a relatively basic setup and there is many optins.  If your unit
support the software or similar then thats your best bet.  I'd contact APC
and they should be able to help.

Stuart.

Quote:> I have a Windows 2000 server with a usb APC battery backup attached.  What
> is the best way to have the system shutdown gracefully in the case of an
> unattended power failure?  I have loaded the software that came with the
APC
> but it has no shutdown feature.  I want the machine to completely shutdown
> and then restart when the power is restored.

> Thanks
> jeff

UPS shutdown

Post by Peter Gu » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 08:01:41

afaik, the only way to do that is using the UPS's software, there's no way for the OS to tell when it's on battery power.  Are you sure your software has no shutdown feature?  That's 90% of the reason for UPS software.
hth,

-Peter

I have a Windows 2000 server with a usb APC battery backup attached.  What
is the best way to have the system shutdown gracefully in the case of an
unattended power failure?  I have loaded the software that came with the APC
but it has no shutdown feature.  I want the machine to completely shutdown
and then restart when the power is restored.

Thanks
jeff

UPS shutdown

Post by Nimbu » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 08:45:46

You may be interested in knowing you can download 5.2.1 from APC's site for
free.

> Jeff what software did you install ? I have the APC Smart UPS 1000 and the
> software that comes with it is Power Chute Plus 5.1.  I don't think your
> unit came with the software but I think it can be bought as an extra.  Check
> your unt's details on their web site.  The software allows pretty much every
> options you could require.   Currently my unit is set to start shutdown
> sequence  5 mins after a power failure (5 mins just in case it comes back
> on).  The O/S then has 2 minutes to close any releveant running services and
> software, and then 2 minutes to shutdown (only takes 10-20 secs to do it,
> but left a safety margin).  The UPS unit goes onto standby.  If the power
> comes back on the UPS powers up and recharges.  Once it get to 50 or 90%
> charge (Can't remember which one) it restarts the system.

> I've used a relatively basic setup and there is many optins.  If your unit
> support the software or similar then thats your best bet.  I'd contact APC
> and they should be able to help.

> Stuart.

> > I have a Windows 2000 server with a usb APC battery backup attached.  What
> > is the best way to have the system shutdown gracefully in the case of an
> > unattended power failure?  I have loaded the software that came with the
> APC
> > but it has no shutdown feature.  I want the machine to completely shutdown
> > and then restart when the power is restored.

> > Thanks
> > jeff

1. UPS multiple system shutdown

I've got around 40-some-odd NT/2000 servers in our data center.  I've tried
executing a batch file of "shutdown" commands, but it takes way too long for
each one to execute and only 50% of them are even successful.  By the time
it gets about 3/4 of the way down the list, the UPS is dead.

Is anyone else using something they'd recommend for this kind of thing?  We
have PK Electronics UPSs with a crappy program called SmartMon that monitors
them.

2. US West Gets Smart: CLASS Billing

3. Belkin AVR-500VA UPS questions and Win2000 shutdown problems

4. Autorun CD for Web Page

5. Shutdown with ups

6. Need info on NEC PC-VCR

7. I shutdown my computer use shutdown program everytime but it check harddisk ever

8. Tools program for generate KBD table file

9. Abort shutdown in a shutdown script?

10. shutdown: why my machine cannot shutdown successfully.

11. Shutdown Script doesn't Really Shutdown

12. Shutdown...doesn't shutdown..it always restarts...HELP

13. Shutdown - Can it shutdown completely?